Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
tomorrow.

The feeling is weird AF. In Alaska I went from job to job company to company all the time. My longest stint was 5 years with one company.

This time is different since I have been with this company for 9 years. Work has slowed down and this company expects 2024 to be kind of slow. There is a missile upgrade project coming to town supposedly this year. There are some aspects of it started now but it went from expecting to need 40+ electricians to needing 10 that they already have.

It is construction (feast or famine) I know, but I haven't had to worry about the work outlook for some time.

It is just weird, and definitely different than when I was younger and felt like I could take on the world.

Just throwing another log on the 'fire..................

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Best time for layoff is fishing opener or hunting opener imo

Sorry for your layoff though.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hate to hear it.

we're in a weird space at work too. Not sure whats going on but we're missing our numbers. Another quarter and we might have to let some people go

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Miller, Sorry to hear that...it's stressful. I am a tinfoil hat, coffee can burying prepper now from the terrible time of the Carter years. Two toddlers and a wife, and no jobs of any kind. My kids are still not much on eating venison, 44 years later.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My uncle got laid off recently. He was of the same mindset. Hard worker, and a good man. His company is top-heavy with management/admin people that were added after the first buyout. They'll learn, and I hope that he will be hired back when they learn that talent and that institutional knowledge is priceless.

I wish you all the best sir.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A good man always lands on his feet.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
My uncle got laid off recently. He was of the same mindset. Hard worker, and a good man. His company is top-heavy with management/admin people that were added after the first buyout. They'll learn, and I hope that he will be hired back when they learn that talent and that institutional knowledge is priceless.

Good post, and good luck to the OP. I've always worked in shipyards. Layoffs were very normal and expected, between contracts. You get used to the time off, and sometimes look forward to it. Hopefully the OP doesn't have to be laid off for too long.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Work’s slow at my job site and corporate wide. All of our mandatory and voluntary OT is gone. All of the contractor/temps have been let go and we’re about to return half of the onsite fork trucks that we lease.

I don’t expect a layoff but it’s been on everyone’s mind.

Things will turnaround OP but I know the stress.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That sucks but I thought your union was supposed to protect you from that. That is supposed to be why you pay dues right? Your dues went straight to Biden and your union masters showed they don't give a damn about you.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MAC
Thought your union was supposed to protect you from that. That is supposed to be why you pay dues right? Your dues went straight to Biden and your union masters don't give a damn about you.

Damn!

You should have considered a career in motivational speaking.

I’ve never heard anyone say that unions, much less unions in the trades protect anyone from a layoff. If anything layoffs come with the territory.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Around here, no one can find enough workers that will actually show up, be productive and can pass a piss test. The mines here pay crazy money and never have enough people. The work sucks and it is dirty but pretty much unlimited overtime.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Unfortunately that’s not the way it works. They probably hired two more office employees when they laid him off.

To the OP, you need to look at Williston ND or West Texas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by MAC
Thought your union was supposed to protect you from that. That is supposed to be why you pay dues right? Your dues went straight to Biden and your union masters don't give a damn about you.

Damn!

You should have considered a career in motivational speaking.

I’ve never heard anyone say that unions, much less unions in the trades protect anyone from a layoff. If anything layoffs come with the territory.

I have known a couple Unionistas that were convinced that the union kept them from getting laid off. One of them was one of the stupidest people I've ever met, Lol, dumber than Happy Camper dumb......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mr Miller, Sorry to hear of your predicament. Hope you get through it unscathed. Have you thought about doing your own gig?

Best for your future, regardless of path.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by chesterwy

Unfortunately that’s not the way it works. They probably hired two more office employees when they laid him off.

To the OP, you need to look at Williston ND or West Texas.

I haven't looked is the oil industry busy?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RMiller2
tomorrow.

The feeling is weird AF. In Alaska I went from job to job company to company all the time. My longest stint was 5 years with one company.

This time is different since I have been with this company for 9 years. Work has slowed down and this company expects 2024 to be kind of slow. There is a missile upgrade project coming to town supposedly this year. There are some aspects of it started now but it went from expecting to need 40+ electricians to needing 10 that they already have.

It is construction (feast or famine) I know, but I haven't had to worry about the work outlook for some time.

It is just weird, and definitely different than when I was younger and felt like I could take on the world.

Just throwing another log on the 'fire..................
I'd sure like to hear about this missile project. Sorry you got laid off. I'll bet it would be an interesting gig.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MAC
That sucks but I thought your union was supposed to protect you from that. That is supposed to be why you pay dues right? Your dues went straight to Biden and your union masters showed they don't give a damn about you.

That's not how it works in the Building Trades. With most of the Building Trades your job is to work yourself out of a job and go to the next job.

Union or non union, it doesn't matter. The "masters" care about nothing at the end of the day accept the bottom line.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MAC

Yeah, that's not how it works, not even close.

Blue Oval in KY has some calls (6/10's and some Sundays with incentive pay}. One of them does medium voltage cable terminations, that would be good for experience to later use here in Montana. Some work comes up here in Montana to do that same type of works. Pays 90% of lineman scale here, which is significantly higher than inside wireman scale.

Billings also has some work too (with OT) that I might call about on Friday.

Last edited by RMiller2; 01/17/24.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You were looking for a job when you found that one.
A good electrician shouldn't have trouble finding a job.
You may have to relocate.
You'd have a job within a week here.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
RMiller2,
Think positive and be ready to go to work. There will be an opportunity you never expected. Good luck we will say a few prayers for your family.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 16penny, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,066
Posts18,501,431
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.