Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
About 5 cords, mixed hardwoods
HeatMor outdoor wood ‘boiler’
3100ft sqft

Only really fire the furnace from about Thanksgiving to Mid February.

Northwest TN

Other sources suppliment

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
2500 sq foot house, we only turn on the central heat if we are leaving town. So far this year i have burned 7 truck loads of hickory.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Full Cord, Standard Cord = 4' x 4' x 8'

Face Cord is 4' x 8' 16" - 20" cut length, never heard the term "rick".

Was using the term face cord back in the 70s and 80s when Dad and his buddies were in the wood business.

Around here nobody knows or cares what a cord is. It's bought/sold by the truck or trailer load. 6 foot bed, 8 foot bed, single axle dump load, double axle dump load, tri-axle, etc. 6 foot trailer, 8 foot trailer, 12 foot trailer, etc. Level or heaped is a good question to ask over the phone when calling on it.

Most around here cut their own though, and just get up a pile as big or bigger than used in previous winter's. Some do bother to stack it pretty and neat. Usually 4 ft high, and as long as it needs to be.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Well I heat with a wood pellet stove. How many pellet's are in a cord? :-)

A ton of pellets is about 1.5 cord.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
3-4 cords per year. Going on three years not running our geothermal heat pump.
Mostly ash and beech this year and the pile is being consumed much faster than the last couple. Need to get more elm put up next year.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dang, I miss a wood stove. Reading this makes my back start hurting just thinking about stacking wood. After a couple zippers in my lower back, I can't hack it anymore. I do like a nice fireplace in winter evenings.

Last edited by reivertom; 01/22/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3000ft2 with a Central Boiler 6048.

Burning it for 11yrs now and I’m still waiting for a year where I’m not burning a lot of what I call garbage wood (spruce, red pine, cottonwood, box elder) to see what the minimum I can get away with is. There usually a 50/50 mix of hardwood (oak, hard maple, locust, cherry, walnut) along with the softwood species. That said, I’m usually burning 7-10 full cord (4x4x8) per year depending on the severity of the weather.

This year as a gift my wife bought me 6 face cord of oak slab wood from a mill which was noticeably less effective than proper, cured firewood but it burned all the same and it put us in that much better shape for next year. It was the thought that counted. ☺️

Fear the crabcat.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
7-10 cord with a central boiler seems about average here, too.

Slabs seasoned for a year or two are comparable to any other cord wood IME. you do have to Tetris them in the firebox though to minimize airspace and surface area. At least that is how I use them, when I have them.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any have an outside furnace?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Any have an outside furnace?
Read the thread moron and stop putting people on fàggie ignore. Then you’d know

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Full Cord, Standard Cord = 4' x 4' x 8'

Face Cord is 4' x 8' 16" - 20" cut length, never heard the term "rick".

Was using the term face cord back in the 70s and 80s when Dad and his buddies were in the wood business.

Around here nobody knows or cares what a cord is. It's bought/sold by the truck or trailer load. 6 foot bed, 8 foot bed, single axle dump load, double axle dump load, tri-axle, etc. 6 foot trailer, 8 foot trailer, 12 foot trailer, etc. Level or heaped is a good question to ask over the phone when calling on it.

Most around here cut their own though, and just get up a pile as big or bigger than used in previous winter's. Some do bother to stack it pretty and neat. Usually 4 ft high, and as long as it needs to be.

most people sell face cords around here but they conveniently fill up the back of a pickup truck, a face chord goes for about $120 with a delivery fee if you don't pick it up.

I have a local kid that has the dead ash tree market cornered, started out doing it all by hand 3 years ago, now he has a gas powered splitter and brings in about 2000 a week in the fall.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/22/24.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We cut firewood for two houses. Both houses were built over 100 years ago, but have been renovated. They both have the same crown royal outdoor stove. With average winter weather, we fill it at night, then throw a few logs on in the morning. It's nice because you don't spend has much time splitting or checking the fire. A pick up truck load(not stacked) will last about a week

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
…do you use in a typical season?

What type of application are you using firewood for?

ETA: for reference, I am referring to a “full” cord, as in 128 cu/ft of wood. The classic 4x4x8 stuff.

I stack em 4' high and double wide 16" cuts. i need an inch over 12' long to make a full cord.
Mostly ash and oak.

I have 36' of this , which is just a hair under 3 cords of split seasoned.

I also have about 3/4 cords of unseasoned "crap" wood that I scrounge from wherever along the way. Its set up on pallets in front of my good stuff.

I've burned through all of the crap (3/4 cord) in the fall through most of Dec and maybe 1/4 cord of the good stuff from late Dec till today.

5 bedroom split level. I turn the heat fully off until December. Turn it off again in march. So it ends up being about 50% of heating in the coldest months and 100% of heating in the shoulder seasons.

I suspect I'll use just shy of 3 cords by late spring. More than I have to, but I like to burn it, enjoy a fire, and do it for exercise as well. I'm about 300 years old.

Lopi insert. Medium.

Northern NJ.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 01/22/24.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Probably do 4 cords this year. Propane furnace primary with EPA freestanding stove in basement and EPA insert in living room. Insert is burned whenever anyone's awake, and basement stove burned whenever working down there.

I built a woodshed with a 11' x 12' stacking area, so 1 foot of stack height gets me about a cord. I started with it full, stacked a little under 8' high, minus part of one row. We'll use half the stack, reload that half over the summer, then use the other side next winter. Should be nice and dry.

Lots of alder around here which is meh for heat value, but it works. Nice to have the odd maple or cherry mixed in with it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No clue, I usually burn 4 gal of gas through my chain saw when I'm cutting. My wood pile is prob 20x40x8'. Have never burnt the entire pile in one winter. Nice to have some if I ever need it. Add on wood stove/furnace in a 2200sq' home. NW/Pa.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Propane heat now.

Old house, woodstove/furnace.

10 cords of seasoned birch, per winter.

Man, that sounds like a lot of work. And a ton of ash to toss out. I feel for guys using softwoods (including the softer-hardwoods)
Same. Feel for those that have never burned "hedge"/Osage Orange.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
T
Burn 6.5 to 7 full cord of wood a year in northern Wisconsin. Have a built in Cozy Heat fireplace with glass doors. We enjoy the wood heat and like the ambiance of a burning fire. Store a minimum of 3 years of wood covered and stacked. 50% poplar and the rest a mix of maple, red oak and a little white birch. Our home is relatively new with tall vaulted ceilings but very well insulated. Have a propane furnace, two gas ovens/stoves and a gas water heater. Typically use 225 +/- gallons of propane August to August. I love cutting and splitting firewood. The stacking part is a pain but it helps keep me in shape!

"Because in the wind he is still alive!"
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary!"
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Mainly burn locust and oak mixed with some ash

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
About 4 cords, maybe a little more.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Propane heat now.

Old house, woodstove/furnace.

10 cords of seasoned birch, per winter.

Man, that sounds like a lot of work. And a ton of ash to toss out. I feel for guys using softwoods (including the softer-hardwoods)
Same. Feel for those that have never burned "hedge"/Osage Orange.
Many times we had a big potbelly in my buddy’s dad’s barn glowing orange with scraps of bo’dark from cutting bow staves. Probably a good thing that old stove was right out in the middle of the concrete floor in that barn or we’d have burned something down for sure.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,823
Posts18,477,875
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.