Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Back to the addicts site, anyone have any updates? I've never seen this happen where a site just kind of freezes in time, rather than completely going down. I have a deal in the works through the classifieds over there. Very frustrating not being able to communicate with the seller.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Certifiable
All good….might not come as a surprise to you but I shoot more .22 pistols than anything else…by far

Ffl had a staccato in while back so I was fingering one for the first time. My kid was begging me to buy it (I guess it’s a John wick thing) but as nice as it seemed there was no way I was paying that kind of money!

Get the real deal here from JW3

Staccato JW3 set

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To the OP. Just incase you needed a fix.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
No updates but glad to see I’m not the only one with issues. I thought my wife had somehow blocked me from that site. They had a steady flow of awesome pistols on their classifieds then it just dried up.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Back up and running for the moment. Forum server issues.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A lot of my buddies like them. They always say I need to get one, but I've been pretty happy without. Here's one I contemplated a couple weeks ago:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Didn't look like a bad deal.

The one to the left of the stainless Ruger is one of small run Nightguard model. It's black nitrided stainless with tritium Novaks. The one that I have has been a great gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do love a good 1911 and have several. I admit though that it's rare for me to actually CCW one these days.

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I do love a good 1911 and have several. I admit though that it's rare for me to actually CCW one these days.
There were a couple of long periods (lasting a few years) in my life when I daily carried 1911s IWB, usually full sized, all steel versions, but occasionally lightweight Commander sized versions, too, and sometimes even more compact. I always came back to the full sized (or at least Commander sized), all steel, though, because I found that lightweight 1911s too often hit me in the face with spent cases. Never had the problem with all steel 1911s, whether Commander or Government sized. Don't own any lightweights, now.

In total, I must have owned a dozen 1911 handguns, and still own five or six. The only 1911s that I ever had a problem with were three. Two were Kimbers, and one was a Springfield Armory Loaded Model. The two Kimbers, I just sold off. The Springfield was sent back to the factory, and they made it shoot 100% reliable.

Oh, wait, there was also the Ed Brown Kobra Carry, which was unreliable from day one upon receiving it new direct from Ed. I sent it back to Ed, and he fired a few rounds through it, and sent it back to me with no explanation. I called, and he said the only issue with the gun is that I was limpwristing it. Odd, since I had at that time several far less expensive 1911s that never failed to fire.

I kept shooting it (all the while having major reliability issues) till, within just a few hundred more rounds, the extractor hook snapped off. Having lost confidence in Ed, I looked up how to tune a new extractor, bought one from a reputable company, tuned it, installed it, and the gun became 100% reliable, remaining such ever since. That was the late 1990s. It hasn't failed to fire even once since then.

I guess my first attempt at tuning an extractor was a good one. Far better, in fact, than whoever at the Ed Brown shop tuned its original extractor.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Gartenmeister
Originally Posted by Gartenmeister
They’ve been up and down today. Last time I checked they were online and working ok.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For $300.00 the Ruger p345 is making me look better than I really am shooting wise. Yes the bluing is that ugly roach brown and the double action is long but dadblame chunky Thang shoots great. The Prvi Partizan 185 jhp reminds me of the old Speer 200 jhp flying ashtray those of us of advanced age remember and the ruger feeds and groups it quite well.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I put a Wilson Combat bulletproof extractor in my TRP. I followed some instructions I found online and made a dummy case to get the tension just so……… It was probably a little too anal retentive but it worked perfectly since. Fitting the rear of the extractor to match the slide caused me a lot of stress but it turned out well. Only complaint I have is not being able to match the frosted/matted finish.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
… there was also the Ed Brown Kobra Carry, which was unreliable from day one upon receiving it new direct from Ed. I sent it back to Ed, and he fired a few rounds through it, and sent it back to me with no explanation. I called, and he said the only issue with the gun is that I was limpwristing it. Odd, since I had at that time several far less expensive 1911s that never failed to fire.
I kept shooting it (all the while having major reliability issues) till, within just a few hundred more rounds, the extractor hook snapped off. Having lost confidence in Ed, I looked up how to tune a new extractor, bought one from a reputable company, tuned it, installed it, and the gun became 100% reliable, remaining such ever since. That was the late 1990s. It hasn't failed to fire even once since then.
I guess my first attempt at tuning an extractor was a good one. Far better, in fact, than whoever at the Ed Brown shop tuned its original extractor.
Whether or not Ed Brown’s pistols are worth the premium he charges for them, he certainly does make (or has others make for him) some mighty darn good 1911 parts. This CCO sized .45ACP Frankenpistol contains an Ed Brown 4-1/4” stainless drop-in barrel, stainless hammer, sear and slide stop:

