Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
What is everyone’s thoughts on 9mm revolvers?

Been thinking about a Ruger LCR and the 9mm version isn’t something I’ve thought about until recently and I want to explore this cartridge as an option. Below are some pros and cons I’ve put together. I’m sure there’s more I haven’t thought about.

Pros
- 9mm is ubiquitous and is easy to find
- 9mm can be inexpensive to shoot
- 9mm rounds can be shared with semi-auto pistols
- Droppjng moon clips with 9mm into a revolver can be pretty quick

Cons
- To facilitate loading and unloading moonclips should be carried
- If loaded into a cylinder without moonclips the apent cases can be more difficult to remove than rimmed cases
- 9mm revolvers weigh the same as 357 revolvers so they weigh more than their .38 counterparts
(at least with the LCR)
- Can’t share ammo with other revolvers that may be on hand (.357 mag/.38 spl)

Anyone have 9mm revolver? How do you like it? Any regrets?

Anyone considered a 9mm revolver but crossed it off their for one of the reasons above or a different reason?

Any other pros or cons that aren’t on the list above?

Last edited by Loper; 01/20/24.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This 3” S&W Model 940 seemed like such a grand idea when I was bidding on it. But, turned out its biggest plus was also a minus. Using the moon clips, it truly shines when the goal is to shoot 10, 15, or 20 from a 5-shooter in very short order (Jerry Miculek style). However, if only 2 or 3 are fired, and there’s a break before shooting is to resume again in earnest, live rounds must be ejected with the moon clip to make room for the reload, and those ejected live rounds are not useable again without a lot of tedious effort.

As long as its moon clip limitations are kept in mind, though, it sure handles beautifully:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Taurus makes a 380 revolver. Odd combination

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Exchipy
However, if only 2 or 3 are fired, and there’s a break before shooting is to resume again in earnest, live rounds must be ejected with the moon clip to make room for the reload, and those ejected live rounds are not useable again without a lot of tedious effort.

That is similar to the situation for people who carry .38 Special speedloaders, although they can fish the live rounds off the ground and use them later if they have time to do all that in the middle of a gunfight. I always carried my spare ammo in speed strips to avoid that issue when I carried a .38 Special J frame.

I really can't think of any real benefit to carrying a 9mm revolver.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's all been covered, especially by the OP--you have a good grasp on the variables driving your decision.

I owned the Smith 940 and didn't have a good experience with moon clips. Here's a link to a few comments: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-have-a-s-w-940-9mm-j-frame#Post12416674

Another thing to consider is that 9mm recoil in a revolver is probably more than you think it will be. It's enough to put a damper on the amount of practice you'll want to put in. Here's a link to another thread. There's a link to a Hikok45 video where he also comments on the amount of recoil in a 9mm revolver. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...in-9mm-your-thoughts-please#Post10261308

Anyway...good luck with your decision!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Local shop has an LCR 9mm used for $350. I thought about it for a minute and then bought a 3" lcrx 38 for the same $350.

The only appeal the 9mm had was being the same chamber as my main carry and having it on an ankle or something.

Bb

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Finest 9mm revolver I’ve every owned or seen was the rare model 547. S&W saw a chance to capitalize on NATO and big chunks of the European market. But after so much effort and costs the timing was all wrong. NATO and most of Europe was changing over to semi’s just like here. Almost overnight the S&W model,10 the most common PD revolver, was replaced. They built the model 547 on the old med K frame a frame design that not only easily handles 35-38K pounds pressure but is considered the most ‘ right size ‘ and ‘ feel ‘ frames of all. No need for me to get into history, the design details and the few model differences. These were not made to sell here in the US as what looked like a sure fire 9mm market was what S&W needed.

These revolvers are (1) rare and (2) pricey two factors that pushes these into more safes than the range. But I’ve had two and fixed one and these guns handle, holster and shoot as good as any. I’m not a 9mm fan but most of the practice ammo including +P doesn’t feel much different than a +P 38 spl. These guns just flat out shoot.

I’ve known several long time employees at S&W and the 547 project was reported to be the most expensive revolver they ever made. You have to understand the associated costs of selling, very extensive military testing, international licensing and contracts, etc. etc. But the cleverest and costliest was the extractor. It’s not your typical S&W extractor star with ratchets. The extractor rod houses six beryllium copper sprung fingers that are actuated in precision grooves in the rod. They are flat springs really with small fingers that travel up into the case head groove and engage the rim. Very slick. The other very noticeable feature is what looks like two firing pins. One is a frame housed firing pin machined in two diameters to limit travel the other pin is what some call an indexing pin but its funtiin is to keep cases from backing out. There are other features but I talk to much as it is. Mine guns were three inch heavy barreled round butt. Anyway no moon clips or such hassle so if you ever run across one and you can afford it you’re lucky

Rick

L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Exchipy
This 3” S&W Model 940 seemed like such a grand idea when I was bidding on it. But, turned out its biggest plus was also a minus. Using the moon clips, it truly shines when the goal is to shoot 10, 15, or 20 from a 5-shooter in very short order (Jerry Miculek style). However, if only 2 or 3 are fired, and there’s a break before shooting is to resume again in earnest, live rounds must be ejected with the moon clip to make room for the reload, and those ejected live rounds are not useable again without a lot of tedious effort.

