Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Was Custer a hero?
Maybe in the Civil War he was.
Not at the Little Big Horn, though.
In my opinion he was a selfish glory hound.
Ordering Reno to attack the south end of the camp and then abandoning him.
He used Reno as a diversion.

No matter how much evidence you post, there are still those that won’t read it or just ignore it. All of these points have been covered more than once, providing plenty of evidence to the contrary…
No special evidence needed.
Just take the points that pretty much everyone agrees on :

Reno was ordered to attack the south end of the camp and he did so.
Custer promised Reno that he would back him up.
Instead of backing Reno as promised, Custer moved north to attack the north end of the camp and possibly corral some non-combatants.
It looks like Reno was used to poke the nest and in effect create a diversion.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I didn't watch all the videos. But several years ago I saw a one hour program on tv, where there had been a fire at the Little Bighorn, and the ground was all cleared. A team of archaeologists went in with metal detectors. They didn't find many cartridge casings at Last Stand Hill, and so they declared that right there, Custer's men didn't put up much of a fight.

What the Phds overlooked, was one hundred years of souvenir hunting. When Terry's troops came in 3 days after the battle, and they saw the hill where Custer and Tom had been killed, you know some of those soldiers picked up cartridge casings for souvenirs.

There was another forum that I was on, a guy said that his dad and uncle went to Last Stand Hill, maybe in the twenties, and picked up a 5-gallon bucket of cartridge casings from Last Stand Hill and elsewhere on the battlefield.

These latter-day arechaeologists ignored a hundred years of souvenir hunting, therefore their conclusions are incorrect.

Absolutely. I thought the same when I read the book about their findings

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Was Custer a hero?
He won’t no hero in the civil war

😂

The Civil War is what made him a household name

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Was Custer a hero?
He won’t no hero in the civil war

😂

The Civil War is what made him a household name
I think most agree on that.
The Appomattox surrender signing table story and all.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It sure is nice to be Monday morning quarterbacks, we did not live in the era, were not at the battle and have various and conflicting accounts of the battle by Injuns and whites. Custer had mostly inexperienced soldiers under his command who panicked, if he had Civil War veterans there would have been very different outcome. Their rifles also jammed and many pocket knives were found by the bodies of soldiers trying to pry spent brass out. There were a lot more Injuns than he anticipated even though they did see a large trail leading to the Little Big Horn. But the fact is if he had all veterans they would have dispersed the Indians because Indians would not face a well regulated cavalry as was the fact in almost all previous battles. Was Custer arrogant, yes he was but he was no fool.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just want to know what became of GAC's 50-70 Rolling Block...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by duke61
But the fact is if he had all veterans they would have dispersed the Indians because Indians would not face a well regulated cavalry as was the fact in almost all previous battles. Was Custer arrogant, yes he was but he was no fool.

Speaking in generalities…..

Armies consist of expendable men who fight battles. Battles often include such things as charges into heavy fire to win the day. The only nations that can field armies were/are agricultural wherein some fraction of society can feed all the rest, including armies. While damaging, as long as losses were kept within reason their nations would survive.

Plains Indians were hunter/gatherers, there were no warehouses full of stored surplus grain we read of as long ago as Joseph’s Egypt. Most Plains Indian men had family members to support and the loss of warriors could result in actual starvation. This was reflected in their modes of warfare.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
But the fact is if he had all veterans they would have dispersed the Indians because Indians would not face a well regulated cavalry as was the fact in almost all previous battles. Was Custer arrogant, yes he was but he was no fool.

Armies consist of expendable men who fight battles. Battles often include such things as charges into heavy fire to win the day. The only nations that can field armies were/are agricultural wherein some fraction of society can feed all the rest, including armies. While damaging, as long as losses were kept within reason their nations would survive.

Plains Indians were hunter/gatherers, there were no warehouses full of stored surplus grain we read of as long ago as Joseph’s Egypt. Most Plains Indian men had family members to support and the loss of warriors could result in actual starvation. This was reflected in their modes of warfare.

