Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Fellows,
I called Ruger 2 weeks ago about my .243 No.1 RSI.
When you drop the lever to open the breech it developed a lot of play front to back. The rifle cocked, safety worked, and you can still fire it. But I didn't feel comfortable about so they asked if I would send it in to have them take a look? Sure, no problem, I was offered a shipping carton, paid label with insurance for $45.00 for FEDEX.
That's tough to beat. I got an email with all the paperwork asking for a description of problems AND agreeing to allow them to remove any aftermarket parts etc. not to specs, I agreed. This rifle has a nice 3 screw trigger! I hope they leave that in, if not in goes a Canjar or Keplinger. I sent a note describing the issue, also enclosed a target from NY Day -with factory 90 grain Nosler Partitions that looked like a pattern board! Then I asked them to rebarrel it and replace the plain wood with something a little better. Naturally at my cost.
They sent me an email that they received it but that's all and I'm not going to contact them.
Some fellows have had success with Ruger barreling and some got a flat no. I figured it's worth a shot.

If they don't --my options are to have Mark Penrod rebarrel it and install the trigger, BUT should I stick with the same caliber, but a faster twist and AI it or go to another caliber. I have a 1a in .243 I use for coyotes and 65 grain bullets. Thís will be my Pennsylvania deer rifle.
Sorry for beating your ears so long.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i did a couple of 257 Roberts Brux barrel 8 twist rebarrel jobs on some very nice rifles if your a handloader you may like that cartridge ? i know everyone is going to say 6.5 Creedmoor ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you for your prompt reply.
No 6.5 Creedmore. I thought if I change calibers, another 243 faster twist with AI shoulder.
Soup

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Hey Soup, 35 years ago I bought a Sako in 243. I thought I would use it on pigs. Never did but I loaded up some 100 gr speers and killed 3 deer with it. I could not get over 2900 ft per sec out of 22&3/4 barrel. I later built a 243 ai on a Sako. Killed 2 deer with it. I was blowing primers at 3400 ft per sec so backed off at 3200 using 100gr in 24 inch Douglas stainless barrel. 1-10 twist. I plan to build a 280ai on a Ruger no1. It will be a rifle to use on anything bigger than deer. But if I was going to build a no1 for deer., I would give a hard look at the 257 Roberts Ai. It’s the 243s bigger brother. 2nd choice would be a 7-08. If you are truly in love with the 6mms, go 6mm Mashburn. Cheers!

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gents
Thank you for your prompt response.

Keep them coming.
Soup

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
6.5 x 47L

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Soup , one thing about doing a 257 Roberts in RSI Ruger #1 it will always have good resale , there are plenty hunters who really enjoy using the 257 Roberts cartridge for hunting or should i say a following crowd for this fine old cartridge including myself. enjoy whatever you decide,Pete53

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No advantage to have a faster twist, unless you’re shooting very long bullets.

I like 257 Roberts also.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/23/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I rebarreled one in 6mm CM with a 7-1/2 twist.
I would think that a 243 in a fast twist would be good since there are no COL constraints for the longer bullets.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bugger
No advantage to have a faster twist, unless you’re shooting very long bullets.

I like 257 Roberts also.

i my world i have got much better accuracy with faster twist barrels off a cement bench with my target rests always i own 10 different 257 Roberts rifles and the 2 with a 8 twist show the improved difference in accuracy even on 100 gr. bullets shot better groups. i have a 8 twist 257 Creedmoor and that shoots 100 gr. bullets in a smaller group . don`t try and fool yourself yes older 257 Roberts have a slow twist but a faster twist can help always a little. if it didn`t cost so much i would put a Brux barrel 8 twist on 2 of the Ruger #1`s i have .

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Ruger will only rebarrel a rifle in original caliber and contour. I had a Ruger Mark II done in 260 i had bought used and received a fine shooting barrel back from Ruger. No complaints.
F01

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fury, what did they charge you for that service? Or was it a warranty job?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
TTT

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've only sent one rifle back to Ruger, a #1A in 7x57. it was not accurate and my gunsmith did a chamber cast that 2+ inches was way too long a throat for that cartridge. For some reason it took a while to get the gun back. It had been reblued, the stock completely refinished and the barrel replaced. The only comment that came back with the rifle was, barrel is accurate. Still wasn't quite as tight grouping as I would have liked but way more than adequate for big game. It does plink Federal 175 gr. round nose into slight less than one inch though. My pet load using RL17, Winchester brass and standard primer and a 150 gr. Nosler Partition does right around 1.25" though and that's good enough for any big game animal I'd shoot at out to 300 yards, my personally imposed limit.

Most of my #1s will at least shoot that good and the few I have using varmint cartridges usually shoot sub MOA as long as I do my part.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Only shot one deer w .243win, cup n core 100gr zipped through.
Rifle was #1RSI.
Blast was annoying on that short bbl.

Think Ruger did the 1A in .250 Savage. That might be a good deer rig.
Maybe more polite.

BTW if I was gonna have an RSI built itd be in 35 rem.

Why I didn't redo my .243 win RSI?
Because it shot well.

Better IMHO to sell it to somebody that wanted that exact rifle.
Only had a 4x on it, and was my woods rig, so zeroed it at 75 yards, where it cloverleafed factory ammo.
Good enough.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/27/24.
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gents ,
No word from Ruger yet!
I have no intention of bothering them. Hunting season is way off , for rifle deer hunting anyway. Of course, I will need time to get a load it likes with Nosler 90 grain ballistic tips. Even 95 if I can get them to shoot.
I have no idea what the cost for any work from Ruger will be so if you guys have any experience in this department, please pass it on.
Going to pour here in Southern NJ tomorrow. Might be a good time to load some 6mm-66.3 grain Cecil Tucker match bullets in my .2431a. Maybe they'll shoot.
Have a nice weekend.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

Last edited by Soup; 01/27/24.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
#1 rsi

Best looking firearm ever made imo.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't screw up a #1 RSI. Regular 243 will do anything that rifle is going to do. If you feel a strong desire to rebarrel the rifle, something classic like a 250 Savage would be in order.

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Goat,
You may be right.
I'll be 75 in March. The hunting camp up in Lycoming County PA, was sold last year. My hunting buddy invited me every year. The three members are all the same age or older and one fellow wanted the money so away it went. If I get to go at all it will only be for a few days. I guess I should leave the RSI however Ruger returns it. Unless they take out my 3-screw trigger. That be the case I'll put another one in.
Thanks for your reply.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I want to own a Ruger #1, but all the stories of “Ruger roulette” with this model have me too conflicted. I refinished my friend’s red pad .300 win mag two years ago and it is a winner, even with the older barrel which was hit or miss. All these stories about different triggers, barrels, fore-end accuracy widgets, quarter ribs, offset scope rings. My life is too short for that drama anymore, but I do admire the people willing to struggle through. Best of luck

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10Glocks, 257 roberts, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 257Bob, 55 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,595
Posts18,511,270
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.