Print Thread
Hop To
T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am asking this here, because I honestly have no idea which forum it would fit in.

Is it possible to import 8.5x63 Reb ammunition from European countries to myself or an FFL? If so, what is the process?

I discovered the 8.5 x 63 Reb (basically a 333-06 AI) about a year ago and it seems to be an absolutely excellent cartridge. It should be very easy to reload with excellent case life, make dies for (most makers don't want to make any precision or bushing dies over .338 diameter), it uses a standard long action and '06 bolt face, and be suitable for almost all game. It seems like a cartridge like this should be more popular, but then the 338 Federal, another excellent cartridge, isn't doing as well as it should be either.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If it’s that close to the 338-06 why get involved with importation of obsolete rounds when there’s no shortage of 30-06 brass? It’s obviously going to be a reloading proposition any way you slice it since you won’t be able to buy 8.5x63 Reb off the shelf of your LGS so why hamstring yourself with something that would be exceedingly tough to resell compared to the 338-06?

I know how us gun guys are so if you wanna do it just do it but it doesn’t make much sense to me. 😀. Ravensrock or whatever the new ammo sellers here would where I’d check first though.

Good luck and I hope you update us if you do it.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
If it’s that close to the 338-06 why get involved with importation of obsolete rounds when there’s no shortage of 30-06 brass? It’s obviously going to be a reloading proposition any way you slice it since you won’t be able to buy 8.5x63 Reb off the shelf of your LGS so why hamstring yourself with something that would be exceedingly tough to resell compared to the 338-06?

I know how us gun guys are so if you wanna do it just do it but it doesn’t make much sense to me. 😀. Ravensrock or whatever the new ammo sellers here would where I’d check first though.

Good luck and I hope you update us if you do it.

Thank you for the reply and I completely understand your point. I am able to get brass from Germany without any trouble aside from the wait due to customs. I was hoping to import some Brenneke ammunition in 190g and 225g to try their brass. I agree it would be much simpler to simply neck down 35 Whelen brass or neck up 30-06, but I really prefer having properly headstamped brass. Aside from 25 Creedmoor and 6.5x55, all of the cases I load for a -06 based. 25-06, 6.5-06, 280 AI, 30-06, 35 Whelen. I am careful when I reload, but I prefer to eliminate a potential problem. On the plus side, the 8.5x63 brass will not require fireforming for an AI shoulder because it already has a 40 degree shoulder.

I am definitely going to build. I know it is nonsensical, but I think the round "deserves" it. As with the 338-06, I am surprised that it isn't more popular. I am waiting for the dies to arrive before I send the brass off to have a reamer made by JGS.

Thank you for the lead with Ravensrock. I will see what I can find.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This thread is a perfect example of a rifle loony being a rifle loony....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
35 years ago, after carefully perusing and parsing every bit of info I could find, I came to the conclusion the 6.5-06 would be the perfect elk cartridge. High BC, high SD bullets, excellent velocity out of a 22” portable barrel, easy recoil.

I was getting things gathered up to build a rifle, almost ordered a new barrel…..

Then I remembered I already owned a couple 270 Winchesters.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Guilty as charged.

George Orwell
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Torque
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Guilty as charged.

Yep, same here. I own, or have owned, many different chamberings. Some were definitely ballistically similar, but I wanted and enjoyed them just as much. One that, I guess, would be similar to the desire for a 8.5X63 Reb was when I was lying awake in bed about 3AM, and thinking of the 7X57s and 8X57s I had in the safes. Suddenly had the inspiration to keep the progression going!

What comes next, you ask? Why, the 9X57 of course! Not finding an original I could afford, I just bought a .358 barrel and a chambering reamer and made my own using a nice Venezuelan Mauser and an old European styled walnut stock a friend gifted me with. A 358 Winchester would have filled that slot ballistically and been much easier to acquire, but it 'just didn't complete the progression'. Don't regret it for a second!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.