Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Range Directors - They Can Be "Unusual"
Copyright 2024 - Stephen Redgwell

NOTE: Not all range directors are a bust. Just some.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is my range. In the winter, it's a deserted, snow filled, winter wonderland! Except when the wind is blowing hard or there's a blizzard raging, it's a great place to be. It is private, so it's not particularly busy and the winter weather makes a great deterrent. It's also rare to see a director around, except weekends.

The line gate is on the right, along with the chime and a flashing light

We have a nice, heated lounge, washrooms, an indoor handgun range, a snack bar and big windows so we can watch the skeet shooters. They still venture out here in the cold weather, but there are fewer this time of year.

In the winter, only the lounge is crowded. People go to socialize, talk about hunting and complain about the weather. At our range, it's rare to hear complaints about the government. It's like preaching to the choir. In fact, the only time you hear about Ottawa and the silliness there is when something truly outrageous happens. Nothing that's been in the news lately qualifies. For that reason, few people talk about Liberals, the RCMP or anything else. As the old expression goes, "When you make something idiot proof, they invent a better idiot." Our membership knows we have plenty of those people scattered around the country.

Club Politics

In years past, I used to be more involved in the politics of the clubs of which I have been a member. These days, I leave that to others. When I am approached for my opinion of something, I deliver it and let them argue with the rest of the board.

Our club has seen a lot of changes over the years. Some of it was over regulation by the various boards. Over regulation means doing more than the law demands. For example, we have a wooden wall built forward of the line to keep stray bullets from launching over the back stops. A year after it was erected, they added a gate at the firing line with a flashing light and a chime. Both were triggered when the gate going down range was opened. I understood the purpose of the gate, but an audible alarm and flashing light?

I got glared at by one the directors who told me that if we didn't police ourselves, the feds would. Ah. So I asked if the flashing light and chime were required. The chime is for everyone, he explained. For those hard of hearing, the flashing light will get their attention. So I asked what the purpose was for the red and green flags. If we have a flashing light and a chime, do we need the flags? (and before you comment, I know the flags are a requirement) And what about the range officer? Again, silence and an icy stare. Oddly, the chime has either been disabled or has broken and has not been repaired. smile

The Cedar Wall

The cedar wall is a story in itself. It was erected after I (and presumably others) talked to the range director about the original proposal. They wanted to install Plexiglas across the front of all the shooting benches. There would be just enough room to slide a rifle muzzle underneath. The Plexiglas would be affixed to the top of the frame immediately above the end of the bench. It would continue down to approximately 12 inches off the benches. In effect, creating a giant sound chamber. Discharge a firearm and the sound would be amplified to punishing or hazardous levels.

I explained that another club of which I was a member purchased several dozen, expensive, roll up garage doors. They were installed in front of every shooting lane. One garage door was used for every two benches. I cannot remember how much money was spent on that project.

Members were only allowed to open the garage door that was directly in front of the bench they were using. La merde aux yeux! What used to be an open to the air, naturally lit line became a dark, dingy sound chamber! Yes, you read that right! And the board had to buy and install fluorescent lighting too!

By comparison, a cedar wall at this club was the best we could hope for. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Having my own range is one of the most important perks of living where I do. GD

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by greydog
Having my own range is one of the most important perks of living where I do. GD

I can shoot out the back of my place, and do from time to time, but I like to take my laptop with me and make a day of it. When it's raining or cold, I leave my laptop set up and plugged in where it's warm. smile I guess it is from my service days, but I spend most of the day there and take lunch, beverages and anything else I figure I'll need.

This is part of the inside. The door is the entrance to the indoor handgun range. The kitchen is out of the picture on the left. You can see part of the counter. Handy!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,445
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.