-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A few questions for those of you who own or have shot number of different CZ rimfires -

How do CZ Match barrels compare to regular CZ heavy weight barrels like that found on a Varmint model for instance? Tighter groups? Same, same?

How about the chambering of rounds of premium vs. regular priced ammunition? Any issues?

Thx in advance for any legitimate insights you may offer.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All good!

Found others asking similar questions on the "Rimfire" site about non-match vs MTR or other CZ rifles/barrels with match chambers. Appears I did alright buying a like new CZ Varmint with a beautiful walnut stock and dropping the action into a LRP stock. Folks there say a MATCH chamber "might, might" be more accurate.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/cz-457-varmint-vs-cz-457-varmint-mtr-20”-barrel.1262521

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]

Cheers!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
I do know buddies 457 MTR w/match chamber starts the bullet into the lands when closing the bolt. His Varmint 457 has standard CIP chamber and does not allow bullet to engage the lands. This is with SK Standard 40gr ammo.

The MTR does shoot a bit better.

GOA
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
What I can say is that my 452 Varmint has a fairly tight chamber and the bore is tight enough that I have to use a 17 cal rod and jag to clean it. Now I have to see if CCI standard are kissing the lands.

Last edited by OldRooster; 01/16/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by olgrouser
All good!

Found others asking similar questions on the "Rimfire" site about non-match vs MTR or other CZ rifles/barrels with match chambers. Appears I did alright buying a like new CZ Varmint with a beautiful walnut stock and dropping the action into a LRP stock. Folks there say a MATCH chamber "might, might" be more accurate.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/cz-457-varmint-vs-cz-457-varmint-mtr-20”-barrel.1262521

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]

Cheers!

Looks like a sweet rifle. Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
From what I saw on mine vs other guys I shot with, my MTR with the match chamber shot a hair better across the board than their standard varmint models. You have to understand that my statement is a broad brush statement as we all know that to get the best out of your 22 you have to feed it what it likes. My MRT did very well with a few different types of ammo and sucked with other types. The same was true with their varmint CZ's. I am sure if they found the ammo that their gun loved, it would be a very close race.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot against an MTR and a few standard chamber cz Varmint and cz Pro Varmint rifles. Accuracy between them is a wash with ammo they like. I’ve thought about trying an MTR but the guys I see that have great shooting MTR’s have after market barrels. I’d say you’ll be quite pleased with the Varmint.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I tried a aftermarket barrel on my MTR but it really did not shoot any better than my factory one. I shot against a guy that has an aftermarket barrel on his Pro Varmint and he can be hard to beat when he has good ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I suspect that both will do about the same with the ammo that fits the respective chambers the best. I got bored and a little frustrated shooting mid-level stuff through my MTR so when I had the chance to convert it to a Premium at no cost, I jumped at it. Like the new configuration better. When the weather breaks I want to play with it using my new Garmin and see if the clock readings match the flyers. Might invest in one of those tuner thingys too since I now have two threaded rifles.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
What scopes are you guys using on your rifles? I just have a 3x9 Nikon on my Varmint. It’s fine to 50 yards but….

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Athlon Optics Heras 4-20x50 MOA #214505 on my target .22s

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
For our local 50yd USBR shoots I have an Arken EPL4 6-24 but I may move to a 36x. The 2mm 10 ring is quite small.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A 22 LR CZ MTR stocked in a piece killer walnut, in excellent condition with the match chamber of course, 2 steel 5 shot magazines and a brick of SK Standard Plus came up for sale just down the road so now I'm going to answer the question for myself. wink

Are there any American manufactured scope being used or are off shore optics dominating the 50yd USBR scene?

And what about at 100 yd and past?

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by olgrouser
A 22 LR CZ MTR stocked in a piece killer walnut, in excellent condition with the match chamber of course, 2 steel 5 shot magazines and a brick of SK Standard Plus came up for sale just down the road so now I'm going to answer the question for myself. wink

Are there any American manufactured scope being used or are off shore optics dominating the 50yd USBR scene?

And what about at 100 yd and past?

A guy we shoot with goes to some big time matches and said he sees a mix of stuff. Sightron, Leupold, March, Vortex are ones he mentions seeing te most all in the 50-60x range all for 50yd matches.

At our local matches it’s Vortex, Athlon, Arken.

Congrats on the mtr

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For our 22lr ABRA matches, I use a Nightforce 12-42 and a Leupold fixed 36 (on two different rifles of course)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

727 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,827 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,277
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.