Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by OldRooster
100 and 117 gr

For 100 grain bullets you can look to 6mm Rem data for matching powders. It's the same case with a smaller neck, so the bigger necked case will digest the same loads at lower pressure. You can work up with a chronograph to 6mm Rem speeds and you'll be in safe territory.
Should outdo the 6mm by a little bit with like weight bullets.

That's what he said.

Thanks for the useful post.

No problem sir. How many deer have you killed in the past 5 years?

I killed way more and bigger blacktail than you when I was in Kodiak.

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Again, even though there are mountains of Roberts data, one can still look to the 6.5 Creedmoor data for newer powders.

I'll not explain how a 250Ai and 257 Roberts are the same, nor how a 6.5 CM is just about the same as a 250Ai with a slightly less steep shoulder. Nor will I mention H2o capacities. I'll leave all that up to 'experts' in tights.

You've left out something that can work to the detriment of someone looking to 6.5 Creedmoor data.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
100 and 117 gr

For 100 grain bullets you can look to 6mm Rem data for matching powders. It's the same case with a smaller neck, so the bigger necked case will digest the same loads at lower pressure. You can work up with a chronograph to 6mm Rem speeds and you'll be in safe territory.
Should outdo the 6mm by a little bit with like weight bullets.

That's what he said.

Thanks for the useful post.

No problem sir. How many deer have you killed in the past 5 years?

I killed way more and bigger blacktail than you when I was in Kodiak.

Ok? You're the last person ANYONE should go to for hunting/shooting/reloading advice. Prove me wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok? You're the last person ANYONE should go to for hunting/shooting/reloading advice. Prove me wrong.

Show me your biggest blacktail.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Let us pray,

Oh Lord, please do not let LBP see this demand.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
100 and 117 gr
I have had great luck with H4350 and 100 grain Hornady Interlock in my .257 Rbts

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Let us pray,

lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The blacktail has never been a creature I have chosen or desired to hunt or harvest.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW

The blacktail has never been a creature I have chosen or desired to hunt or harvest.

Kodiak blacktail venison is the best game meat I have ever had in my live. If you are willing to put in the work to get to where they are, they aren't particularly challenging. They are nowhere near as wary or skittish as whitetail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW

Kodiak blacktail venison is the best game meat I have ever had in my live. If you are willing to put in the work to get to where they are, they aren't particularly challenging. They are nowhere near as wary or skittish as whitetail.

The Savannah blacktail is a different animal completely. I see hundreds daily. wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I run 414 out of my Roberts with 100 grain SGK. Good accuracy, but only loaded to around 2950 fps which is a little fast for that bullet IMO. Effective on deer, but more meat damage than I care for. Have had a couple of pigs get away from me with that load, but probably more due to shot placement than bullet performance I would imagine.

Either way, that’s a Hodgdon load and I see no reason to look for any more velocity for my purposes. I did shoot a mature 8 point this fall at 330 yards and that bullet was more than enough at that distance.

One thing I do find peculiar is that Hodgdon only lists a 1 grain difference when using 414 in the Roberts with a 100 grain bullet. While working up loads, I did note that my velocities were in par with their data, and I did start to see signs of pressure as I neared the book max. I am shooting a Kimber though, so I don’t have the added case capacity as stated by the OP.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I run 414 out of my Roberts with 100 grain SGK. Good accuracy, but only loaded to around 2950 fps which is a little fast for that bullet IMO. Effective on deer, but more meat damage than I care for. Have had a couple of pigs get away from me with that load, but probably more due to shot placement than bullet performance I would imagine.

Either way, that’s a Hodgdon load and I see no reason to look for any more velocity for my purposes. I did shoot a mature 8 point this fall at 330 yards and that bullet was more than enough at that distance.

One thing I do find peculiar is that Hodgdon only lists a 1 grain difference when using 414 in the Roberts with a 100 grain bullet. While working up loads, I did note that my velocities were in par with their data, and I did start to see signs of pressure as I neared the book max. I am shooting a Kimber though, so I don’t have the added case capacity as stated by the OP.

My take: The standard Roberts data shows rather low pressures. By the time you use enough of an old school ball powder like H414 to make a starting load with decent ignition characteristics there's not much room left under the pressure ceiling.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have been shooting a model 70 257 Roberts with 24 Inch barrel. I started out with IMR 4350 and 117gr Nosler Partitons, the load came with the used rifle. I checked the load and it was about 2825FPS, in my winchester model 70. So I moved on to RL22,and Norma MRP. Changed to 115gr Nosler Partitions at 2.840 OAL. Mostly winchester cases. I got about 3129FPS. MRP gave the best accuracy. Tryed RL23 because it was temperature stable 110gr Accubonds CCI 250 primers, Win cases and 2.840 OAL. got 3120 SD. of 7.8. RL26 gave 3130 FPS using the 115gr Nosler Partitions. 8.9SD. Actually I can get a little more using the RL26,s. My model 70 was made in 1951.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Let us pray,

This is the perfect size blacktail!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's how I run my 22" bbl'd 257 SA Rob:

100 NBT / 2.820" OAL / RP Brass / Fed 210M / 44.5 gr H4350 / 3,060 fps

Not the fastest, but the most accurate in my rifle. Last group loaded above was .320"

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (achlupsa, 35, alwaysoutdoors, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 8 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.