Campfire Outfitter
D
Buck zipper. Ain't fancy but gets the job done

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I carry the paklite skeletonized Buck skinner, caper, boning knife and the outdoor edge grizz saw.

I’ve used other knives with more comfortable handles including a beautiful custom from Alaska. I’m never going to fall in love with them but as a tool these work fine & I carry them so much more often than use them so the lightweight is important.

The skinner is enough to get the job done using the gutless method. The boning saw is nice getting meat off the bone particularly backstraps.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
McCroskey Knives.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jc189; 01/22/24.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by kwg020
I see so many knifes with less than stellar steel.

kwg

We should have a thread on this topic. I have knives with better steel than the 420 HC used in the Gator. A couple of things: first, I use the gutless method on elk. I have not gutted one in 10 years. Contact time with bones is minimal - basically digging around the humerous-pelvis to cut all the tendons/ligaments holding them together, scraping the ribs when taking out the backstrap, separating the front shoulders. Fairly light duty.

Second, in almost 50 years of hunting, I've found 3 knives, all obviously related to gut piles. Nothing expensive but a Case XX, a Buck, and a Queen Steel (I'm from PA, fairly common up there). I still have 2 of the 3. I've never left a knife in the woods - but have laid them down and had to look for them. As pointed out more than 4-5" snow makes finding a dropped knife interesting. All that to say, I'd be pretty pissed if I left a $300 knife in the woods.

My other point, that cheap Gator stays sharp for its intended purpose. I have quartered 2 elk back to back with 1 knife using the gutless method, and is was still sharp enough to do a third. This past year I gutted 3 deer. Still sharp enough to do more.

All that said, the $40 Gators have been sufficient for me. I admire really nice blades but what else could a $300 knife provide?

I would be interested in a folding knife with more colorful handle with better steel and overall lighweight that is sub $100. Examples?

Ontario RAT I

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For 40 some years I carried a Westmark 5" fixed blade knife. Used it on dozens of elk, dozens of deer, dozens of antelope, 3 moose, etc, etc. Cool looking knife but wouldn't hold an edge for very long so I've also carried a folding sharpening steel.

About 10 years ago I got an Outdoor Edge Swingblade and have used it ever since. With RMEF promotions, I have a box full of Outdoor Edge knives and knife sets. Most are unused. I also carry a folding Outdoor Edge with replaceable blades. It is great for skinning out heads.

My everyday carry knife is a small, 2" blade folding knife. When I shot my Leopard in Mozambique a few years ago, the camp skinners were skinning him and I went over to them, brought out my 2" knife, and asked if I could help. They all got a good laugh.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Same Forschner Semi-flex straight boning knife that I use on everything.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Used to be 5" but been sharpened a time or three

I made this sheath and the package just rides in my pack.

I lost an outdoor edge Swingblaze so replaced it with the fixed model. I do like those for opening.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a pretty cool set up. Looks really handy.

I've only killed one elk. I used the same Case trapper that I use on deer. It was a lot more work to skin and debone an elk v a deer. Definitely glad it had a second blade.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MedRiver, I have one close to your style of knife that I got in 1973, yours has about 75 percent more blade left than mine . been good for a lot of meat & fish cut up . edit I just went out side to look and it prob. is the same brand its been sharped up past the name ,point is about 1/4" wide .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Please.let me know what knife(s) you use for field dressing elk. Pictures appreciated. I'm looking for one knife to carry and not interested in the replaceable blade category. Thanks all!

Havalon was mentioned at least twice early in this thread despite BCHunter specifically stating he isn't interested in a replaceable blade knife. I don't think people who like Havalon knives understand they have a different psychological makeup than those who don't want the added stress of a flimsy blade when trying to cut up an animal quickly.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple nice custom knives and they are very nice for taking care of an animal, but depending on your budget it would be hard to beat a good old Buck 110 folder with a belt sheath. I find I use my 110 more than all my other knives combined on everything from squirrels and rabbits to elk and moose and it works great every time. When a custom knife will run you anywhere from $250 to $400 or more, a good inexpensive Buck won't make you cry if you lose it in the woods like I have mine a couple times. My buck takes and holds and edge very well and just plain works . The folder sheath keeps it out of my way better than my fixed blade knives so I have it on me all the time. I find my fixed blade knives in their sheath migrate to my pack and are available when I need them, but my 110 is always right on my hip where I can grab it and use it for whatever needs done ...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MedRiver
Same Forschner Semi-flex straight boning knife that I use on everything.

