Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hmmm. Was messing with an AR15 in 7.62x39 and having issues with a particular cartridge loaded with a soft round nose bullet. Figured opening the feedramps up would help. BTW have since decided to avoid this particular load in the AR...

Fast forward, decided to ask here about considerations with feedramps and the larger diameter cartridges. What's the scoop? Have 6ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, and thinking of a 300 BO and maybe a 350 Legend.

Appreciate any input or cross discussion from you experienced folks.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The 7.62x39 can be challenging to make feed reliably.

I saw a photo of a feed ramp from a maker that use with great reliability. The ramp was not the divided type M-4 ramp, but a solid ramp leading up to the chamber.

Was having trouble with mine, and knew the feed ramps were where the failures were happening. I got my tools out an ground down the middle hump on the feed ramps, and mine has been 100% since. If need be, I can post a photo for you, but really can't recommend doing what I did unless you know what you are doing.

My ramp looks like this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This was what it was before:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great Dremel work!

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Right on. Appreciate your posting!

What mags have you found 7.62x39 success with?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Right on. Appreciate your posting!

What mags have you found 7.62x39 success with?

I'm using DuraMag SS's.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
polishing and opening the feed ramps can help with bigger rounds, Polishing alone can help if 223 has issues.

thats a good job on removing the hump. Need to look at nephews x39 Its never given an issue with ballistic tips or barnes. But I should look in there just to learn.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
They don’t work with Speer 130 gr FPs (#2007). I can tell you that. My 300 BLK was finnicky with that bullet. I’ve recently switched to the Horn 125 HP and the Sierra 135 HP and they’ve been fine. The 125 HP is better than the Sierra 135, but I’ve only had 1 FTF with it in 50 or so rounds.

2% is way too much, but considering it was 50% and I’m currently working through some major concentricity issues with rounds after bullet seating, I’d say it’s not the projectiles fault.

My 7.62x39 AR runs like a freaking top with Sierra, Hornady and Nosler Varmageddon (I think Hornady SST OEMs if I’m not mistaken). All these are plastic thin or SP variety, so no broad meplat projectiles. Even with S&B ammo with not very pointy SPs, it runs perfectly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m pretty sure those two pics aren’t a before and after (and I don’t think rockinbbar was saying that they were). I believe they are representative of two different ramp styles. The bottom pic the ramps extend into the upper. The top pic they don’t. You can’t add back metal with a dremel.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Petro, if you can find 125 Sierra SP's, try them. They have been flawless in my BLK.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Correct. Just showing what works from a particular manufacturer in the top picture.

More images of opened up feed ramps appreciated. I'm fairly adventurous. Nothing money can't cure - in moderation.

By the way, the 7.62x39 round that started this was the PRVI round nose supersonic with a good bit of exposed lead up front. The leading edge of the bullet jacket would "catch" as well as the case mouth. My ASC mags were tossed in favor of Duramags as well.

I'm working on another x39 today and might give it a whirl. About half jokingly told a friend that if he did a particular something I'd give him an AR and sure as heck. LOL

Thank you for the comments.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice work on that feed ramp!

My favorite mags are the 28-round Duramags.

I have a couple ASC mags in 10-round and 20-round. They have functioned well enough, but the Duramags have some different kind of mojo. When I load the Duramags, they just feel like they are loading up smoothly and easily.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Correct. Just showing what works from a particular manufacturer in the top picture.

More images of opened up feed ramps appreciated. I'm fairly adventurous. Nothing money can't cure - in moderation.

By the way, the 7.62x39 round that started this was the PRVI round nose supersonic with a good bit of exposed lead up front. The leading edge of the bullet jacket would "catch" as well as the case mouth. My ASC mags were tossed in favor of Duramags as well.

I'm working on another x39 today and might give it a whirl. About half jokingly told a friend that if he did a particular something I'd give him an AR and sure as heck. LOL

Thank you for the comments.

Boomer, I just went and looked, it is the Privi RN that was giving me trouble, not S&B!

Son_of_the_Gael, yes those have worked well for me in the past. I switched over to the hornady 125 during the last panic and haven’t gone back over.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Nice work on that feed ramp!

My favorite mags are the 28-round Duramags.

I have a couple ASC mags in 10-round and 20-round. They have functioned well enough, but the Duramags have some different kind of mojo. When I load the Duramags, they just feel like they are loading up smoothly and easily.
Thats interesting on the mags. I've never had a problem with ASC but have not had an X39 thats mine. They work well in the spc cases, Grendel etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Interestingly I had the same impression loading the 10-round ASC 7.62x39 mags, like I was fighting them.

Still hoping for a Pmag ARx39.

About Dremel time.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Right on. I am not alone it seems....

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Interestingly I had the same impression loading the 10-round ASC 7.62x39 mags, like I was fighting them.

Still hoping for a Pmag ARx39.

About Dremel time.

Yep, especially those 10-rounders.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I went ahead and did this. Just followed the lines of the two and connected. Hopefully try it out today.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Seems to work, even with the short PRVI round noses previously mentioned. Eats up Barnul and Wolf steel cased. Cerakoted then rattle canned LOL.

Appreciate the inputs!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,501
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.