-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I swapped into this rifle maybe 15 years ago and have decided that it will not be included in my post-retirement downsized collection. It's a tough choice...I've always loved the .264, but the truth is I've never taken the opportunity to really stretch it out to its potential and I don't see my future hunting activities doing that either. I did hunt with it, but what I was doing with it didn't test it at all.

The rifle is of 1960 vintage, based on the serial number (469XXX). The stock is NOT original, and I know this because when I received the rifle the stock had been molested and that's why I replaced it. The stock presently on it is a Winchetser pre-64 stock from approximately the same time frame, and it is in decent shape with only minor handling blemishes...pretty darned nice for a 60-something year old stock, really. The red recoil pad remains in good shape and is only slightly distorted (I store my rifles muzzle down with crown protection in order to preserve buttpads).

The barreled action is in nice shape as well. There are some minor blemishes, and the most significant of those is shown in the photo of the rear sight area. The rifle came to me with the front sight sweated off, and I never had that item (I didn't care because I never use iron sights on a rifle anymore anyway). I suppose it could be replaced, but I wouldn't really know about that. The original 26-inch barrel has not been cut or messed with in any way I can discern. The bolt bears markings matching the action's serial number.

The Dual Dovetail mounts and rings will remain with the rifle unless the buyer does not want them. The rings are high, and are tall enough to accommodate a 50mm objective.

The rifle is a very good shooter. The only bullet that I ever worked with is the 140-grain Accubond and I had no trouble achieving good hunting accuracy with it using a charge of IMR7828. How well it might shoot other bullets is unknown; I never cared to try any others. The day I shot to select a seating depth I fired seven 3-shot groups at 100 yards and the average was almost exactly one inch. The depth I selected shot 0.57 inch. I have never experienced any kind of functional issue with this rifle and it has been 100% trouble-free. I have fired about 160 rounds with it myself. I do not know how many times it was fired before it was mine, but it surely wasn't enough to wear it out.

NOT included in price - Purchaser will have first option on the following: according to my inventory spreadsheet I have 100 pieces of new Nosler brass for .264 Mag (I'll have to dig around and locate it before I promise anything). In addition, I have 100 pieces of fired brass that show very little if any thinning at all at the web when checked using a paper clip bent 90 degrees...I think these cases are good for at least two or more additional uses, maybe more. With the fired brass I'll throw in 20 each 140-grain Accubonds, carefully pulled. I also have a die set consisting of a Redding Body die, a Redding neck die, and a Wilson in-line seater die.

$1175 shipped* and insured to your FFL in the lower 48. Payment via check, money order, or Zelle is fine---your choice. Absolutely NO PAYPAL, please do not ask.

*I am thinking I will ship the barreled action separate from the stock in order to reduce the risk of damage.

First "I'll take it" posted will be honored.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Very tempting!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
“The rifle is of 1960 vintage, based on the serial number (469XXX). The stock is NOT original, and I know this because when I received the rifle the stock had been molested and that's why I replaced it. The stock presently on it is a Winchetser pre-64 stock from approximately the same time frame, and it is in decent shape with only minor handling blemishes...pretty darned nice for a 60-something year old stock, really. The red recoil pad remains in good shape and is only slightly distorted (I store my rifles muzzle down with crown protection in order to preserve buttpads).”

You also know it because it’s low comb.

Hell of a deal here for someone.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I always HATED a Monte Carlo hump. The bubba-ized stock that came on the rifle had one, but I was never sure whether even that one was original so I just looked around for one I liked.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Is the stock currently on it bedded?

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
River rider

GREAT pictures. It would wonderful if everyone posted the same quality photos.

A very fair price on a fine hunting rifle.

Hal

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Is the stock currently on it bedded?

I'll be damned if I remember for sure, but I don't think so. I'll check.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Completely virgin inletting.

In the interest of full disclosure, I can't recall much accuracy testing after replacing the stock. It seemed to be fine when I took it out to reestablish zero after installing this stock, and I never felt like it needed any attention. I am pretty sure I've had at least three different scopes on it as well, and again---never felt like the accuracy had changed significantly. Bedding attention may well enhance its accuracy performance...I just never felt the need.

Trigger guard and floorplate are in decent shape, too.

Here's the naked action:

Don't be the darkness.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Why do I think I need another one....

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle. Great deal!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Nice rifle, rare caliber, and fair price!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Will someone please buy this?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Deal pending, will update as appropriate.

Don't be the darkness.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Thank you, man of mystery.

👍

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Thank you, man of mystery.

👍

LOL.

Just spoke with the interested party and a transaction has been arranged. If it falls through (and I don't think it will) I will make a lot of noise about continued availability.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice one Andrew !

He’s a great Seller to deal with to.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/20/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Neal.

The rifle is GONE.

Stay tuned, more to come! (not more pre-64s, but other rifles, a shotgun or two, and maybe a few handguns)

Last edited by RiverRider; 01/22/24.

Don't be the darkness.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,740
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.