Used to be 5" but been sharpened a time or three

I made this sheath and the package just rides in my pack.

I lost an outdoor edge Swingblaze so replaced it with the fixed model. I do like those for opening.

My kind of knife. Got a Vicky that's alot like it. Wish I had that sheath.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
20 year old Buck 110. Always on my belt during hunting season. I’m not good at sharpening but I can always put a good edge on the Buck. I can field dress an elk and it’s still sharp enough to skin it when it’s hung in the shop.

Also carry a Buck paklite, don’t remember the model, in my pack. For a backup. Never have needed it though.
And I always have a Schrade 30T in my pocket at all times. I wouldn’t be afraid to take on any task with the mighty little lockback.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Bucklite 422’s. I have 5 of ‘em. First three were given to me as tips. Decided to lighten the load and give them a try one year. Chose the one with an orange handle and the dropped the knife in 14” of fresh powder while dressing an elk. I immediately understood the value of a blaze orange handle. I like the light weight and that they fold.

I have two custom fixed blades, including a Ingram given to me as a tip. I appreciate the workmanship and beauty, but I keep using the Bucklites.
Side question..
How are buck 442's different than 110 or 112's?

I've been thinking about getting a plastic orange 112 and I suspect its a similar knife?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gerber 950

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I like a bigger blade for elk.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some friends were hunting with Hellsaroarin
I offered some knives for them to try out.
The guide liked the Charles May best. Really like it.
D2……always choose it if possible…….as a tool&die maker it is my choice for fine steel
13% chromium 1.5% carbon. Takes and hold an edge.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Some friends were hunting with Hellsaroarin
I offered some knives for them to try out.
The guide liked the Charles May best. Really like it.
D2……always choose it if possible…….as a tool&die maker it is my choice for fine steel
13% chromium 1.5% carbon. Takes and hold an edge.
For carbon steel blades I love to use D2. However, I now grind PSF27, aka: “CPMD2”. Same steel, just made using the CPM (Crucible Particle Metallurgy) process. Results in a much more uniform distribution of carbides in the finished product. It’s simply a no brainer to use PSF27 now. Getcha some.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
TOPS knives Brothers of Bushcraft is my go-to with a carbon Mora for a backup, I want knives that not only do well skinning and quartering but will serve well for camp/bushcraft/survival type tasks if things don't go as planned. Always have a Zero Tolerance 0301ST clipped in front pocket as well.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Elkbelch
1980s Gerber bolt action exchange. I’ve been using it since new. It’s from when they were made in the USA. I’ve bought several off of the internet. Just recently picked one up for my new grandson. They can still be found. They have two blades and a handy saw. Easily get through boning out an elk

Shawn
That knife system was actually developed for Gerber by a campfire member.

I'm afraid that I can't recall the member's name now however. frown

Maybe another old timer here on the 'Fire may recall who it was.

John

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildfire45
TOPS knives Brothers of Bushcraft is my go-to with a carbon Mora for a backup, I want knives that not only do well skinning and quartering but will serve well for camp/bushcraft/survival type tasks if things don't go as planned. Always have a Zero Tolerance 0301ST clipped in front pocket as well.
I do the same.

Those carbon steel Mora knives with a plastic sheath cost the equivalent of about 8 American bucks here in Sweden.

[Linked Image from cdn.grube.de]

I apply a coat or Renaissance wax to the blade when new, and they don't rust (so far, anyway)

I have one of these Mora knives in every backpack and coat that I have - just in case. :-)

Few people would think this an ideal fish knife, but I've cleaned more than a few trout, grayling and pike with one of mine.

/John

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,810
Posts18,477,583
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.