Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
In general in pa my shots on deer are never over 100yds ever.
I'm looking to go with barnes bullets in 7mm-08, 7x57,
308, 300 savage, and 270.

Any reason you all would pick the tsx or the ttsx?
All I've ever used was an interlock type bullet?

Thanks for any help.

HR IC

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
At your ranges, it shouldn’t matter. It’s my understanding that the TTSX will open at a lower velocity than the TSX……which again shouldn’t be an issue at your expected shooting distances expected. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Sounds good thanks

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For your application it seems you were already in good shape using Interlocks.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman2006
In general in pa my shots on deer are never over 100yds ever.
I'm looking to go with barnes bullets in 7mm-08, 7x57,
308, 300 savage, and 270.

Any reason you all would pick the tsx or the ttsx?
All I've ever used was an interlock type bullet?

Thanks for any help.

For deer? With those cartridges, I'd just keep using the interlocks. I really like the Hornady interlock bullet. If you were going elk hunting, or moose hunting, I'd step up to a TTSX, or a partition, but not for deer. Just me though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I'm very new to reloading and bullet performances. I appreciate the input!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I assumed, shouldn’t have, that you wanted to go with the Barnes Bullets. With your cartridges, ranges, and game…..I’d not hesitate to use an Interlock. They are darn good bullets! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman2006
I'm very new to reloading and bullet performances. I appreciate the input!

You'll find that a lot of us like the Hornady interlock. Often times called the "poor man's partition". Like most cup and core bullets, I always load heavy for caliber/cartridge, when using them. Even though, they seem to be tougher than other cup and cores. Probably because of the interlock ring Hornady uses. Sounds like you've used the interlocks too, so you know what we are taking about. Some guys say the sp (spitzer) holds together a little better than the BTSP. The flat based SP is really all you need, if only shooting to 100 yards and less. I've had excellent luck with the 150gr SP interlock in the 300 savage and 308 winchester. The 139's will work great in your 7mm's, and even though I said I'd use the SP, the 140gr BTSP works great in the 270. I sold a guy here a 270 winchester for his daughter, and she used a 140gr BTSP in that rifle for moose. It worked great, according to him. For a close range 270, I wouldn't be afraid of using a 150gr SP interlock either.

Of course, with this being said, if you want to try the barnes bullets out, give them a try. I used a 140gr TTSX in my little 7mm-08 on my last bull elk, and it worked perfectly. I did not recover the bullet though. Elk didn't even take a step.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
This is great information. I have loaded a fair amount of different loads with the hornady interlocks but I just haven't got the best accuracy yet. I did some ready about the accuracy and performance of these barns and thought I'd give them a try. I've got lots to learn yet I guess I was most curious if anyone had negative experiences with the hollow point compared to the tipped bullet . Thanks again everyone.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If your loading into a magazine, the TSX will give you a shorter overall length, or more case volume when seated to the same length.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you are wanting to try the mono's I'd always default to the tipped variety myself. I think having the tip really buys some extra insurance to make sure you get a great killing shot. Since you're new to loading, maybe drop back a bullet weight from what you typically use in a Hornady. Meaning if you are using 139's in the 7mm, try the 120 TTSX, similar for the Savage, if you use 150 Hornadys in it, try the 130 TTSX.

Good luck. Sounds like a solid winter project!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If I shoot mono bullets I shoot tipped because I think it helps with expansion and I shoot light and fast.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I like the TTSXs, because like others here, I believe the tip helps with expansion. I have no experience on game with the TSXs, but all that I've tried have done very well on paper.

It's interesting to experiment with different components, but for the scenario you stated, you won't get any better result than you're getting now, with the Interlocks. I still use them for all my NE deer hunting. They're also easy on the wallet.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In the interest of economics I would stick with the Interlocks for deer.

If you choose copper bullets I would recommend the tipped copper bullets, they seem to provide more reliable and consistent expansion.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In my experience Interlock bullets are very accurate (sub MOA). I suggest you work on your load development. Powder charge, seating depth, etc.

In 270 Win, try the 130 interlocks with about 54gr of H4350.

However, at 100 yards, for PA deer, 2-3” groups are more than sufficient. Terminal performance of the Interlock on deer is exceptional.

Nothing against Barnes - they are equally as accurate - but at 2-3X the cost of Interlock.

Last edited by Stammster; 01/17/24.
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Tipped it is guys. I will also play with the interlocks some more for the accuracy. I've questioned the quality of the hornady bullet but I've heard enough to keep you using them. Thanks for the input guys! Campfire is great!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have used the TTSX with factory loads in my .243 and the results were great. Very accurate and amazing amount of damage for an 80grn bullet. I recently started handloading and used 130grn TTSX in my 300 Win Mag with great results. Doe in Georgia went down like struck by lightning.

Cant speak to the TSX having never used them.

My goal for the offseason is to have a TTSX load developed and ready in my .308, 6.5CM and my 7-08. The .308 has proven finicky but the 6.5 and the 7-08 are looking great at the range. I think I am going to give the 145grn LRX a try in my 7-08. I load some for my cousin to use in his CA Mesa 7-08 and it loves them on top of a full load of Varget.

Good luck with your loading.

Clifford

A man without a stick will get bitten even by sheep.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Over the years, I have used TSX and TTSX almost exclusively as my big game bullet choice, and never experienced a lack of terminal performance, or any lack of accuracy. I use Hornady Interlock bullets for my .45-70 loads, but everything else in my hunting rifle calibers uses a TSX or TTSX. Load em up and try em! Good luck, and happy shooting. 😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've shot quite a few of both in exact same rifles.
my observations would be the ttsx does have a better BC seems to open up a bit wider and a bit quicker that's probably more reliable though I can't prove that.

the TSX has always shot just a slightly bit better groups than the ttsx for me and is more friendly to limited magazine length.. no I have actually have zero examples of not opening up correctly I have heard of such..
I would use either one without hesitation at all. I would probably choose something different though if I was shooting a lower velocity cartridge that say such as a 300 blackout , I would choose a bit more of a fragile bullet I guess would be the term something that opens a bit more violently such as a nosler ballistic tip or the lrx

Last edited by ldholton; 01/17/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
If you are wanting to try the mono's I'd always default to the tipped variety myself. I think having the tip really buys some extra insurance to make sure you get a great killing shot. Since you're new to loading, maybe drop back a bullet weight from what you typically use in a Hornady. Meaning if you are using 139's in the 7mm, try the 120 TTSX, similar for the Savage, if you use 150 Hornadys in it, try the 130 TTSX.

Good luck. Sounds like a solid winter project!

Excellent advice. The OP also states he is not getting the best accuracy with the interlocks. That has not been my experience. Generally they are excellent. Sometimes even shooting better than the Sierra gameking, which is also a favorite of mine.

When loading the interlocks, I always go by my rule of .020" off the lands, and find OCW. It also helps to use an optimum powder for the cartridge I'm loading. I know you mess around with your seating depth (OAL), but with the interlocks, .020" off the lands works wonderfully. Takes a lot of guess work out of it. At least in my experience, and I've used the interlocks on some of my longest shots, where accuracy really mattered, and also some of my closest shots, where bullet integrity really matters.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,080
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.