Agree, my point was that was one of the reasons Custer's command was wiped out. Indians usually did not fight as a unit but as individuals just like other primitive tribes. One of the best examples of military discipline was when Zulu's attacked the British at Rorke's Drift, and even though Zulus were a lot more disciplined army than American Indians they could not overcome trained and highly disciplined British.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Agree, my point was that was one of the reasons Custer's command was wiped out. Indians usually did not fight as a unit but as individuals just like other primitive tribes. One of the best examples of military discipline was when Zulu's attacked the British at Rorke's Drift, and even though Zulus were a lot more disciplined army than American Indians they could not overcome trained and highly disciplined British.

Hum! Isandlwana 135 years ago today! (OK, a day off🤣)

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/21/24.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Indians usually did not fight as a unit but as individuals just like other primitive tribes.

James Smith (1737-1813) would strongly disagree 🙂

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Smith_(frontiersman)

Smith was one of those larger than-life historical characters whose life reads like improbable fiction. Captured in Pennsylvania age 18, he spent five years among the Mississagua Mohawks. Five years later he returned to his family and went on to organize a Frontier Militia against raiding Indians, White outlaws and eventually the British. Later in life he was present at the 1776 Independence Convention, elected to high office in Kentucky and eventually became a Christian Missionary.

Unfortunately his captivity narrative Scoouwa is not available for free online. Among hobby reenactors that narrative is notable in part because it details how early (1750’s) even backwoods Indians valued rifles and were expert in their use. This appreciation of cutting-edge firearms technology was still evident 120 years later at the LBH

Fortunately his other work, a treatise on Indian combat tactics, is available online for free, tho the link is a tad clumsy:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951001521428f&seq=1

His basic premise is this….. war is their principal study…. sure he was talking 18th Century woodlands but the same was true on the Plains …in this they have arrived at considerable perfection.

General orders are given at the time of battle - either by a shout or yell - which is well understood, then they advance or retreat in concert. They are commonly well equipped, and exceedingly active and expert in the use of arms.

Look for Smith’s description of more complex battlefield maneuvers, some also commonly employed during deer drives.

Smith goes on to point out that Braddock’s Defeat and Arthur St Clair’s 1793 catastrophe on the Wabash (more than 600 soldiers and militia killed at slight loss to the Indians) could hardly have been so efficiently accomplished without considerable order and coordination among the Indians.

and give them Zulus Martini-Henry’s rifles too and the outcome coulda been different 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Indians had a reputation as being terrible shots with rifles unless at close range. So I've heard.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It sure is nice to be Monday morning quarterbacks, we did not live in the era, were not at the battle and have various and conflicting accounts of the battle by Injuns and whites. Custer had mostly inexperienced soldiers under his command who panicked, if he had Civil War veterans there would have been very different outcome. Their rifles also jammed and many pocket knives were found by the bodies of soldiers trying to pry spent brass out. There were a lot more Injuns than he anticipated even though they did see a large trail leading to the Little Big Horn. But the fact is if he had all veterans they would have dispersed the Indians because Indians would not face a well regulated cavalry as was the fact in almost all previous battles. Was Custer arrogant, yes he was but he was no fool.
Quite a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking in this post ^^^

smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hastings
The Indians had a reputation as being terrible shots with rifles unless at close range. So I've heard.

I guess there were Indians and then again there were Indians. In the early 18th Century the British Trader Adair pointed out that his Chickasaw customers would commonly fire 100 or more rounds wringing out a new trade gun (smoothbores, not rifles yet).

The people at americanlongrifles.com believe the longrifle first appeared in Pennsylvania (1740’s) in response to the demands of the Indian trade; nice to look at and being smallbore, were economical of lead and powder.

The first time British Redcoats got shot up in North America by long range riflery was when they went against the Cherokees in 1760.

