Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As a young gun nut I was always taught that a scope should be mounted as close to the center of the bore line as practical. I was told that cheek weld and proper eye alignment were two major reason for this - bolt lift geometry can also be a consideration.

So, my point.... I’m watching a tv hunting program involving a couple that have one rifle in particular that drives me crazy. It’s a Browning product with a 60* bolt lift. It features an adjustable comb, which is cranked up pretty high to accommodate the scope which looks to be mounted about 3” above the bore line. There’s plenty of room to drop that scope a good inch or more closer to the barrel - and yet, there it is...? Why would anyone do that?

It’s their rifle and they can put it together anyway that suits them, but I see no practical advantage and maybe some questionable disadvantages. It seems like the math geometry would favor a scope mounted lower close to the barrel and bore line of sight....

What are your thoughts?

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rick and Julie Krueger (?)? Her rifle was like that. I wondered the same.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey
Originally Posted by RicG
Rick and Julie Krueger (?)? Her rifle was like that. I wondered the same.

Yep

BT53

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have seen several like that. Saw a guy with a Ruger 450 with a riser picatinny scope mount. Probably at least 2" between the scope and barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my eye to fall directly behind the scope with very little sensory input. That's about 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 inch above the center of the bore line. I realize that is higher than some folks like but I have a hard time getting my face down to the scope with anything less. 3 inches is way out of line the other direction but I don't tell folks how to set up their scopes. I can only guess that is where he or she wants it to be.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They’re hunters and not gun people? I remember back when see through scope mounts were popular😂

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For most hunters, shooting at reasonable distances lower is better. For long range target shooting there are advantages.

With a typical hunting rifle with a scope 1" above the bore zeroed at 100 yards the bullet will never be more than 1" above, or below line of sight from the muzzle out to 130-150 yards depending on the cartridge and load, beyond that will always be low and predictable.

But when you start putting the scope 2" or higher you change the angle. With a 100 yard zero you end up with bullets 2" below where you're aiming up close and you could be 2-3" high at some point past 100 yards before dropping down again to zero.

All bullets have 2 zeros. Once when going up, the 2nd when coming down. Most of us with a 100 yard zero are actually zeroed at around 25 yards the 1st time. The bullet is on it's way down at 100 for the 2nd zero. With the scope mounted that high the 100 yard zero is the 1st one. It will also be zeroed again at 200-300 yards and be high between 100 and the 2nd zero.

Mounting it that high gives you more adjustment to your scope at long range, but can complicate things at the very ranges where most shots are taken in my opinion. But if you are planning on only taking 400+ yard shots it can be an advantage.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I usually like scopes mounted fairly low and I almost never use objectives over 44mm. Mostly I use medium and low rings so most of my scopes are around 1.5 inches above the bore on bolt actions. On AR-15's they are a bit higher due to Picatinny rails and the way AR's are configured.

But everyone has their own personal preferences.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
As a young gun nut I was always taught that a scope should be mounted as close to the center of the bore line as practical. I was told that cheek weld and proper eye alignment were two major reason for this - bolt lift geometry can also be a consideration.

That was also the "common wisdom" when I was a young rifle loony--but that was back when most commercial rifle stocks were primarily designed for "iron" sights. Consequently a good cheek-weld required the scope to be mounted as close as possible to the same height as open sights--which were often higher in some of that era's newer factory rifles, due to that factor.

Today's rifles usually have stocks designed for scopes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So, my point.... I’m watching a tv hunting program involving a couple that have one rifle in particular that drives me crazy. It’s a Browning product with a 60* bolt lift. It features an adjustable comb, which is cranked up pretty high to accommodate the scope which looks to be mounted about 3” above the bore line. There’s plenty of room to drop that scope a good inch or more closer to the barrel - and yet, there it is...? Why would anyone do that?

