OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
need to install one ...they all the same , what should i know before buying one

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't have alot of insight,I would think bulb replacement and availability would be a need to know

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had one about 18 years ago at our business because we had a well and served some food so Health Department mandate with monthly sample testing. Biggest problem is occasional alarm and water stoppage(once alarm sounds, the system shuts down -no water) if I was not right on schedule with cleaning the bulb as they can get cloudy from calcium, etc Clean, reset and good to go but a PIA if it happened at an inconvenient time. Yes, have to change the bulb out occasionally, but I can't remember how often. But it did work well and maintained sanitary standards. They are much improved over the time since we had ours. Once we were able to hook up to public water, our system was basically outdated and not worth trying to resell.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It's not a filter, and if you have any particulates you'll need to filter upstream of the UV disinfection. If you have any particulates, pathogens can hide in their 'shadow' and be unaffected by the UV.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be sure to give yourself proper access for maintenance. Unlikethe installer that did it prior to us buying our house. I can access it. But not easily.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I use an aqua sauna Rhino system at the cabin. Bulb last 372 days I think? Audible alarm after 365 days so you have a week to replace. Keep a few spare bulbs on hand I think around $100.
I bought the purpose built well/spring filter system that has UV as the last step.
Their customer service is second to none.

On sale now, it’s a lot more than just the UV though.
Pre filter, salt free softener, post filter, then UV.
https://www.aquasana.com/whole-house-water-filters/

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/19/24.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AKislander
It's not a filter, and if you have any particulates you'll need to filter upstream of the UV disinfection. If you have any particulates, pathogens can hide in their 'shadow' and be unaffected by the UV.

Right. You need at least a good filter before the UV lamp. You can buy a UV water treatment SYSTEM that will have one to three cartridge filters followed by a UV lamp as the last step. If someone tries to sell you a UV "filter" that is a single canister walk away. The one I have gets a year out of the lamp.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mine tells me how many days before it needs to replaced, which is good. I am not able to replace it myself since the bulb isn't available to anyone but professional installers, which is not good.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bpas105
Mine tells me how many days before it needs to replaced, which is good. I am not able to replace it myself since the bulb isn't available to anyone but professional installers, which is not good.

Good chance you could find a source to order lamps, but I wouldn't want to trust the post office or UPS/FEDEX to deliver an intact one.

I can pick them up at the store I bought treatment system and install myself.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by bpas105

Good chance you could find a source to order lamps, but I wouldn't want to trust the post office or UPS/FEDEX to deliver an intact one.

I can pick them up at the store I bought treatment system and install myself.

The person who installed the system when we built the home is the only guy in the area that can get the bulbs. I've even contacted the manufacturer and can't buy them there. He's a decent guy, though.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Check out [quote]QUALITY WATER SYSTEMS[/quote]We've bought both a water softener and a UV filter from them. They sell replacement bulbs for their products.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.