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
I put a Wilson Combat bulletproof extractor in my TRP. I followed some instructions I found online and made a dummy case to get the tension just so……… It was probably a little too anal retentive but it worked perfectly since. Fitting the rear of the extractor to match the slide caused me a lot of stress but it turned out well. Only complaint I have is not being able to match the frosted/matted finish.
You might wanna just remove that Wilson extractor and try lightly tapping its back end repeatedly against a sheet of course sandpaper laying flat on a hard tabletop, then cold blue it. It may be necessary to temporarily attach something heavy to the extractor to give it a bit more weight during the process.

OR, if you have a bench vice, you could pad and clamp the extractor in it, with the extractor’s back end facing up, place the sandpaper over it and tap the sandpaper very gently with a small hammer, all while minding the face angle of the extractor’s back end and checking your work often.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, Ex, the gun is great (one of my favorites still), but he may have had an apprentice tune my extractor on the particular day my gun was assembled at his shop, and he refused to address the issue in any serious way, assuming that the problem was the customer.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yeah, Ex, the gun is great (one of my favorites still), but he may have had an apprentice tune my extractor on the particular day my gun was assembled at his shop, and he refused to address the issue in any serious way, assuming that the problem was the customer.
Too many times, he would have been absolutely correct. Trouble is, not every time. And, that cost him a strike against his credibility, at least as far as you’re concerned, as well as with those who’ve read what you wrote.

One’s credibility is an extraordinarily valuable yet very fragile personal attribute. It must be scrupulously maintained and protected because, once lost, it can lead to complete destruction. I’ve witnessed cops discharged from employment after being caught making just one falsified statement in court, because they were thereafter rendered incapable of successfully performing an essential job requirement. Any potential future courtroom testimony would be subject to impeachment based on that one prior documented lie which, by law, must be disclosed to the defense beforehand. Too bad, so sad; maybe some work in private security could still be an option.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I had that customer service with Kimber and have since avoided all things Kimber even when I found the product very attractive.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bought this Kimber 45 new in 1997. Carried it as my duty gun for 17 years; patrol, detectives, SWAT, firearms instructor. All the good stuff. Carried it a lot on hunting & fishing trips as well. About a gazillion rounds through it now. I have a new Bar-Sto barrel & bushing for it, but so far the original barrel is hanging in there longer than I anticipated. It's been pretty close to trouble free. Had to re-stake the plunger tube once. I converted it to the short recoil spring guide rod in place of the long guide rod that came with the pistol. Grips have been replaced a couple of times as I wore them smooth. Replaced the sights a couple of times when the tritium grew dim. It's been a good gun:

Regards, Guy

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cascade
Bought this Kimber 45 new in 1997. Carried it as my duty gun for 17 years; patrol, detectives, SWAT, firearms instructor. All the good stuff. Carried it a lot on hunting & fishing trips as well. About a gazillion rounds through it now. I have a new Bar-Sto barrel & bushing for it, but so far the original barrel is hanging in there longer than I anticipated. It's been pretty close to trouble free. Had to re-stake the plunger tube once. I converted it to the short recoil spring guide rod in place of the long guide rod that came with the pistol. Grips have been replaced a couple of times as I wore them smooth. Replaced the sights a couple of times when the tritium grew dim. It's been a good gun:

Regards, Guy
Sounds like it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 450yukon, 2ndwind, 29 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,626
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.