Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Oldagpilot
Found a nice Remington 700 in St Charles AR small town 180 people saw a guy putting a sign up at the only store in town he was really glad to get it back. I was driving my buddy said stop back up the guy had just left it on his tailgate.

Thats why I would hesitate to return to LEO. I had a good friend (deceased) who was a hackensack cop for ages. Had an attic chest full of handguns and a closet full of long guns. He wasnt even a gun guy too much. He'd say you have no idea how mnay people call to turn in guns or find guns at the park, garage, road, etc.

Needless to say they dont always look for the owner too much, and dont always "destroy" them.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In nearly 45 years, working and driving over 1.5 million miles on the roads of southwest Montana, I found more bungees and tools than you could hold in a tool box.

I saw, what looked like a dollar bill blow across the road, so I stopped to pick it up, hoping it was at least a 20. It was actually a $100.00 bill. I looked around and found 2 more.

In White Sulphur Springs, Montana, I found a wallet on a newspaper box at a gas station, that had $1200.00 and all the ID and hunting license of some guy from Minnesota. I told the station manager that I would leave it at the Sheriffs office.

The biggest was a in Cody, Wyoming, where I found a check for $55,000.00. I took it inside of the gas station and asked if anyone had lost a check. Finally I found a guy that claimed he had lost it. I told him I wanted to see some kind of identification and he showed me his DL and I let him have the check. (This was after I tried to cash it at the bank and they wouldn’t give me the money)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last post reminded me...

1960s.
Mom walked out of the Ben Franklin and found a wallet by the curb.
She picked it up and took it to the bank across the street, she didn't even open it.
The tellers opened it, found the owners info and called her. She was back in minutes, thanking Mom over and over and gave her $20. The wallet had contained hundreds.
Of 1960s dollars.

She told my Paternal Grandfather the story,
he was proud as heck.
"Mary, there wasn't enough money in that wallet to ruin your good name!"

Sunday Dinner with her extended family, she retold her story and was
immediately berated by her Mom's side. Called stupid, a fool, "Must already
have more money than you need..."

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Guess Im too busy texting to see stuff on the road

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Guess Im too busy texting to see stuff on the road

I don’t care who you are, that’s funny…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
🤣😂

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I found a briefcase in the ditch once. Picked it up and opened it, it had $250 in cash, some checks and credit cards. I tried to find the owner to no avail, then took it to the police station and turned it in. They said they'd call me when they contacted the owner. I'm still waiting, that was like 15 years ago. I suppose the cops had a great Christmas party that year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A couple of months ago in WalMart my 12yo granddaughter found $2 in cash laying in the aisle, much to her chagrin I told her to leave it there because it wasn’t hers and some other kid might come back looking for it.

It was only $2 but that kid is already getting to be a reg’lar Scrooge.

I told her she had a choice; that $2 or a Christmas gift from me grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
We were doing a highway cleanup on the portion of road that runs by our development last spring. Found a nearly new 12 gauge Browning Gold shotgun. I figured it may have been stolen or possibly used in a crime so I went to the local PD and had them run the serial number. Nothing came back on it, but they confiscated it for destruction.
Say what? Why didn’t it end up in your safe?

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I found two unopened cans of Old Milwaukee on a Boy Scout cleanup drive.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was in a Strip Joint sitting at the bar, looked down and saw a folded $50 bill.

Yes I had a good time!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Two penny's in Boston.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Someone in Vermont scored a free $700 in 1979 dollars in cash, in a bag with a pretty good set of tools. My 60 or 70-something 4wd Dodge pickup had a locking tool compartment on one side at the bottom, the lock failed.

Anyone on Camp Bullis in the range fan (Training Area 9?) needs to keep an eye out for a pretty good pair of Romanian optics I set down somewhere maybe 30 years ago.

Stuff found on Military bases doesn’t count as roadside finds but on Bullis things like old compasses, flashlights, ponchos and linked pieces of .30-06 blank machine gun ammo were not unusual. A friend tripped a training Claymore wire left out there and got a surprise.

On Fort Hood another bird survey guy got serious facial burns from a similar device left out, fortunately he was wearing glasses. Strangest thing I found was a live 20mm cannon shell in the woods on Fort Hood, too far back in the woods to have fallen off a vehicle. I figure some guy coming back from training found he had one more shell than their records indicated he should.

Either that or someone wanted to give the guy responsible for inventory fits.

When I was 14 thru 16 y/o, my dad was stationed at Pope AFB, in the middle of Ft Bragg. 1966 to 1968. Between being in Boy Scouts and then also going out hunting on base for 4 months worth of weekends, we use to find all sorts of stuff dumped out in the woods. It was during Vietnam, and there were a zillion draftees in basic training and AIT on base at any one time. Instead of humping all this ammo, sleeping bags, back packs, even a few M16s, it would just get tossed into the brush and the trainee would claim he lost it, or someone swiped it.