1780, British Colonel Edward Hanger observed a 400 yard shot against himself by a Patriot rifleman, a near miss. For 56 years that was the longest recorded rifle shot with a round ball flintlock rifle.-

1836, Florida, Withlacoochie River, General Edmund P Gaines reported that his men were being hit by single aimed rifle shots fired at a distance between four and five hundred yards. Gaines himself lost a tooth to a ricochet. The guys firing those shots were Seminoles and/or their Black Seminole allies.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Houston_2
I believe I recall earlier in a similar thread on LBH that Sitting Bull later said that if Reno had pressed his attack and held giving Custer time to actually attack the encampment that Custer would have carried the day.
Everything I've read says that Reno had about 140 men and could not hold a skirmish line against the hundreds of warriors that met him at the south end of the camp.
Custer didn't have enough troopers for his plan to work.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If Benteen would have stayed south and continued west until he hit the river he possibly could have out flanked the warriors flanking Reno. But in reality things were happening so fast that timeline probably wouldn’t have worked out.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
August Finkle the survivor

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Daniel Boone said that was because they always yanked the trigger

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
and give them Zulus Martini-Henry’s rifles too and the outcome coulda been different 🙂

I can’t remember who observed this and made the comment (F R Burnham maybe???). But apparently the Matabele had a habit of gripping the rifle extra tight, running the rear sight to full elevation, and jerking the trigger. 😁. Thinking this would make it shoot true, or some such nonsense

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Wasn’t there a lone survivor from the LBH battle?
There were over 300 U.S. Army survivors in the 7 companies commanded by Major Reno but in actuality commanded by Capt. Benteen. They set up a defensive position and held it until the Indians abandoned the battlefield and headed for the hills.

There is reason to believe a soldier named Frank Finkel or Finkle with General Custer at last stand hill survived when his horse bolted and took off with him. He tells a fairly credible story and surfaced many years later. I think he died around 1930 in Washington state.

Reno didn't have command of 7 companies when he went dow on the Little Bighorn. He had 3 companies, Benteen had 3 companies with him and 1 company was left with the pack train. Custer had 5 companies with him. At the Reno/Benteen site, there would have been 7 companies combined at that point. Frank Finkle has been debunked. He and many others claimed escaping, but there is no proof.

In our research and discovery of previously unknown circumstances, we did find an account of a local kid that grew up on Reno Creek in the 1930's and claimed he had found the remains of 2 soldiers in a rock crevice 7 miles east of the battlefield. Our research is still incomplete, but we have discovered an eyewitness account from Custer's scouts that actually saw 2 Soldiers back near the Lone Teepee site and surrounded by 5 Sioux warriors. It is in the book by Walter Mason Camp "Custer 1876" This isn't rumor as so many stories are and many show up in discussions like this.

We have found indications of a possible skirmish 6 1/2 miles east of the battlefield that will support this as a real incident. Where and what we have done is well recorded and the hoops you have to jump through is more than a single person can take on. There is more information we have that doesn't permit recalling much of it here as there is so much and the people and technical equipment we have used there is beyond even what they used in the battlefield archaeology in the 1980's.

Outside resources have been studied extensively and most is 3rd, 4th and even 50th repeat of the same material with little real historical connection. Custer may be the most written about person in American History nest to Lincoln and finding real documented accounts are scarce. We have been able to weed them out, as we have been pursuing this for more than 40 years.

Here is the account by the Indian scout in "Custer 1876" by Walter Mason Camp. He interviewed every survivor of the battle that he could locate, both Indians and soldiers to find out the most he could on the battle. This supports our research into the possibility of the 2 soldiers seen in the rock crevice in the 1930's. My guess is this is the first time anyone here has even heard of such a finding...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There's an excerpt from a W. M. Camp letter stating one of the two soldiers survived. Was this proven to be inaccurate?

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,135
Posts18,502,708
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.