Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Why do you need an airgap?

Mines in a walkout basement. Potential water issue.

You guys in flood country would need to put a safe on stilts!

I am MAGA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Mine still sits atop the shipping pallet it came on. Our basement is not a walkout and after watching three guys muscle it in empty I have never worried about anchoring it down.

Same, except ours is a walkout.
1000lb+3-400lb of guns.

I live in a small development with 4 of us who watch the neighborhood carefully.
All armed, all have confronted someone they didn't recognize around a neighbors
home. My basement entry is clearly visible from other homes, and the road.

You gotta be realistic about safes.
Very few people are ever hit by someone able and equipped to open or move a safe.
Even with knowledge and tools it takes time, and makes noise. Two things
burgers do not want. The only safes I've heard of being compromised were from
folks who lived in isolated places, and/or provided the equipment to the thieves.

A contractor who owned a farm (because being in the "country") is safe.🤣
Was on vacation when burglars hit, they used his concrete saw to open his
safe.

Our safe, and situation, leaves us in such a low risk level that my guns (in the safe)
are of zero concern. Much bigger is the concern of family walking into a burglery.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Use something that gives plenty of clearance
Mine is about a 3/8” off the floor and noticed yesterday I have a rust issue
Kenneth
Ouch. Yeah, the furniture risers above are 1" high. Was thinking of just using 2x4's - but wood transfers moisture pretty well.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have a 1250 lb empty weight safe.

Mostly to keep the slightly less honest folks from taking our chit.

The fear is someone learns about the big metal box and tells someone else who tells someone else that rolls in pointing a firearm at our head saying "open it".

It sits on a chunk of 3/4 plywood on cement. Hell if I know if its rusting or not.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Mine still sits atop the shipping pallet it came on. Our basement is not a walkout and after watching three guys muscle it in empty I have never worried about anchoring it down.

Stealing the safe is not why you bolt it to the floor. you bolt it to the floor so they can't flip it on it's back and have all the leverage needed to pry it open.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Use something that gives plenty of clearance
Mine is about a 3/8” off the floor and noticed yesterday I have a rust issue
Kenneth
Ouch. Yeah, the furniture risers above are 1" high. Was thinking of just using 2x4's - but wood transfers moisture pretty well.

That’s why I used a PVC 1x6 on each side. No moisture transfer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That’s great - makes it easy for a thief to get a pry bar under it to to get the lag bolts loose.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
That’s great - makes it easy for a thief to get a pry bar under it to to get the lag bolts loose.
If thieves come prepared enough to cut through lag bolts in a 1" gap on the bottom... They'd have come prepared to cut thru the side of the safe and get right to the guns.

Angle grinders aren't expensive. Gun safes are to stop the unprepared thief, or to slow them down while police get there from your alarm system.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine sits on a concrete slab. No issues

For me the safe is a way to keep honest people honest, keep curious kids safe, etc.

If someone points a gun at me and demands I open the safe, I’ll open it right up.

The valuable guns are insured and those that aren’t are easily replaced

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I built a custom made pallet to get it 4" off the concrete floor in the basement.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have heard of people putting them on hockey pucks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Mine sits on a concrete slab. No issues

For me the safe is a way to keep honest people honest, keep curious kids safe, etc.

If someone points a gun at me and demands I open the safe, I’ll open it right up.
Hopefully, when you do, you'll naturally have one that's loaded and hanging on the door in a perfect position to be able to grab it, whip around and empty several rounds into his/her center mass... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Raise it with something we had a water leak I didn’t really think it went that far but when we moved it was mold under it and had to replace hardwood floor .

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Mine is on concrete. Have it on a couple of those fridge rollers. Pull it out and vacuum behind it every year or so.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A co worker of mine lives out in the country. One Sunday when they went to church and came home. Someone had drug his safe through his house to the garage and it was gone, whole safe. They tore door framing and scratched up the hardwood floor doing it. He has a feeling that his house, being in the woods, was scouted. He walked around the wood line and found cigarette butts. Police had the butts checked for DNA. Got a hit on a local known criminal. He told them he sold the guns to some guys taking them to New York to sell on the streets. Well, He ID'ed the criminals and they were caught in North Carolina. Got his guns back, and 4 criminals in jail. The local guy scouted gun stores, struck up conversations with gun owners, got their names, then scouted their places. Stole a lot of guns that way by scouting their homes, especially if they were isolated in woody country areas. This goes on a lot in the south, guns stolen, and sold on the streets of Chicago or New York. What he thought was they put a chain around the safe, used a truck to pull it through the house, then pushed it over in the truck and left. Quick and easy for 4 people.

So, bolting your safe to the floor, could help keep the whole safe from being stolen, but not if they bring cutters. A friend of mine puts gun powder around the edges of his safe. He said if someone tries to cut into it, he may not have any guns left, but neither will the thief.

Most gun owners I know have safes, but that only stops a low IQ criminal.

Had a friend park in a dark spot going to Cracker Barrel. Was busy. However, someone punched a hole in his truck a few inches below the door lock. Opened the door, and stole his Glock out of his truck. Should just get a CC permit and carry it with you at all times. No one noticed this theft, and there were no cameras around.

Smart thief's can get away with finding things as they know where to look. Concealed shelving and furniture can also be checked by a smart thief.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
A co worker of mine lives out in the country. One Sunday when they went to church and came home. Someone had drug his safe through his house to the garage and it was gone, whole safe. They tore door framing and scratched up the hardwood floor doing it. He has a feeling that his house, being in the woods, was scouted. He walked around the wood line and found cigarette butts. Police had the butts checked for DNA. Got a hit on a local known criminal. He told them he sold the guns to some guys taking them to New York to sell on the streets. Well, He ID'ed the criminals and they were caught in North Carolina. Got his guns back, and 4 criminals in jail. The local guy scouted gun stores, struck up conversations with gun owners, got their names, then scouted their places. Stole a lot of guns that way by scouting their homes, especially if they were isolated in woody country areas. This goes on a lot in the south, guns stolen, and sold on the streets of Chicago or New York. What he thought was they put a chain around the safe, used a truck to pull it through the house, then pushed it over in the truck and left. Quick and easy for 4 people.

So, bolting your safe to the floor, could help keep the whole safe from being stolen, but not if they bring cutters. A friend of mine puts gun powder around the edges of his safe. He said if someone tries to cut into it, he may not have any guns left, but neither will the thief.

Most gun owners I know have safes, but that only stops a low IQ criminal.

Had a friend park in a dark spot going to Cracker Barrel. Was busy. However, someone punched a hole in his truck a few inches below the door lock. Opened the door, and stole his Glock out of his truck. Should just get a CC permit and carry it with you at all times. No one noticed this theft, and there were no cameras around.

Smart thief's can get away with finding things as they know where to look. Concealed shelving and furniture can also be checked by a smart thief.

The police did DNA tests on cigarette butts for a property crime? That would be highly unusual.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Calhoun: When I moved my safes into the gun vault room at my new home I did not know about these items - this was 26 years ago now.
I used 2"x4" pieces of wood.
Thanks for the heads up though.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My local safe dealer uses hockey pucks. Not sure of any advantage other than they won’t hold moisture like wood will.
Good luck,
Rick

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
How bout a pallet

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd also heard about hockey pucks, and was thinking about them. Supposed to support 300 pounds apiece, so 4 or 6 of them under a safe should work. And also cheap.. can buy a dozen for $30 or so.

Pallets work if you want to leave them on. I'd rather not, just because I don't trust cheap pallet wood to last 25 yrs if it gets wet even once.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.