Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'm still bothered finding out about the Amish a few weeks back on here
What was that? Must have missed it. Can you tell me about when it was or post a link?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Hastings
As Gandhi said "it is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom".
Your insinuation appears to be that the quote by Gandhi applies to the great many folks who read these threads and clearly disagree with you on these matters. Have you considered the likelihood that the quote by Gandhi applies to you…?
Yes

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Some people are truly gullible. The assistant manager of our accounting department, who had 20 years of service, came in one day and asked to borrow $80,000 from the company. He belonged to some wackdoodle religious cult and they told him to sign over the title to his house to them and he could still live there. As soon as they had the title they kicked him out. Just the type of guy you want handling a lot of your company's cash. We fired him that day.
Sounds like a great place to work

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Reverend Creflo Crypto?

LOL.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cuznguido
What was that? Must have missed it. Can you tell me about when it was or post a link?

talking about visiting Amish country and all the Amish food, crafts, etc. People had stories about Amish buying stuff in bulk and slapping "Amish made" labels on it - things like that.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

talking about visiting Amish country and all the Amish food, crafts, etc. People had stories about Amish buying stuff in bulk and slapping "Amish made" labels on it - things like that.

Waydda minute…

The Amish belts aren’t really Amish made????

🤬🤬

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Waydda minute…

🤬🤬

you're going to turn this into a 12 page thread now

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
And people wonder why I think religion is a scam.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Someone does something that's exactly the opposite of what their religion teaches and the religion is the problem?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Waydda minute…
🤬🤬
They are sort of Amish made. Like those Italian companies that got in trouble for importing Chinese stuff and putting a 'made in Italy' sticker on their handbags and such. They solved that by letting thousands of Chinese move to Italy and take over a town to make their stuff which is now 'made in Italy'.

Problem is the Italian-Chinese wised up and cut out the Italian middleman. A further problem was when the Chinese went home for the holidays and made Italy the European epicenter for Covid-19.

Amish don't have that problem. "Amish Made" has to at least go through an in costume Amish middleman or middlewoman.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jimmy Swaggart is constantly telling of his conversations with God.

Swaggart is Jerry Lee Lewis’ cousin and they are apples that didn’t fall far from the same tree.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Swaggart is Jerry Lee Lewis’ cousin and they are apples that didn’t fall far from the same tree.

Maybe Jimmy Swaggart is telling "his people" that. However, I dont pay enough attention to any of those to know.. I'm almost 61 yrs. old.. Been going to church all my life . The last 20 yrs. I asked God , that if I don't understand something , to give me the wisdom to understand the bible... If he doesn't give me wisdom to understand , then how can that be my fault? Therefore I read the bible and listen to no man. I still teach Sunday School for 4 to 10 yr olds at church, listen to worship , but rarely listen to the message. " I watch my own bobber."

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
A fool and his money are soon parted.

I would have walked away when he first said "God told me..."

That's your first clue.

Seems to be a common affliction among grifters. Nothing is more powerful than God, especially if you're bilking the weak - just ask any church.
Fixed it for you.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
Maybe Jimmy Swaggart is telling "his people" that. However, I dont pay enough attention to any of those to know.. I'm almost 61 yrs. old.. Been going to church all my life . The last 20 yrs. I asked God , that if I don't understand something , to give me the wisdom to understand the bible... If he doesn't give me wisdom to understand , then how can that be my fault? Therefore I read the bible and listen to no man. I still teach Sunday School for 4 to 10 yr olds at church, listen to worship , but rarely listen to the message. " I watch my own bobber."

So, this is what that sounds like to me. “I don’t listen to other people’s message. I read the Bible and figure it out for myself. Then I go give my message (in the Sunday School run by people you don’t listen to?) to a bunch of impressionable 4-10 year olds.” It would seem more consistent to me for you to teach the kids to read and then give them a Bible, unless you are insinuating that your version of the message is the correct one. If that is what you believe, you are competing with everyone else who has their personal interpretation of the Bible, which includes organized religions, Swaggart, and the guy who misheard the message about the crypto thing.

I’m not saying that you are not well-intentioned, but that’s just weird. It also is part of the reason why I think the real truth is really unknowable as long as ancient texts and mere mortals are involved.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What should be the filter through which Jesus’ followers view everything...? What should be the filter through which Jesus’ followers make all of their decisions...?
O
The entirety of what we refer to as the Old Testament ultimately hangs on loving God and loving others. Period. Jesus clearly said so Himself.

And there is nothing complicated about following Jesus’ New Covenant commands. His entire ministry on earth can also be summed up in loving God and loving others…but not ‘just’ loving others as ourselves...He added a caveat, Jesus’ followers are to love others as He loved all of us...!

The only thing that matters is faith expressing itself through love. If you lack discernment in a matter, what does love for God and love for others require of you regarding this matter…? The answer to that question will likely provide you with direction and discernment. Love God. Love others. The rest is just details. It is a simple ethic. But hard to do.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Someone does something that's exactly the opposite of what their religion teaches and the religion is the problem?

Show me a church that doesn't revolve around money, specifically collecting money from its members.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Plenty of good churches that don’t even pass the plate.

Plenty of bad churches though too. Fairly easy to spot in my opinion.

-If they constantly talk about tithing and the blessing you will receive from tithing

-If they constantly talk about how God told them things with wild and unverifiable stories

-If they claim to have special knowledge of things and everyone else is wrong. In general if they claim everyone else is wrong and they are right.

-when they do not have a large leadership structure or the leadership structure is just one or two families

You better run.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stickfight

at least Jerry Lee was honest about him self ,and the things he did .his cousin Jimmy not so much

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It takes money to fund a ministry. Even Jesus had people who funded His ministry when He was here on earth. That said, there’s a BIG difference between funding a ministry and being a greedy shyster charlatan like a lotta these Kenneth Copeland and Joel Osteen and Benny Hinn types appear to be.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,806
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.