Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Matt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Has anyone tried the silent stalker fleece jackets from Cabelas? After the rain we got hit with last year in the Trinity Alps, I am looking for a slightly warmer and waterproof jacket. I really try to keep my pack weight down, so one garment which can cover multiple situations appeals to me. I also want the jacket for deer hunting Idaho.

I was wondering on the quality and especially on the weight/packability of the coat.

I was also looking at the Sitka 90pecent jacket, nice but it is only water resistant and a bit pricey. Also the camo patterns are a bit limited.

I am using Cabelas Microtex right now, but they tent to soak through in a heavy rain. Good fabric though. Any other suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...;Ntt=silent+stalker+fleece&noImage=0

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
To me, jackets are to do only one job. Keep me warm when it get's really cold. Nobody makes anything I've seen, or heard of, in fleece that can take the place of a jacket with one of the really warm fillings like down or the synthetic copycats. The only time I hunt in one is when I'm either glassing or moving very slowly on a really cold day. Otherwise, they heat up too much and don't pass moisture to any degree. If you keep wearing them, you get soaked on the inside which leaves you wide open to getting serious chilled when you stop.
I've used lots of down jackets over the years. But my current choices are Patagonia's Micro Puff Pullover or their DAS Parka. If I need to stay dry on the outside, I use one of my waterproof shells. I have ones that fit over either. Or they can be used with various layers of fleece if my more active. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 01/03/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Sitka 90% jacket will keep you dry in the rain but you'll need a fleece or other layer underneath to stay warm in the cooler temps. I had a buddy bowhunt moose this past September near Anchorage, it rained almost every day and he was very impressed with it's performance. After talking with him about the jacket I asked the wife for one for Christmas, which I got and will be wearing it on all my hunts this year.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 51 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,899
Posts18,518,456
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.