Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ruger MkII 5 1/2" or 6 7/8" hvy bbl.

ONE hole to clean....not 6 to 11 holes to clean.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had timing issues with my new 4-inch 617 right out of the box. It was a 2017 gun. Sent it back, and three months later I called and asked where it was and it was another two months before I saw it. I still get the occasional spitting. I wasn't really happy with the accuracy until I put a Trijicon RMR on it. Now it's a inch/inch and half gun at 15 yards off bags. Single Action. So I guess that says more about my eyes than the gun. If the new Colt wasn't so damn expensive if and when you can find one, I'd probably go that route if I had to do it again. As much as I like the prelocks like any other red-blooded American, I like the ten-shot cylinder better. Especially using Speed Beez.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DANS40XC

Just trying to put mine back together gave me Alzheimer's, and I had the MK III Hunter. Outstanding trigger, and not a bad shooter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek

Just trying to put mine back together gave me Alzheimer's, and I had the MK III Hunter. Outstanding trigger, and not a bad shooter.
I've got a couple mark 2s and a mark 3. I still have to watch YouTube to put them back together

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I know you said you didn’t want a single six so maybe this is not your cup of tea. I just got this Super Wrangler, made some walnut stocks for it and took it shooting. I shot some 40 gr auto match through it first (the shoot and see target) then picked up some Aguila 38 gr hollow points. That’s six shots at 15 yards (the box). They sure don’t break the bank.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The original S&W 34's are really nice. I've also been impressed with a Dan Wesson that found it's way home with me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Biebs
Nice! I saw a Colt Trooper 4" that looked pretty cool as well.
Keep your eye on gunbroker for those.

Most Troopers for sale there are the Mk III models which are nice revolvers but IMO too big and heavy for a .22, plus their prices tend to go way up. But occasionally, right now in fact, they'll have some original Troopers from the 60's and before. Those are really well made and lately have been a very good deal. If you search for them ignore those two overpriced at $2,000, those have been there unloved for a few months now.

1954 Trooper .22

This one pictured went for $505 just before Christmas

[Linked Image from gbapics-bbhmapccg7fxbje0.z01.azurefd.net]
Nice.

Sometime you can find a pre-War Colt. I picked up this one for $400 a few years ago. Sometimes it's easier to deal with a vendor when the show is over and they're packing up their stuff. That's what happened in this case.

I like it better with Python grips, but do have the OEM's. The late'30's action is amazingly smooth and it's very accurate. I think it may edge my K-22.

Yeah, it's a full sized gun.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dirtfarmer, That pre-war Colt is the nuts. I like the Python grips better myself. But, the originals show the vintage unmistakably.

I would also suggest a S&W Model 17.

This one is a 17-3. K-22.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A Smith 17, 18 or K22 or Officers Model would get my vote.

Pre Officer Model MKIIIs, meaning post war but Python actions would get my vote. I believe they ran from 1955 to the mid to late sixties.
The MKIIIs are nice but really overbuilt.

If wanting for DA shooting, Smiths win out with factory actions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan Wesson have served me well

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Plenty of options to choose from. Take your time, pick your poison. As long as your are patient you will find what you like.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Biebs
Nice! I saw a Colt Trooper 4" that looked pretty cool as well.
Keep your eye on gunbroker for those.

Most Troopers for sale there are the Mk III models which are nice revolvers but IMO too big and heavy for a .22, plus their prices tend to go way up. But occasionally, right now in fact, they'll have some original Troopers from the 60's and before. Those are really well made and lately have been a very good deal. If you search for them ignore those two overpriced at $2,000, those have been there unloved for a few months now.

1954 Trooper .22

This one pictured went for $505 just before Christmas

[Linked Image from gbapics-bbhmapccg7fxbje0.z01.azurefd.net]
Nice.

Sometime you can find a pre-War Colt. I picked up this one for $400 a few years ago. Sometimes it's easier to deal with a vendor when the show is over and they're packing up their stuff. That's what happened in this case.

I like it better with Python grips, but do have the OEM's. The late'30's action is amazingly smooth and it's very accurate. I think it may edge my K-22.

Yeah, it's a full sized gun.

DF

Dirtfarmer, That pre-war Colt is the nuts. I like the Python grips better myself. But, the originals show the vintage unmistakably.

I would also suggest a S&W Model 17.

This one is a 17-3. K-22.

Nice 17-3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lotsa good ideas here from an abundance of experience. I would not buy anything new , as the workmanship and production of the older models is not duplicated .

A few notes: the 4 click Ruger single sixes were not convertible, hence nice tight .222 bores.

You mentioned the Diamond back , I have had several, none were shooters. But, they look great.

You have been pointed in the right direction.....don't mess it up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I agree with this suggestion, but...the heart wants what the heart wants. If the OP wants a wheel gun, then a wheel gun it shall be. He didn't state any particular reason as to why it needs to be a revolver, but there might be one or more. To answer the question asked: My suggestion is a used Smith 617. If you decide to sell it, you should easily break even.

As to why not a revolver, .22 revolvers are fine if you are one of those who really like revolvers. We each must determine our own "revolver affinity" by buying a few and then seeing if they ever leave the house after the first two range trips. I've had a couple .22lr revolvers over the years. I'd buy one, and then sell it. Then I'd kick myself, buy another, and then remember why I sold the first one. For me, the utility isn't there. I still have some J-frames and a couple of pre-lock Smiths, but none in .22lr. I've had similar experiences with .22lr conversion kits--both for 1911's and Glocks. They seem like a good idea, but I rarely shoot them.

For some reason, I think the Ruger MK II or the Browning Buckmark is the sweet spot of the .22lr handgun world. But again, this is all just my personal preference. I include these musings only for the OP's consideration. If he buys a .22lr revolver but later falls out of love with it, I just want to let him know that there's no shame in it. A gun purchase is not a marriage; it's a dating relationship. If you decide you're not satisfied, you are free to break-up with your gun and move on!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Or,...... you can buy 'em all.

B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cisco1
Or,...... you can buy 'em all.

In my earlier days, that's exactly what I would have done! :-)

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you decide to buy a .22 revolver, don't buy one with that ugly Hillary hole. 1911Addicts site has a "gallery" thread, like most sites. Some guys get on there and they're all gleeful about their new gun. Then, I click on the picture to blow it up and it's got the big fat ugly Hillary hole. I immediately close the picture. Zero interest. Lol.

There are so many old S&W revolvers out there for sale. I don't know why anyone would buy a new S&W revolver. The older revolvers just have so much more class.

Here's Model 14-3. K-38.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Biebs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Very nice!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek

I've got a couple mark 2s and a mark 3. I still have to watch YouTube to put them back together
They’re easier to reassemble than a Nylon 66. Don’t ever strip one of those down to parts, no need to. I had to borrow a friends 66 to put mine back together. My gunsmith was impressed I pulled it off, said he occasionally gets a bag of parts to reassemble.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cs2blue
Plenty of options to choose from. Take your time, pick your poison. As long as your are patient you will find what you like.
Yep, shopping is half the fun.

Guess I’ve been on too many Mall trips with my wife, starting to think like her.

But the chase can be challenging.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My S&W M17-3 made 1971. A very nice accurate .22 that won’t break the bank if you shop around for a while.
Like all all good things they are getting harder to find.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,147
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.