Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm getting a whitetail shoulder mount done. He has a drop tine and an extra point on his right side. I was thinking of having him done with a slight turn to the left to show off the drop tine but the taxidermist suggested that a slight turn to the right would show him off better because people tend to look more at the inside antler. I've done almost all of my previous mounts straight so would be interested in what you think and see any mounts you have done.
Here is the buck.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Blacktailer; 01/17/24.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a fine looking buck. I'm not sure but most taxidermists have told me that a slight turn looks more natural. Whatever you choose, I hope it turns out great.

What did you shoot him with? You know we're all gun nuts

Last edited by JD45; 01/17/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of mine have some type of turn and agree with you on the left turn - semi-sneak/left turn is how I'd roll (with offset ears positioned back).

Since I started using this hanging system, it sure takes a lot of head-scratching on turns/positions - you can make about anything work and aren't bound to a specific turn for a specific area on a wall.

https://fullrangesystems.com/products/single-system-1

Nice buck!

WWP53D
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SKane
All of mine have some type of turn and agree with you on the left turn - semi-sneak/left turn is how I'd roll (with offset ears positioned back).

Since I started using this hanging system, it sure takes a lot of head-scratching on turns/positions - you can make about anything work and aren't bound to a specific turn for a specific area on a wall.

Nice buck!

I also agree with the left turn. Thats a great Buck. I would stick that Drop tine out there. People wont be looking at that inside antler when they see that Drop tine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I mentioned when you first posted your deer, he is unique and beautiful. I would hire an exceptional Taxidermist/Artist and tell him to do a great job.

You will pay more, but in the end, if you have to look at it every day and because he is so unique, it's nice to look at a beautiful mount compared to an average Taxidermist's work.

Here is one of my Whitetails done by a Pro, very subtle and natural.

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/17/24.

KB

IC B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
In Tucson I worked for a taxidermist while I was going to school a long time ago. He looks like a nice old buck felled with a clean shot. Congratulations! Some questions to consider: Where he will hang has the most bearing on left, right or straight on. How high on the wall. What shape will the cape be in after tanning as in bald spots, ear damage, loss of hair from dragging, bullet holes, old scars. I like to try and go with what I remember him looking like when I found him. Head up ears forward or head down ears back sneaking out. Texas heart shots should be forgotten. What state is he from?

Greater love has no one than this,that he lay down his life for his friends.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A soft left turn.

1Minute
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Which ever you choose it should look awesome.

I'd try to show off the drop tine though.

Nice buck!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Alert and slight turn left

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I like a turn and or a wall pedestal with a turn. Another important thing is ear placement. My guys avoid the straight out look. We call it " following the beams".

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nice buck!
Use any of those with mounts with a plaque on the back?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input! I was lucky enough to take that deer in the panhandle of Texas near Dalhart. Used my wife's Kimber Super America that I had rebarreled to 6.5 Creed. 1 factory Hornady 143 ELD-X through the boiler room did the trick at about 55 yards.
You can't see it in the pic but he also has a little fishtail point on the right side which I think is another reason to put that side forward in a slight left turn.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m in a similar dilemma. I have never been much of a taxidermy person, have one other animal mounted, and this fall ended up with two at the shop to be mounted.

My buck was an easy choice, he’ll be a left turn semi sneak to oppose my other mulie that’s mounted in a right turn semi sneak and they’ll flank the mantle of our future living room similar to pics I remember BobinNH posting of his monsters.

My wife’s buck on the other hand we’re undecided on. He has a notched right ear which is cool but his cape is pretty poor. He’d rubbed the hair off a good bit of his brisket and has a tennisball sized bald spot on the back of his neck. The bald spot on the back of his neck was from the 4 extra “brows” that grew off the rear of both bases. Those points off the rear are cool too but nearly impossible to display on the wall. We haven’t really been able to come up with any good ideas other than a pedestal, which is out of the question due to space concerns.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Full sneak with a slight turn to the left.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 1minute
A soft left turn.

That

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Id probably go left turn, but it'd also depend on where you're placing it in the house.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a similar situation with a red stag. It had unique drop tines on his right antler, so I had the head turned somewhat left to show that unique antler.

I don’t think people tend to look at the ‘inside antler’, but have never really thought about it. I certainly do not regret having the left facing pose of this particular mount.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer

Nice buck!

No sir, have not. But the plaque could likely be removed to do so? 🤷🏼‍♂️

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

Nice buck!

No sir, have not. But the plaque could likely be removed to do so? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Thanks! And I am sure it could, but not sure I want to do that to the two I have with the plaque. My first buck that my dad had mounted for me and his best. Sentimental thing with those two...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm a semisneak guy, not a real fan of alert poses

Great buck!

I'm coming around on full sneaks, buddys daughter killed a nice buck on my property but hide was tore apart from fighting so a full sneak with a slight turn is what the taxidermist used in order to use less cape. Looked wonderful and nice change to what you may already have hanging on the wall. Would really show off that drop.

Last edited by killerv; 01/18/24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,530
Posts18,509,800
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.