B
Makes sense to me.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I don’t think it much matters. Put a decent bullet at a decent speed into the vitals and stuff dies.
The emphasis should be on ensuring the bullet is placed into the vitals, which means plenty of practice. More folks would be better off spending less time practicing long range and more time getting into position quickly and making shots at normal hunting ranges from a variety of field positions, as well as recognizing field expedient rests and quickly being able to utilize them. Have seen far more blown shot opportunities from people dicking around not getting into a solid position quickly than I have because of shots missed because of the distance.
This is one of the benefits of practical-style rifle matches; they give participants practice both in SR and LR shooting and in quickly devising and building solid shooting positions in field-type conditions.

I will point out that high BC is very useful in accomplishing the two criteria that you mentioned, a bullet arriving at the intended POI at a decent speed. BC value isn't black and white, sufficient or insufficient. It's a continuous scale of helping the shooter place the bullet correctly and ensure it expands correctly when it arrives on target.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
75 Amaxs and 155 Scenars over Varget are my primary loads.
The simplicity is a big part of the appeal. It’s nice to just grab a box of ammo and a rifle and go hunting!

How do those 155 Scenars act on elk at 308 vels both up close and out a ways?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bwinters
75 Amaxs and 155 Scenars over Varget are my primary loads.
The simplicity is a big part of the appeal. It’s nice to just grab a box of ammo and a rifle and go hunting!

How do those 155 Scenars act on elk at 308 vels both up close and out a ways?
As I recall the elk I've shot with Scenars were all medium range - like 200-300 yards or somewhere in there. The 155 Scenars like to exit! Frankly I've shot more elk with a 223, and it works fine too cry

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don’t think it much matters. Put a decent bullet at a decent speed into the vitals and stuff dies.
The emphasis should be on ensuring the bullet is placed into the vitals, which means plenty of practice. More folks would be better off spending less time practicing long range and more time getting into position quickly and making shots at normal hunting ranges from a variety of field positions, as well as recognizing field expedient rests and quickly being able to utilize them. Have seen far more blown shot opportunities from people dicking around not getting into a solid position quickly than I have because of shots missed because of the distance.
The practice issue brings me to the cartridge/bullet subject that is the most valuable in my mind: logistics.
Being able to source a large supply of components that will ensure proper practice and a stash for hunting is a big deal. Having to rely on a boutique bullet maker (or even a company like Nosler, who seems to have a hard time coming up with component bullets) makes that sourcing expensive and difficult.
I’ve gone to using 223s and 308s for most of my hunting because of that emphasis on streamlining of logistics. Make up a whole bunch of ammo in a variant that shoots fine in several rifles, and mass produce it. I also like to match speeds and BCs to where my 223s and 308s have basically the same trajectories and drift (within reason). Makes for easy transition between rifles. I certainly still dabble in experimenting with other rounds, but when it’s time to hit the hills I’ll grab a 223 or 308 the majority of the time.
PG, thanks for your insights.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The practice issue brings me to the cartridge/bullet subject that is the most valuable in my mind: logistics.
Being able to source a large supply of components that will ensure proper practice and a stash for hunting is a big deal. Having to rely on a boutique bullet maker (or even a company like Nosler, who seems to have a hard time coming up with component bullets) makes that sourcing expensive and difficult.
I’ve gone to using 223s and 308s for most of my hunting because of that emphasis on streamlining of logistics. Make up a whole bunch of ammo in a variant that shoots fine in several rifles, and mass produce it. I also like to match speeds and BCs to where my 223s and 308s have basically the same trajectories and drift (within reason). Makes for easy transition between rifles. I certainly still dabble in experimenting with other rounds, but when it’s time to hit the hills I’ll grab a 223 or 308 the majority of the time.

I’m so old I remember when Nosler was not a boutique bullet maker.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
This is one of the benefits of practical-style rifle matches; they give participants practice both in SR and LR shooting and in quickly devising and building solid shooting positions in field-type conditions.