As long as its moon clip limitations are kept in mind, though, it sure handles beautifully:

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn’t thought about topping off a cylinder until you just mentioned it. Yes, that would be frustrating.

L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Jericho
Taurus makes a 380 revolver. Odd combination

I never knew this existed until you mentioned it and I just looked it up. Seems interesting but I wonder why it isn’t lighter. At 16oz it’s not an anchor, but isn’t lighter than other .38’s. I would think that if going to a lighter recoiling round, they’d try to make the gun lighter. I wonder what recoil feels like with this gun.

IC B3

L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Waders
I think it's all been covered, especially by the OP--you have a good grasp on the variables driving your decision.

I owned the Smith 940 and didn't have a good experience with moon clips. Here's a link to a few comments: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-have-a-s-w-940-9mm-j-frame#Post12416674

Another thing to consider is that 9mm recoil in a revolver is probably more than you think it will be. It's enough to put a damper on the amount of practice you'll want to put in. Here's a link to another thread. There's a link to a Hikok45 video where he also comments on the amount of recoil in a 9mm revolver. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...in-9mm-your-thoughts-please#Post10261308

Anyway...good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the post Waders and providing links to the previous discussions and threads as I just read through them. I think your experience as well as what someone posted in one of the threads about not wanting to have to fool with additional items is swaying me away from the 9mm. I’m trying to keep or make things as simple as possible in various aspects of my life. Moonclips add just one more thing to keep track of. Hell, choosing a revolver over semi-auto is a simplistic choice as you don’t have to worry about safeties, chambering a round or deal with magazines.

L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Bb[/quote]
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Local shop has an LCR 9mm used for $350. I thought about it for a minute and then bought a 3" lcrx 38 for the same $350.

The only appeal the 9mm had was being the same chamber as my main carry and having it on an ankle or something.

Bb

I’d love to find a 3” LCRx for $350.

L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Finest 9mm revolver I’ve every owned or seen was the rare model 547. S&W saw a chance to capitalize on NATO and big chunks of the European market. But after so much effort and costs the timing was all wrong. NATO and most of Europe was changing over to semi’s just like here. Almost overnight the S&W model,10 the most common PD revolver, was replaced. They built the model 547 on the old med K frame a frame design that not only easily handles 35-38K pounds pressure but is considered the most ‘ right size ‘ and ‘ feel ‘ frames of all. No need for me to get into history, the design details and the few model differences. These were not made to sell here in the US as what looked like a sure fire 9mm market was what S&W needed.

These revolvers are (1) rare and (2) pricey two factors that pushes these into more safes than the range. But I’ve had two and fixed one and these guns handle, holster and shoot as good as any. I’m not a 9mm fan but most of the practice ammo including +P doesn’t feel much different than a +P 38 spl. These guns just flat out shoot.

I’ve known several long time employees at S&W and the 547 project was reported to be the most expensive revolver they ever made. You have to understand the associated costs of selling, very extensive military testing, international licensing and contracts, etc. etc. But the cleverest and costliest was the extractor. It’s not your typical S&W extractor star with ratchets. The extractor rod houses six beryllium copper sprung fingers that are actuated in precision grooves in the rod. They are flat springs really with small fingers that travel up into the case head groove and engage the rim. Very slick. The other very noticeable feature is what looks like two firing pins. One is a frame housed firing pin machined in two diameters to limit travel the other pin is what some call an indexing pin but its funtiin is to keep cases from backing out. There are other features but I talk to much as it is. Mine guns were three inch heavy barreled round butt. Anyway no moon clips or such hassle so if you ever run across one and you can afford it you’re lucky

Rick

Very interesting I’ll have to look more into the 547s. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with Woodpecker that the 547 is one fine revolver. Mine is a 3" found-butt. It is externally, nearly identical to my 3" Model 13.

The story I read in some long-forgotten magazine (Combat Handguns?) is that the French police wanted a 9mm without moon clips.
S&W made 3000 4" square-butt and 1000 3" round-butt.
The wily French canceled the order just before they were shipped and bought French-made revolvers with moon clips.

The last one I saw on GunBroker was in like-new condition with box, etc. and went for $1975.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Korth Mongoose with the 9mm cylinder. No moon clips. It functions as a normal revolver. Good trigger and quality.

The bonus is, that you also get to shoot .357 magnum with a simple cylinder change!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Maybe as a backup to a duty pistol but not as a stand-alone…at least as far as I’m concerned. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ruger makes a Blackhawk that can shoot either .357 Magnum/.38 Special or (with a cylinder change) 9mm. If you don't handload, I can see how being able to shoot 9mm would be a good way to save money on shooting, since it's generally readily available at a low price. Also adds versatility.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Loper
Originally Posted by Woodpecker

Rick

Very interesting I’ll have to look more into the 547s. Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps one of the most interesting revolvers I ever owned. Neater than hell, the extraction of empties was magnificent. The problem I had was they are fixed sights, regulated for 147 grain bullets and all I shoot are 115 grains. My gun shot too low to make it worthwhile if you want to aim the gun…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One consideration is the cost of practice ammo. Right now 1000 rounds of decent quality 9mm 115 gr. FMJ is about $245 per case. The same brand name ammo in .38 Special 125 gr. FMJ is $480.00. These prices are from Lucky Gunner for Magtech ammo. Much cheaper to practice with 9mm than with .38 Special.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.