😂

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
You’re one of the primary candidates I was looking for!😀
In all my reading, I have never read a positive word of Custer from Benteen.
The guide at LBH said that “Benteen hated Custer, and Reno hated both of them.”
The Seventh was divided into factions, and this I believe brought about the massacre of five companies, and the siege against the others.
I believe that had Benteen acted quickly upon the orders, he may have been able to save at least some of Custer’s battalion.
Benteen had a hard on for Custer, and he took it to the grave.
Reon

Understood, but so what? Would that in any way exonerate any of Custers actions his final two days? He turned down heavy support in the form of Gatling guns good move, bad move, more importantly why? The last 36 hours he pushed mercilessly in what the Indians to a man said was one of if not the hottest period they could remember. Why?

Most importantly as supreme command he did not listen to his scouts as to the number of enemy combatants nor did he pause long enough to send out any other means of intelligence gathering to get a more positive estimation on the number of enemy.
In the face of overwhelming forces the guy divided his command not once, not twice, but into fourths when you factor in the supply train.
It doesn’t matter who hated who, what happened on any other date, what his war record was, nothing matters but a series of very bad, devastating decisions that were made by one person those last two days and Custer alone made those decisions. That’s the facts.
We can argue, we can listen to interpreters, scholars, Indians, whoever but the causes to those poor decisions at this point are anyone’s guess.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sorry 7… if that response wandered from the direction you were trying to go.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
With all due respect, (I know you have spent a helluva lotta time there).
Boston Custer, I believe the General’s nephew, had time to pass Benteen’s command on his way to the pack train for a fresh mount.
He made it back in time to die with George and Tom on Last Stand Hill.
This was about the same time Benteen received the orders from Custer.
“Big village, come quick, bring packs”
I give Colonel Benteen a helluva lotta credit for what he did on Reno hill, he held that perimeter together. Reno was in no shape to do it.
But I still believe that he had time to reach, possibly save Custer.
He had no desire to help Custer. He thought Custer had sent him on a goose chase to keep him outta the fight
My take is that Reno choked on his charge, and lost his head completely after Bloody Knife’s brains splashed his face.
When Benteen got to Reno Hill he couldn’t give a schit about Custer.
Weir asked Reno, in Benteen’s presence for permission to go to Custer’s aid.
With no answer, Weir went on his own. His company, and eventually the rest of the regiment, followed. (Probably to save face).

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
One thing for certain about Custer-he was a loser.....and spectacularly so.

Where was Custer April 9, 1865?
He still lost after the fact

Do you know where he was and what he did?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Yes

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Osky
Understood, but so what? Would that in any way exonerate any of Custers actions his final two days? He turned down heavy support in the form of Gatling guns good move, bad move, more importantly why?

Osky

If Custer had taken Gatling Guns, he would have survived. It would have taken him two more days to get there, dragging Gatling guns with condemned cavalry mounts. Rough country is not easily navigable with such equipment…

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What was it and where was he?

I don't know.

I am MAGA.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Real calvery men fought for the south

Didn’t know that.

Go look at who Custer fought, and whipped, at Gettysburg. And he did it on a horse. Supposedly, it was Lee’s best cavalry man.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Yes

July 1-3 1863?

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Here we go😂😂

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Yes

July 1-3 1863?
What ya wanna know

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well my ancestors were Confederates, so fugk Custer.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Curley, one of Custer's Crow scouts was a surviving witness and gave his account of what he saw. He is buried there in the National Cemetery.

Of course Crook's force mostly survived that's how they were able to return to the fort.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I don't know.

Appomattox, Custer captured Lees artillery and convinced Lee to meet Grant at the courthouse and meet the terms of surrender and end the Civil war. General Phil Sheridan purchased the table the treaty was signed on and presented it to Libby Custer…

In April 1865, the Rebels had surrendered to the Yankees, thus ending the Civil War. George Custer arrived on the other side of the war a hero. His actions at the Battle of the 1st Bull Run and subsequent heroic efforts helped bring about victory for the North. Shortly after the official signing of the South’s declaration of surrender Major General Phil Sheridan sent Elizabeth Custer a gift along with a note of explanation. It read, “My dear Madam – I respectfully present to you the small writing table on which the conditions for the surrender of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia were written by Lt. General Grant – and permit me to say, Madam, that there is scarecely an individual in our service who has contributed more to bring this about than your gallant husband.”

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Capt Benteen's hatred of Custer took a giant leap when Custer abandoned Major Elliot and his group at the Washita. Later in the spring, they found all their remains, after they had been killed by the Cheyennes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deltakid
Capt Benteen's hatred of Custer took a giant leap when Custer abandoned Major Elliot and his group at the Washita. Later in the spring, they found all their remains, after they had been killed by the Cheyennes.

Elliott left with 16 men without orders to attack a separate band of Cheyenne. When the Washita battle was complete another band of Cheyenne from farther down the river was observed attacking Custer’s battalion. Late in the day and vulnerable to a separate attack, Custer feigned an attack to set the attacking Indians back enough to allow his escape.

Major Elliott, leaving without orders, sealed his own fate as Custer protected his remaining battalion as they retreated, leaving Elliott for the sake of the protection of his immediate command. Benteen, a friend of Elliott, never forgave Custer…

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

I don't know.

Appomattox, Custer captured Lees artillery and convinced Lee to meet Grant at the courthouse and meet the terms of surrender and end the Civil war. General Phil Sheridan purchased the table the treaty was signed on and presented it to Libby Custer…

In April 1865, the Rebels had surrendered to the Yankees, thus ending the Civil War. George Custer arrived on the other side of the war a hero. His actions at the Battle of the 1st Bull Run and subsequent heroic efforts helped bring about victory for the North. Shortly after the official signing of the South’s declaration of surrender Major General Phil Sheridan sent Elizabeth Custer a gift along with a note of explanation. It read, “My dear Madam – I respectfully present to you the small writing table on which the conditions for the surrender of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia were written by Lt. General Grant – and permit me to say, Madam, that there is scarecely an individual in our service who has contributed more to bring this about than your gallant husband.”
Ok🥴

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by LBP
Well my ancestors were Confederates, so fugk Custer.
^^this

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

I don't know.

Iow, you are stating Custer was instrumental in maintaining the union, and in retrospect (today), that was a good thing?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (222Sako, 21, 257Bob, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 63 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,382
Posts18,527,587
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.