I will point out that high BC is very useful in accomplishing the two criteria that you mentioned, a bullet arriving at the intended POI at a decent speed. BC value isn't black and white, sufficient or insufficient. It's a continuous scale of helping the shooter place the bullet correctly and ensure it expands correctly when it arrives on target.

Practical-style rifle matches are an option, but at the same time they aren't very practical for a lot of shooters, whether because of a lack of desire to compete against others, or the time and expense involved with attending a shoot (for a lot of folks, taking a weekend off from their duties and driving several hundred miles isn't an option).
Something like Carl Ross' Positional Drill is something I use and recommend.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ositional-drill-postal-match#Post9213006
Doesn't take much in the way of specialized equipment, and only takes a 100 yard range that allows the rifleman to shoot in positions other than the bench, which opens the training availability up to a lot of folks who don't have access to a long range facility. Also doesn't take a lot of ammo, only 20 rounds per session, so not terribly expensive to get into for the average hunter. A hunter may certainly modify the drill as they see fit to suit their physical abilities or equipment, like for instance I don't use shooting sticks, so generally do the drill as offhand, kneeling, sitting, and prone.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Practical-style rifle matches are an option, but at the same time they aren't very practical for a lot of shooters, whether because of a lack of desire to compete against others, or the time and expense involved with attending a shoot (for a lot of folks, taking a weekend off from their duties and driving several hundred miles isn't an option).
Something like Carl Ross' Positional Drill is something I use and recommend.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ositional-drill-postal-match#Post9213006
Doesn't take much in the way of specialized equipment, and only takes a 100 yard range that allows the rifleman to shoot in positions other than the bench, which opens the training availability up to a lot of folks who don't have access to a long range facility. Also doesn't take a lot of ammo, only 20 rounds per session, so not terribly expensive to get into for the average hunter. A hunter may certainly modify the drill as they see fit to suit their physical abilities or equipment, like for instance I don't use shooting sticks, so generally do the drill as offhand, kneeling, sitting, and prone.
I agree that any training is better than none, but having spent a lot of time shooting various drills, including shooting Carl’s a number of times, it is certainly not a replacement for a PRS- or NRL-style match. I realize that shooting such matches, even at a local or club level, isn’t feasible for everyone, but I strongly encourage anyone who wants to improve their field shooting and is able to participate, to do so. NRL-Hunter matches seem especially relevant. Even if a person has no desire to compete against others, the variety and novelty of stages presents new and interesting challenges that test and improve a shooter’s ability to adapt and improvise in the moment, and the pressure of shooting on the clock and in front of spectators creates resilience and the ability to perform when in high-pressure situations.

Of course, Carl’s drill tries to replicate some of these elements as much as possible, but it’s just not the same level of training. As an example of its relevance, I have had my son participate with me in small, local matches as he was becoming old enough (12 years old) and preparing to hunt BG here in AB. As a result, he was well-prepared for field shooting when he finally had his own tags to fill. His first deer was a WT doe at 70 meters that he killed from sitting while holding the rifle against an improvised rest (tree trunk). Chip shot. The next day, he felt confident and prepared enough to kill a yearling MD at about 375 meters from a low standing position (locked knees, bent at the hips) while resting the rifle against a large hay bale. The shot was placed perfectly. That is a shot he has practiced many times, thanks to his training and participation in matches that have simulated that shooting position and those types of distances.

I’ll reiterate again, however, that I strongly agree with you that any type of drill and training is good, and if shooting in a match or two is not feasible, drills like Carl’s are fantastic training to improve one’s field shooting skills.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Gopher hunting on foot as a kid with a 22 in hand does as good a job as anything. Had lots of 500 plus kill days

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Gopher hunting on foot as a kid with a 22 in hand does as good a job as anything. Had lots of 500 plus kill days
Gopher fields are great. Heading to the field every day after school while growing up was fantastic for honing field shooting skills.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It sure is. And about the most fun a kid, or grown man, can have.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,818
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.