It’s their rifle and they can put it together anyway that suits them, but I see no practical advantage and maybe some questionable disadvantages. It seems like the math geometry would favor a scope mounted lower close to the barrel and bore line of sight....

What are your thoughts?

Mounting the scope higher over the bore line can have a lot of advantages.

A lot of this is dependant on stock fit.

A stock with a higher heel and comb controls recoil better as the recoil moment is more inline with the shoulder.

The AR is an example of the heel being directly inline of the bore line. This does require an optic to be fairly high above bore line but it works very well.

For very close range there is quite a bit of offset but that's workable. The max point blank range is extended a bit if that matters.

Now if the stock is a conventional stock with a lower comb then mounting the optic high seems sub optimal.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

What are your thoughts?

Whatever is comfortable for the shooting one does.

For what it is worth I got over the 'must be low' when I picked up a 20's era Waffenfabrik with Zeiss Zielvier in factory fitted Akah mounts and found it as easy to shoot accurately as any other, and more comfortable than some when standing up.

Last edited by JSTUART; 01/18/24.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still a good rule of thumb when scoping a levergun as most of their stocks are designed for use with iron sights. Drives me crazy to see scopes mounted a mile high on a classic Marlin levergun.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[quote/] Whatever is comfortable for the shooting one does.

For what it is worth I got over the 'must be low' when I picked up a 20's era Waffenfabrik with Zeiss Zielvier in factory fitted Akah mounts and found it as easy to shoot accurately as any other, and more comfortable than some when standing up.[/quote]

That’s the thing. They use several other Browning rifles that are all scoped lower in a conventional manner.

I’ve shot older European rifles with high claw mounts and find them really hard to shoot, since my cheek isn’t in proper contact with the stock - I’d rather use the irons....

BT53

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
AR's pretty much changed the 'lower is always better rule'. As long as you are in consistently repeatable position, you are good.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I usually like scopes mounted fairly low and I almost never use objectives over 44mm. Mostly I use medium and low rings so most of my scopes are around 1.5 inches above the bore on bolt actions. On AR-15's they are a bit higher due to Picatinny rails and the way AR's are configured.

But everyone has their own personal preferences.

Yep, bolt actions with 40mm objectives are generally 1.5" above the center of the bore line. AR's and some of my precision rifles are more like 1.8" above the center of the bore line. Most guys are not running 1", as they think they are. They are probably more like 1.5", as that is very common.

The higher off the bore line, the more the chance for things to go off skew if the rifle is canted. It is all about geometry, or trigonometry, more like it. A scope super high off the bore centerline, like what the OP is describing, offers no benefits when it comes to shooting way out there (past 500 yards). It increases the error if the scope is canted.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The higher off the bore line, the more the chance for things to go off skew if the rifle is canted. It is all about geometry, or trigonometry, more like it. A scope super high off the bore centerline, like what the OP is describing, offers no benefits when it comes to shooting way out there (past 500 yards). It increases the error if the scope is canted.

Yep!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Maybe it’s a sponsors product and must be visible?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yep, bolt actions with 40mm objectives are generally 1.5" above the center of the bore line. AR's and some of my precision rifles are more like 1.8" above the center of the bore line. Most guys are not running 1", as they think they are. They are probably more like 1.5", as that is very common.

The orginal iron sights on the AR are 2.650" over bore line. I doubt you are lowering the optic down to 1.8" over bore line.

2.765" over bore line is considerer 1/3rd lower co witness and most find that height pretty close to optimal for a scope mounted AR but some mounts go much higher.

The often refered 1.930" mounts are 3.055" over bore line +/-. Most mounts for the AR are speced from the top of the rail but that's not the real controlling dim in the Pict Spec.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Painted Post New York Top 5 in the Grand. Another Sightron on top.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've noticed our member and gunsmith Al Nyhus posting some rifles with the scope very high above the bore, and I would guess these are some pretty good shooters.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fixed distance with relatively heavy BR guns that you barely touch are a different ball of wax.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 12 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.