Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
My wife carries a j frame 38 on her walks with the dog. We live rural and at times she has a couple rounds of snake shot for a occasional rattle snake.
In the last few days there have been some Mountain lion sighting very close to our home. So I would like her to have the gun more accessible than in the belly bag she carries it in now. Although she does carry it over her shoulder its not very accessible in my opinion.
Any recommendations on a good chest rig? I would not mind one for a larger gun when hunting griz country.
I may have her try a few different options and actions but want her to be able to handle it in a stressful situation.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’m not sure about exactly what you’re looking for but I’ve used an El Paso tanker for 6 or 8 years for carrying 1911s, especially in the woods, and I like it a lot.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
"...but want her to be able to handle it in a stressful situation."

Gunfighters Inc.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most any of the quality “tanker style” holsters! I see holsters for this type of service much like the old expression “ keep your cards close to your chest”. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/18/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Alien Gear, you can always switch out the shell.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have tried the kenai gunfighter and its OK, I mainly use it for hiking in the summer. When I bow hunt in grizz country I usually put my gun on my pack belt. I have a montana holster company chest rig that I use a lot because I can fit 90% of my revolvers in it and it works great on an ATV or vehicle.
If I want to be discreet while hiking I use a Hill People gear chest pack. They all have their good and bad, I guess if I was going to recommend one it would be the Montana Holster Co.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WHAT ABOUT A BELLY BAND HOLSTER? Lot's of different styles.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the chesty puller rig made by simply rugged holster. Nothing fancy, but nice and well made. I purchased this with holster for my J frame model 63.
Worth a look.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks I will check these suggestions out
I like the kenai as a possibility for my self wonder how that would work with a binocular case on the chest?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have an S&W L Comp that is my woods gun. I wear it in a Diamond D Guides Choice Chest holster. It is designed to be worn over jackets. When I wear Binos, I sling the strap over my right shoulder and under my left arm. Like a paperboy used to carry his papers. The holster is worn underneath and is not affected during the draw.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Sweets
I have the chesty puller rig made by simply rugged holster. Nothing fancy, but nice and well made. I purchased this with holster for my J frame model 63.
Worth a look.
Nice rig.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer a HPG kit bag. It's out of sight when you want it to be and, with practice, it's very quick on the draw. If you want it more readily accessible you can attach to the front PALS panel. Mackay_Sagebrush uses an M4 magazine pouch - I have one on the way to give it a try. Not sure how the mag pouch on front would work with a J-frame though.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I would recommend Diamond D customs chest holster, I have 2 of them for a, Glock G40 and a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag and waiting on one for a Kimber K6S Target.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster

Last edited by hotdog; 01/20/24.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've been really pleased with The Chest Rig from Crossbreed Holsters. The quality is good & throwing it on is really easy. Once I got it adjusted, the fit is comfortable & it holds the pistol snug with a good draw. Basically everything I was looking for so I've been pleased with the purchase. Obviously a judgement call needs to be made on how well it would fit on a particular female.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm a broken record on the HPG. Kydex trigger guard tied to the tab with the lanyard length just enough so the grip sits at the end of bag allows you to leave the side unzipped for quick access. Not make/model specific, gun not exposed (if that's important), and handy for other little things as well. Just a super useful piece of gear.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the additional info.
Question : do any use a chest rig and a bino case?
I have the Eberlestock bino case and wonder what would be a good combo?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not exactly what you're asking, but I use the HPG with the Rick Young ultra-light bino harness and his neoprene cover when not using:

https://rickyoungoutdoors.com/basic-ultra-light-bino-harness/

https://rickyoungoutdoors.com/neoprene-binocular-cover/

They work well together on top of the HPG bag.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I carry several pistols in Simply Rugged chest rigs under a Badlands bino pack. Keep everything snug, fits fine. No problem drawing.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have both Simply Rugged chest rigs and an Alien Gear chest rig. I like both, but would lean to Simply Rugged

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I prefer the HPG Kit bag with the Molle front. Then attach an M4 mag pouch, which I slide my handgun into. This works very well for me. This last summer I Carried my Glock 22 .40 in there this way most the summer and it worked perfectly.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I need it to be more secure, I simply put the flap over it. The pouch itself has an elastic band sewn around the middle that is designed to put tension on the M4 magazines when the flap is open. Works great for handguns too.

Works for various sized autos. I have used it for standard and large frame Glocks, 1911s and an HK USP primarily.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (260Remguy, 1_deuce, 260madman, 280shooter, 1minute, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,531
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.