Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thought I’d share some data collected with cfe 223 in different temps. I’m a pretty big fan of this powder and been using it for about 4 years now in three 308s and one 7mm-08. It’s not a temp stable powder but I have not had any issues hot/cold temps but have heard people bash this powder with big velocity swings and change point of impact. No doubt it shows velocity changes with temperature. I have a lot of data with several rifles but I’m only posting one of these
rifle results. Only posting velocities but I will add my load with this rifle shoots consistent groups of 1/2 to 1”. Another member here “Leftybolt” can confirm that. I will post my load info but as always this is for my gun not yours. Do your own load work up

Tikka super lite 308 with no mods
49.2 gr cfe 223
Federal brass/ cci 200 LR
150 gr hornady interlock
COL 2.8

Attached Images
IMG_1770 2 Medium.jpeg (39.6 KB, 277 downloads)
Last edited by Buckbandit; 01/17/24.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Trying to post picture. It’s not working

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Buckbandit
Thought I’d share some data collected with cfe 223 in different temps. I’m a pretty big fan of this powder and been using it for about 4 years now in three 308s and one 7mm-08. It’s not a temp stable powder but I have not had any issues hot/cold temps but have heard people bash this powder with big velocity swings and change point of impact. No doubt it shows velocity changes with temperature. I have a lot of data with several rifles but I’m only posting one of these
rifle results. Only posting velocities but I will add my load with this rifle shoots consistent groups of 1/2 to 1”. Another member here “Leftybolt” can confirm that. I will post my load info but as always this is for my gun not yours. Do your own load work up

Tikka super lite 308 with no mods
49.2 gr cfe 223
Federal brass/ cci 200 LR
150 gr hornady interlock
COL 2.8

No target pics to confirm accuracy? Or did you forget to post them?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Come on, BSA - don't be a jerk. The point of the post is the temp sensitivity. No target pics are needed to support that.
Tablature data (even in pencil) serves just fine.

Rex

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Come on, BSA - don't be a jerk. The point of the post is the temp sensitivity. No target pics are needed to support that.

Rex

Not being a jerk. I see now that he was trying to post pics. At that time, he didn't even have the written notes in the link. I was looking forward to seeing them. I've done similar tests with CFE223. It works much better in the 308, than it does the 223 rem, and even the 22-250, that I've tested it in as well. You can see that in load work up, and the accuracy nodes on paper. One reason I rely on targets to tell me what I'm looking for. Hopefully the OP will get the picture posting thing handled. My best suggestion there is to use postimage, or Imgur.

I appreciate some peoples input here, and actually found the same thing as the OP, in regards to the 308 and CFE223, except with a different bullet. I'm laying off posting pics on this subject, since some guys get offended. But you are right, writing it down here, works good enough, but like they say, "a picture is worth a 1,000 words". The only thing I'd caution about using CFE223 is when developing a load in the winter, be careful about approaching max. Watch the chrono if you have one, and pay attention to bolt lift. My load with 175gr SMK's was great from 45.5gr to 47 gr, but I got a stiff bolt lift at 47gr's and over book max velocity (like 2,790 fps with a 26" barrel). I backed my load off to 45.5gr's, and it's been great, even in 90+ degree temps.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I concur with Buckbandit.

My only concern with this powder would be working up loads in cold temps, as BSA mentioned, and then shooting those loads in hot weather(80 deg +). But that wouldn’t be smart with any powder(including very temp stable powders). For this reason, I try not to work up loads(with any powder) during the extreme heat of the summer or the coldest weather in the winter….I like to do load work
when temps are in the 50s - 70s, ideally.

If I find myself needing to shoot loads in very hot weather(here in Mississippi temps are often 90 deg + for about 1/2 to 2/3 of the year) then I’ll put those bullets in the freezer for an hour and then carry them to the range in a small cooler on ice. That way I can mimic(at least somewhat) how the load will shoot during colder hunting seasons.

I too am becoming a big fan of CFE 223 in my .308 Win. Velocities are great(better than Varget, which I really like, by the way😊) and the accuracy is definitely there as well.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 01/19/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Kinda funny that yall worry about load development in the cold then going to 80+ as being unwise but the fact is I have loads developed in the 80* mark that started getting very erratic pressure wise in the 95* area.

Swifty
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Swifty52,

That’s the point I was trying to make.
Hence, the reason I put bullets on ice when shooting in very hot temps. So, yes, I agree with you.
Some powders just behave differently once temps get really hot. I don’t tend to shoot/hunt in extreme heat, so it’s never been a problem for me.

I said in my earlier post that 50 - 70 deg. is my ideal temp for load work but I really prefer temps on the lower end of that range(50 - 60 deg.).

I’ll admit it….For any given cartridge/bullet/powder combination, I do like to find the fastest load, devoid of pressure signs, that still gives great accuracy…hunting accuracy that is(ie., 0.75” or less for 3 shots @ 100 yds).
I’ve found many of my most accurate loads are found right at or near book max. The nice thing is if I’m approaching max and I can’t find that accuracy node there’s almost always a node with the accuracy I’m seeking a grain or two below max. If not, then I’m usually switching powders.

Regardless, once temps hit 80 deg. I’m usually icing my bullets prior to shooting….YMMV.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 01/20/24.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TRexF16

Rex

Actually…I’ve seen POI change with changes in temperature but with only a small change in velocity. Another thing to look for as temps go down is the ES increases.

And some loads will not see a significant change until the low teens/single digits—whether be POI change, larger ES, or drop in velocity.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the info Buckbandit.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Buckbandit
Trying to post picture. It’s not working

Here you go…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (257robertsimp, 1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,876
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.