Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I was at my local LGS the other day talking with the owner that I have known for many years.

He is/was a Camp Perry shooter, competition shooter, 1911 aficionado and smith, obviously well experienced, etc.

Just for the hell of it I asked him "how many magazines do you need for your auto pistol"? He surprised me by saying "just one" then he qualified by saying "and one spare"

Now me, I have as little as two and as many as 20 for various autos.

How many do you think you need and why?

MAGA!

"an armed society is a polite society"
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
More the merrier. If you have a pistol to look at or just a security blanket only a couple but if you like to shoot not sure you can have to many. Reload your mags in downtime not when you want or need to be shooting. Way I see it mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
All of them. All of the mags.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For work? One in the gun and three reloads. For conceal carry? I usually don't carry an extra mag, but I would carry one spare (glock 19).

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/24/24.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a half dozen 45 mags, bunch of AR mags. I don’t really have a good reason.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always looked at mags as being somewhat disposable and maybe even legislated out of existence.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a bunch of them for each auto.

Usually only carry one spare though.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whenever I buy a firearm requiring a mag, the first thing I do is order at least one other mag for it. I figure I may lose one out in the woods. I also figure it is better to buy them now before they go out of production and become rare and expensive. With DM rifles, I usually carry the the spare mag loaded in my pocket.

With semi-auto pistols, I usually buy 2 or 3 mags. If there is an extended version, I'll buy a couple more of those. I'll also buy a speed loader thingy.

With semi-auto rifles, the sky is the limit. I don't know how many AR15 mags I own. Some day they may be worth something.

The one exception to all this is a Mossberg bolt action 20 GA I bought as a Yute gun for #3 son, Angus. It is now doing duty with #1 Granddaughter, the Mooselette. In this case, I bought it off Gunbroker on a deal, missing the mag, and then called Numrich and got the last mag they had for it. The mag cost more than the shotgun. If it ever gets lost, I might toss the gun before buying another. BTW: If you call Numrich for such a mag and they're out, they'll take your name and number. When enough orders come in, they'll fabricate new ones.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For just "having" - lots. At least a dozen because they're cheap enough to add to the cart when ordering stuff to get up to "free shipping" or whatever.

If I was donning a plate carrier/chest rig - I'd probably go with the gun and 2 spares because if I'm down to that I'm f-d anyway. Rest are in reserve - mostly because I may not come back with everything I leave with.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
for the long guns, I have multiple - actually couldn't tell you how many but its definitely more than 2

but for whatever reason, on the pistols, I always buy a spare and that's it.

Trying to track down a WWII era spare now for a Spanish made paramount.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6 for pistol
8 for rifle

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The need for extra mags is inversely proportional to one’s shooting skill and judgement.

One of my flight school buddies got shot down in ‘Nam and was ejected from the chopper on impact. When he regained consciousness he heard some NVA laughing and felt their bayonets poking him in the butt. His right hand was on the grip of his S&W .38 and he decided he would prefer death to imprisonment. He rolled over and administered death to his three tormentors with three shots. The most difficult aspect of his recovery was getting over the hangover he had the next morning.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
magazines? Buy many, stack 'em deep

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
For just "having" - lots. At least a dozen because they're cheap enough to add to the cart when ordering stuff to get up to "free shipping" or whatever.

I like your line of thinking here. Sometimes you essentially get the mags for free.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Teal

I like your line of thinking here. Sometimes you essentially get the mags for free.

It's like grabbing that extra brick of 22lr when you're at Cabela's. Never know, may as well get it and they're not expensive. Next thing you know - you're armpits deep in mags/ammo and "shortages" are for "other people".

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have no idea how many mags I have...

...but I need them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
For the centerfires one extra, rimfires 4-6.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
I was at my local LGS the other day talking with the owner that I have known for many years.

He is/was a Camp Perry shooter, competition shooter, 1911 aficionado and smith, obviously well experienced, etc.

Just for the hell of it I asked him "how many magazines do you need for your auto pistol"? He surprised me by saying "just one" then he qualified by saying "and one spare"

Now me, I have as little as two and as many as 20 for various autos.

How many do you think you need and why?

MAGA!
however many I want. He is dumb, but thats not my problem.

FWIW we carry no less than 5 30s plus a 20 in the AR in the vehicles. And if carrying full size handgun Glock its gun plus 2 mags. Sneaky tiny guns are carried for a reason and only a couple mags but they are to allow one to get back to a fighting gun IE get out of the area. Or carry at least 2 handguns as needed.

When we buy extra AR mags its 10 at a time. Extra handgun at least 5. Only own one bolt gun with a mag and that was because it was free...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I need one per weapon, cause single loading is a pita. What I have is one drawer of them that I randomly add to for no reason.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
For work? One in the gun and three reloads. For conceal carry? I usually don't carry an extra mag, but I would carry one spare (glock 19).

You ever hit anything you shoot at or just spray n pray like the rest of your brethren?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 160user, 204guy, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 11,352 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,241
Posts18,544,285
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.