Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep sounds fishy if it was that easy to replicate the guy should have known. But beyond that even here in Montana where its legal to have a loaded firearm in the vehicle I NEVER, repeat, NEVER put a rifle in the truck with a round in the chamber, so yeah, I think he broke rule #1 as well.
Wasn't there an incident in your AO a few years ago also involving a rifle and backseat?

Yep, killed a Doctor dragging a loaded rifle out of the back seat of a pickup. And the shooter was a Hunter safety Instructor....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
But it has three rings of steel! Lol.

Someone gets killed and you’re laughing. Classy POS

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
But it has three rings of steel! Lol.

Someone gets killed and you’re laughing. Classy POS

I think he was just being sarcastic.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think that of the four Remingtons I own, a BGL, two Classics and a Remington 660, the only one that really gave me any trouble was the m660 .308. Sent it in due to the recall and when the rifle and the trigger pull was a lot worse that when i sent it in. Rifle had a nice custom Mannlicher style stock but when I got it back it was dinged all to hell. mad I put it into an H&S Precision stock I'd seen in a gun rag. Drove up to Flagstaff, met the owner and he sold me a stock for the 660 and another for one of my 700s. I didn't much like it on the 700 but i still have it on the 660.

I've never had a problem with the factory trigger on my 700s but maybe it's because I had my gunsmith set them up right when I first acquired the rifle. Much of his custom build work is/was based on the Remington M700s so I figure he probably knows what works and does not work with those triggers.

Funny thing is knowing about that trigger problem I ended up using those rifles strictly as range guns. I think I did one deer hunt early on with the BDL, but that's all.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best fully adjustable trigger ever put in a bolt gun can also be the worst depending on the owners competence in maintaining and adjusting. Nevertheless a tragic and sad situation.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by crc1514
... Preventable and tragic.

This.

I'm really surprised at the number of folks who quickly thought it wasn't an accident. I can't say one way or the other, just surprised. "Just cause you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get 'ya"

Two guys I went to high school with had a similar accident when we were teens. One was standing on passenger side of the truck and one on the driver's side was unloading, or about to unload, his rifle in the front bench seat of the truck. I don't remember the exact details or rifle type/caliber, but there was an AD and the kid on the passengers side got hit in the leg. I think it may have gone through the door first but I can't remember. At any rate, the unloader drove the other to the rescue squad who took him to the hospital. Both were back as school on Monday, one with a bandaged up leg.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"I'm really surprised at the number of folks who quickly thought it wasn't an accident. I can't say one way or the other, just surprised. "Just cause you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get 'ya" "

I was inclined to think that way as well. You never know for sure.

Back when I lived in Nevada, left in 1979, my neighbor across the street came over and asked me to check out the rifle he was carrying. He said it was his brother's rifle and it had accidentally gone off punching a 130 gr. bullet though both his wife's legs at the knees. I had that rifle for several weeks and I tried everything I could that make that rifle go bang. FWIW, I used primed rifle brass in that .270. About the only way I could make it go off while thumbing off the safety was if I left my finger on the trigger while thumbing off the safety. There are times when i wonder if some of those Remington ADs occurred for just that very reason?
PJ

MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My younger brother had a similar incident. Had the 700 on the bench seat of the truck going to unload it to put in its case. It discharged hitting his friend in the side. Luckily it went thru several feet of the bench seat before wounding him superficially. The friend wanted to stop for a burger before going to the ER. A little probing of the wounds, betidine, and a bandage and back to the woods for afternoon hunt. They were lucky.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guided deer and elk hunters on a private ranch for 9 years. Had about 20 clients a year. Gun safety was preached constantly. No matter what was said there were those that knew everything, they thought. Since it was ranch hunting there were many 1-hour excursions then back into the truck to find a new draw to hunt. Rules were the following, no chamber loading till in the stand. On leaving the stand, the loaded round was removed from the chamber. Upon entering the truck, the bolt handle was lifted. No exceptions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Browning A-Bolt that I have owned since 1992 that you have to click the safety off in order to unload the round in the chamber. It has never fired while doing so, but it gives me the eebie-jeebies every time I do it. I hate that system of operation, but the rifle is a tack-driver so I keep it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got my first 700 around 1976 and have added many since then, bought both my sons 700s and they learned to shoot and hunt with them....Never a problem until a few years back we were out in the field and one son chambered a round and when clicked off the safety it went off, rifle was pointed into the air. We tried to make it happen again several dozen times without a round in the chamber but it never fired like that again. Soon as that hunt was over I bought a crap load of timney triggers and every 700 got a new one.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
How do you hunt with a rifle that fires immediately when the safety is flipped off? Supposedly never done it before, now it does it everytime during testing by police? Somethings off about this sad situation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a simple assed Youtube trigger job to me..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
And the Remington M700 bashing is in full swing…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by scottf270
How do you hunt with a rifle that fires immediately when the safety is flipped off? Supposedly never done it before, now it does it everytime during testing by police? Somethings off about this sad situation.

The beauty of the Walker trigger is it’s eminently adjustable.

The downfall of the Walker trigger is it’s eminently adjustable by idjits……..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I couldn’t give two [bleep] what happened other than the fact he pointed a loaded gun at his wife … stupid is as stupid does … may have been complete accident but a fatal one that he’s gotta live with rest of his life and it was very much preventable

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
And the Remington M700 bashing is in full swing…..

The problem seems to be consistently theirs. No?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gun accidents aren’t unique to a certain manufacturer. I can’t believe that needs saying.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
This particular problem sure is.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,660
Posts18,512,866
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.