We would bring it to my dad, or give it to him when we were out hunting, and he would turn it in to base supply on Ft Bragg.
That was no big deal in those days, during Vietnam time. Every day occurrence. I'm sure my dad got a big thank you, especially turning in some M 16s, but he never said that to we boys.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
If you found $125 Grand in cash on the shoulder of the road, and nobody saw you pick it up, would you return it?
if i could identify it as someone's life savings or some straight up honest citizens mistake, YES!... a Brinks truck?, HALE NO!... they's insured, drop in the bucket for them... SSS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I find stuff on the side of the highway all the time. Wife gives me grief about turnarounds and dodging traffic to collect my finds. She gladly claimed the new RayBans in the case I found on our road. Some finds include: 2 wallets with ID and cash, 48” Rigid pipe wrench which I gave to my BIL to use on his tilt bed truck hauling farm equipment, Stearns life vests, whole tool box of Craftsman sockets, ratchets, pliers, etc, 2 MagLights, Q Beam, duck decoys, rubber bungee cords,Gott 5 gal water cooler with wallet inside, numerous gas cans, pliers- several types, Snap On bit driver, boat cushions, 30’ foot ladder while on a bus route; AT&T service truck was glad to see me. I had already loaded it on the bus. New box of hinged styrofoam plates, hundreds inside, large Boker folding knife, Buck 3 blade stockman, ladder deer stand, sunglasses, one pair Oakleys. That’s all I remember offhand. I steady scan for deer and treasure.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
If you found $125 Grand in cash on the shoulder of the road, and nobody saw you pick it up, would you return it?
if i could identify it as someone's life savings or some straight up honest citizens mistake, YES!... a Brinks truck?, HALE NO!... they's insured, drop in the bucket for them... SSS

7mm Loco I am with you. If I found the cash, and there was a wallet with the ID of a private citizen I would return the money, no question.

If it was Brinks, there would be an angel on my right shoulder and a devil on my left shoulder, in one helluva arguing match. I'm afraid the Devil would win, Brinks is a multi billion $ operation, this would be a drop in the bucket for them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
I found a briefcase in the ditch once. Picked it up and opened it, it had $250 in cash, some checks and credit cards. I tried to find the owner to no avail, then took it to the police station and turned it in. They said they'd call me when they contacted the owner. I'm still waiting, that was like 15 years ago. I suppose the cops had a great Christmas party that year.

You cynical devil.

Several years ago I had a big ginseng crop on my land, which I had planted from seeds. Two hillbillies came up one September day and stole over a pound of my ginseng, dug it right up. About $1,200 worth. I had spotted their beat up old pickup on the road, and I called 911, and I went down there and accosted the 2 bumpkins as they came out of the woods with my ginseng. A minute later the deputy and Game Warden rolled up, and they arrested the two guys. I was instrumental in causing the arrest.

An hour later I went down to the jail, and the Sheriff was there and there was the big pile of my ginseng on his desk. And I said "Sheriff, yall did a fine job. I appreciate your hard work. Now I'd like my ginseng back."

He starts in with this "Sir, this is evidence in a criminal proceeding. It must be held until the case is settled, which will be several months. At that point, the Judge will decide what becomes of criminal evidence. Sometimes such evidence is destroyed in the county incinerator."

Yeah, right. Did he think I was stupid enough to believe that cops are going to burn $1,200 worth of ginseng? They are going to sell it to a ginseng broker, who probably is the Sheriff's brother. First, hillbillies stole my ginseng, and then the Sheriff stole my ginseng. I was already at war with Appalachian hillbillies, I did not want to go to war with the Sheriff. Sheriff got more power, and more guns than I do. I said "Thank you sir" and I walked out.

Let's see, late September plus two months, I bet the Sheriff's office had a great Christmas party that year.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
when we was 12's, me and 2 buds picked up $300+ in cash blowing across the fox river bridge in SE Wi... sadly, most of the booty blew under the railing and floated away in the icy water... we practiced SSS... left my favorite pair of Gargoyle "Intimidator" sunglasses on the roof of my car when leaving early AM for a car show... why i hate getting up early...

Oh, you only found $300 ? [bleep], There was at least $5,000 in there. I tossed that along with all that cocaine when the cops were after me one night. Glad ya got it instead of the cops.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

You cynical devil.

Several years ago I had a big ginseng crop on my land, which I had planted from seeds. Two hillbillies came up one September day and stole over a pound of my ginseng, dug it right up. About $1,200 worth. I had spotted their beat up old pickup on the road, and I called 911, and I went down there and accosted the 2 bumpkins as they came out of the woods with my ginseng. A minute later the deputy and Game Warden rolled up, and they arrested the two guys. I was instrumental in causing the arrest.

An hour later I went down to the jail, and the Sheriff was there and there was the big pile of my ginseng on his desk. And I said "Sheriff, yall did a fine job. I appreciate your hard work. Now I'd like my ginseng back."

He starts in with this "Sir, this is evidence in a criminal proceeding. It must be held until the case is settled, which will be several months. At that point, the Judge will decide what becomes of criminal evidence. Sometimes such evidence is destroyed in the county incinerator."

Yeah, right. Did he think I was stupid enough to believe that cops are going to burn $1,200 worth of ginseng? They are going to sell it to a ginseng broker, who probably is the Sheriff's brother. First, hillbillies stole my ginseng, and then the Sheriff stole my ginseng. I was already at war with Appalachian hillbillies, I did not want to go to war with the Sheriff. Sheriff got more power, and more guns than I do. I said "Thank you sir" and I walked out.

Let's see, late September plus two months, I bet the Sheriff's office had a great Christmas party that year.

When I was about 12 or 13 years old the neighbor kid told me that his dad had planted a bunch of ginseng on the wooded hillside behind our house. This is down in western Kentucky and nobody down there has any idea what ginseng is. Everybody down there that I know has either died off or moved away.

I wouldn't be surprised if ginseng was growing all over that old hillside down there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Found a new Yeti 65 cooler upside down in the middle of the highway driving home a few years ago.

Opened it up and it was full of iced down beer.. smile

The fall out of the vehicle put a few scratches on the corner of the lid, but not real noticeable. Still have that chest.
same here. And then the post on facebook about lost a cooler. They got it back.

Heard someone found a ski doo middle of the road in Whittier today. Lol.. I"ve heard of 4 wheelers....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,800
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.