Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Please.let me know what knife(s) you use for field dressing elk. Pictures appreciated. I'm looking for one knife to carry and not interested in the replaceable blade category. Thanks all!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Same Gerber Gator I've been carrying for 12-13-14 years. Actually I have 2 of them, hard to tell which one I'm using.

Gerber Gator

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used a Carbon Steel Recon Tanto (7") on my first cow elk. I reamed her bung hole, opened her up, split the brisket up into neck for windpipe, dress her out, and get this...it would still shave hair off my arm! I have since gone to a San Mai Outdoorsman also by Cold Steel. I usually tale several other knives in my daypack honed razor sharp IF I need them. I also have a Tim Wegnor Clip It folder that is awesome, used on some African game. It may be worth it to you to look at the "Diamond Blade" knives. They claim they stay sharp for 5-6 deer before touch up. Good luck to you Pard!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have used an Ingram on roughly 3-400 animals primarily elk. Before that I used a bench made fixed blade with D2 with great success. Really depends on what you want. Utility or something that you’ll appreciate more. Anything will work. I’ve gutted and skinned a cow with a 2.5” folding buck knife.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Havalon. Just don't manhandle the blades and they won't break. Used then on deer, elk, and moose.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogpopper
I have used an Ingram on roughly 3-400 animals primarily elk. Before that I used a bench made fixed blade with D2 with great success. Really depends on what you want. Utility or something that you’ll appreciate more. Anything will work. I’ve gutted and skinned a cow with a 2.5” folding buck knife.

Holy Smokes Dogpopper, you must be one hellava Guide, that's incredible!

Hi BCHunter666, I swear by these knives, the Outdoor Edge SwingBlade and the Fish and Bone Folding Knife, and have cleaned many moose and deer in the field alone with these knives. Best knives I have ever had, not expensive either.

Push the lock button and the SwingBlade® changes from a drop-point skinner to the ultimate gutting blade to open the game like a zipper! When I hunt alone, I want the sharpest and most compact knife to get the job done quickly. I do my own butchering, so when I get my animals home I want the meat as clean as possible and without hair all over the meat, the drop-point eliminates that issue.

The Fish and Bone Folding Knife is awesome for doing detailed work when removing the backstraps, rib work, and deboning. But in all honesty, I can do it all the the SwingBlade.

When I do a deer, the SwingBlade does the job without having to sharpen it. When I do a moose I typically sharpen it 1/2 way through, I do not like working with blades that are not razor sharp to avoid any forcing and cutting myself. I sharpen it with an Accusharp and it only takes a few strokes to get the job done.

I wear them on my belt, they are nice and light, very compact and out of the way.

They both feel great in my hands as well! cool

SwingBlade

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Fish and Bone Folding Knife

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/20/24.

KB

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Two of the models I make going to work on some bulls I shot a year or two ago

CPM154 stainless and desert ironwood on both.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hank has come a long ways on his knives. Definitely a knife worth looking at

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Dogpopper
Hank has come a long ways on his knives. Definitely a knife worth looking at
Thanks so much friend. Hope you’re doing well!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handmade damascus…

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
A havalon.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
1980s Gerber bolt action exchange. I’ve been using it since new. It’s from when they were made in the USA. I’ve bought several off of the internet. Just recently picked one up for my new grandson. They can still be found. They have two blades and a handy saw. Easily get through boning out an elk

Shawn

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I used a Cold Steel Master Hunter with 3V steel on the bull I shot last fall. It worked very well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bucklite 422’s. I have 5 of ‘em. First three were given to me as tips. Decided to lighten the load and give them a try one year. Chose the one with an orange handle and the dropped the knife in 14” of fresh powder while dressing an elk. I immediately understood the value of a blaze orange handle. I like the light weight and that they fold.

I have two custom fixed blades, including a Ingram given to me as a tip. I appreciate the workmanship and beauty, but I keep using the Bucklites.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the exact same one - orange handle and all.
Just cut a 225 gr .358 TSX out of the offside of a 6x8 AZ bull in this pic.
Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Cool!
About 10 years ago I broke the tip wrangling the ivories out for a client. Man was I pizzed at myself. I sent the knife to Buck with a note detailing my sad tale. Gave my contact info and asked them to contact me with the cost. Didn’t hear from them and 3 weeks later the knife with a new blade arrived.

Buck made a fan out of me.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have couple fixed blade knives with D2 steel and they can get razor sharp. I carry that on my belt.
But I still carry an outdoor edge in the back pack for skinning and braking down an animal, using the Gutless method. After all the meat is off. I open the guts and get the heart, liver and tenderloin.
Outdoor edge blades are much easier to swap out than havalon.
I know you said no replacement blades. Much easier swapping out a blade than trying to sharpen on the spot when your hands are numb and bloody .
To each his own

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see so many knifes with less than stellar steel. Lot's of stainless that is corrosion resistant but I will give up corrosion resistant for an edge that stays sharp. A2 steel or better. HRC of 57 and better. It's the old "a rusty knife cuts the best" kind of thing.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,839
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.