Print Thread
Hop To
T
tbjohn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
So anyone with any experiance here. Also thoughts on if this would ruin a nice flushing dog. Mine is only 15 months old and not all that much experiance yet even with upland birds. I woould love it to be that versatile.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
To each his own, but I don't see the point unless they chase them in full cry - and then I REALLY don't see the point. Funny picture, however.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing worse than having a bird dog chasing rabbits... IMO... Here rabbits are too easy to require a dog and certainly not worth the problems. Our rabbit season never closes and we have plenty of snowshoes...

Lad this fall shot 3 from one spot and another within a couple minutes and we cut him off. AKGrayling's first rabbit shooting was done from one spot and he shot 6. He was 5. Dogs need not apply.

All that said, beagles pushing bunnies at full cry is a kick!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe you don't have to do anything. The couple of bunnies my Lab has pushed out while hunting pheasants have only warranted interest if I shot them. No way will he fetch them. He just goes back to looking for birds.

No idea what he would do if bunnies were all that was on the agenda.

T
tbjohn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Well, the bird season is over in Maine and the rabbits are good to go for till the end of March. Just nice to get out with the gun and dog. I didn't realy think she would intentionally flush a rabblt but figured just being there running around might kick one out. The other side of me does not want her to get to looking for the bunnies as a habbit. I will probably take her and just see what happens.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It is actually preferred to discourage a bird dog from chasing rabbits. Just call out "rabbit" and call the dog back in. (You should actually call out "Rooster" and "Hen" if pheasant hunting). They will get the idea that is what not to chase. Even if you rabbit hunt with the dog, do not let them pursue or retreive the rabbit. It is easier to find rabbits without help than birds...

NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My lab took to chasing rabbits, but luckily, she was fairly easy to break of the habit. A bird dog chasing rabbits is a mess. In Wyoming, we dont have alot of birds, and in my area, they are often released, which means there isnt a lot of scent around. Much more rabbit scent. The dog will spend all day scenting out rabbits in the brush if you let them. My experience says a bird dog should be taught to ignore rabbits, and let them be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In England, spaniels are routinely trained on rabbits as well as birds. Rabbit pens.

Flush a pheasant, dog goes to hup. Flush a rabbit, dog goes to hup. Same/same.

Chasing rabbits is no good, but a Springer that will stay in range and hup to flush makes for some enjoyable bunny hunting.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a link:

http://www.spanielsinthefield.com/spaniel-training10.asp

I literally own some of that blood. grin

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
From everything I've ever heard, allowing a bird dog to chase rabbits is a "no-no" in the USA.

I always kept TWO (2) dogs... a bird dog... and one for "company" for the bird dog. I suppose you could keep a beagle for rabbits and a bird dog for birds.

They'd keep each other "company" in the kennel. Just make sure one is male and the other is female... then, they'll get along without fighting and be great "company" for one another when not hunting.

I found I enjoyed watching the bird dogs work more than I enjoyed the shooting. I am sure it would be the same with a rabbit dog... the fun would be in witnessing the dog's actions rather than shooting the rabbit(s).

The only problem you may run into was what happened to my last bird dog and his "company" dog. "Fred" was a Brittany and an excellent bird dog. "Corky" was a female mutt... but "Fred" loved her and she loved him.

At age 17, ol' Fred got really sick and stopped eating... and I had to put him "down". Corky was 15 and in excellent health, but when Fred was put down, she died of a broken heart a short time later.

But giving your bird dog "company" in the form of another (opposite sex, neutered or spaded) dog makes a world of difference and happiness to your bird dog(s).

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B3

T
tbjohn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Ron, that is a good idea. I might even consider it. I am sure my Lab would love the company. I agree that after all I read using a bird dog for rabbits just does work that well. Maybe the other dog should be a pointer - then I would have the best of both worlds.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (35, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 38HBWC, 9 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,022
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.