Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hi all,
Anyone here have first hand knowledge of this outfitter?
I was high bidder at a RMEF banquet for one of their hunts and am planning on booking a week next year.
First time going to Africa so I am a noobie and looking forward to it a great deal!!

Thanks all!!

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to them, "are a well knone name in the hunting industry all over africa."

Humm

Have fun.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I'm jealous. Treasure every minute and start saving now for a 2nd trip.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW - Make sure you read the fine print on the hunting contract and have been informed on every cost from arrival to receiving your trophies (assuming you want them). Sometimes the undisclosed costs can mount up damn quickly on a donated/budget hunt.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have no knowledge of this outfit. My comments below are regarding any/all "donated" hunts.

1. FREQUENTLY, these donated hunts are used as a "hook" to get prospective clients on the property/in camp.

2. The species "included" in the donated hunt are typically very common and sometimes overpopulated on the game farm or area. This is one way to help remove excess game. See 3 below.

3. Once you're there, the hope is they will be able to sell you additional animal at extra "trophy fee" prices. This is where they make their money. So.....

4. BEFORE you go, make sure they provide you a written price list of what the "daily rate" is IF you want to add extra days. SOMETIMES, the cost of adding extra days is way over what their "normal" rates are or others are charging in the area.

5. Get a list of the cull and/or trophy fee prices of all other species on offer on the property before you commit to dates with them or send any money.

6. Compare their list of fees and rates with other outfits in the the area to see if they are generally in line with what others are charging for the same.

7. SOMETIMES (Again not saying this particular outfit operates this way) those offering the donated hunts will simply put you on game that meets the countries or provinces minimum "trophy" sizes. SOMETIMES they will bust their butts to get you on the best they can actually find in the hopes of building their reputation......sometimes.

It appears from their website they are primarily booking agents/outfitters. I'm basing that on the number of "Hunting Areas" they list. It would be highly unusual for the primary owners to actually hold PH licenses for all those areas. Since they list multiple provinces in RSA, Namibia and Mozambique, I'm pretty sure to hold a PH license there you have to be citizen or at least a legal permeant resident. And since they are listing entire provinces and entire countries and not specific game farms/ranches concessions etc, that would lead me to believe they are book for multiple PH's and/or farms/ranches and likely might not conduct the actual hunt themselves. And the fact that on their website under "GENERAL" "PAYMENT" they explain the extra cost for going to Namibia and Mozambique.

Since under that same section, they have a LOT of info about their "Donation" hunts. That would lead me to believe "Donation" hunts are one of their main marketing tools.

I've looked over their price list...with certain exceptions, they are quoting the same prices for all of RSA. Daily rates look pretty reasonable. They don't include any photos of the lodging so, I'd be asking SPECFICALLY where I'd be hunting and requesting photos of the lodging where I'd be staying.

If it were me, before I made any more financial commitment, I be getting them to provide EXACTLY where and with whom I'd be hunting - specific names, places and game farms.

IF you decide to go, I would seriously consider go for 10-full hunting days. Why? It's going to cost you the same in airfare and it's going to take you two or maybe three calendar days to get to "camp" and two days to get home. Do you want to spend 5-day traveling to get there and back just to hunt for seven? Next reason is, the first three days you're there, your pretty much running on adrenaline. You're going to have several sleepless nights before you go, you're going to have a LONG ass flight just between the US and Jberg etc. The first couple of days there, you're going to be on a little bit of "sensory overload" with it all. Sometime at the 3-4 days in, you're going to "hit the wall". Lastly, by adding a couple of more days, you'll have time to be a little more selective on the heads you take and not feel you have to shoot the fist one the PH puts the sticks up for you. Those three extra days will make a world of difference for your trip. Example, I met a guy in Atlanta a couple of years ago who had "won" a 5-day PG hunt. He was spending 5-days of travel just to hunt 5-days. He contacted me when I got home. He said he was glad he took a lot of pictures because it all happened so fast, he couldn't remember much! LOL. Lastly, every things I've always heard anyone say they is "I wish I'd could could have stayed longer".

Again, for the third time, I'm not saying nor implying anything negative nor positive about them. I'd just need a LOT more specific info before I gave them any more coin of the realm.

As STRSWilson said above but in a different way...the devil is in the details.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by M3taco
I have no knowledge of this outfit. My comments below are regarding any/all "donated" hunts.

1. FREQUENTLY, these donated hunts are used as a "hook" to get prospective clients on the property/in camp.

2. The species "included" in the donated hunt are typically very common and sometimes overpopulated on the game farm or area. This is one way to help remove excess game. See 3 below.

3. Once you're there, the hope is they will be able to sell you additional animal at extra "trophy fee" prices. This is where they make their money. So.....

4. BEFORE you go, make sure they provide you a written price list of what the "daily rate" is IF you want to add extra days. SOMETIMES, the cost of adding extra days is way over what their "normal" rates are or others are charging in the area.

5. Get a list of the cull and/or trophy fee prices of all other species on offer on the property before you commit to dates with them or send any money.

6. Compare their list of fees and rates with other outfits in the the area to see if they are generally in line with what others are charging for the same.

7. SOMETIMES (Again not saying this particular outfit operates this way) those offering the donated hunts will simply put you on game that meets the countries or provinces minimum "trophy" sizes. SOMETIMES they will bust their butts to get you on the best they can actually find in the hopes of building their reputation......sometimes.

It appears from their website they are primarily booking agents/outfitters. I'm basing that on the number of "Hunting Areas" they list. It would be highly unusual for the primary owners to actually hold PH licenses for all those areas. Since they list multiple provinces in RSA, Namibia and Mozambique, I'm pretty sure to hold a PH license there you have to be citizen or at least a legal permeant resident. And since the are listing entire provinces and entire countries and not specific game farms/ranches concessions etc, that would lead me to believe they are book for multiple PH's and/or farms/ranches and likely might not conduct the actual hunt themselves. And the fact that on their website under "GENERAL" "PAYMENT" they explain the extra cost for going to Namibia and Mozambique.

Since under that same section, they have a LOT of info about their "Donation" hunts. That would lead me to believe "Donation" hunts are one of their main marketing tools.

I've looked over their price list...with certain exceptions, they are quoting the same prices for all of RSA. Daily rates look pretty reasonable. They don't include any photos of the lodging so, I'd be asking SPECFICALLY where I'd be hunting and requesting photos of the lodging where I'd be staying.

If it were me, before I made any more financial commitment, I be getting them to provide EXACTLY where and with whom I'd be hunting - specific names, places and game farms.

Again, for the third time, I'm not saying nor implying anything negative nor positive about them. I'd just need a LOT more specific info before I produced any more coin of the realm.

Sound advice. take it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by M3taco

It appears from their website they are primarily booking agents/outfitters. I'm basing that on the number of "Hunting Areas" they list. It would be highly unusual for the primary owners to actually hold PH licenses for all those areas. Since they list multiple provinces in RSA, Namibia and Mozambique, I'm pretty sure to hold a PH license there you have to be citizen or at least a legal permeant resident. And since the are listing entire provinces and entire countries and not specific game farms/ranches concessions etc, that would lead me to believe they are book for multiple PH's and/or farms/ranches and likely might not conduct the actual hunt themselves. And the fact that on their website under "GENERAL" "PAYMENT" they explain the extra cost for going to Namibia and Mozambique.

Again, for the third time, I'm not saying nor implying anything negative nor positive about them. I'd just need a LOT more specific info before I produced any more coin of the realm.

Sound advice. take it.

Couldn't have said it better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,169
Posts18,484,568
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.