-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a chance to buy 1 in 30/06 or .300 win mag and both have the Boat paddle stocks.I would be adding Limbsaver recoil pads.

What one would you recommend and what would about max yards for shooting and accuracy for hunting and punching paper? I won't be taking any stupid long shots hunting, but will on paper for fun.

Suggestions on a scope for them?

Last edited by huntersdog; 01/25/24.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine have always been accurate. Not Benchrest but plenty accurate for hunting.

Given the choice between the 2 and assuming they stay "as issued" - I'd probably be 30-06 as I find little reason to go 300WM above it. If you need more than the 06, get more - the 300 ain't it.

As to how far accuracy will hold - each rifle is its own animal but you'll likely be okay to your level of shooting.

Scope wise - pick your poison. basic 3-9 works from any number of makers.

Me

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd buy the 30-06 over the 300wm, all day long and twice on Sunday.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal

Given the choice between the 2 and assuming they stay "as issued" - I'd probably be 30-06 as I find little reason to go 300WM above it. If you need more than the 06, get more - the 300 ain't it.

As to how far accuracy will hold - each rifle is its own animal but you'll likely be okay to your level of shooting.

It will be primarily used for big game hunting in the lower 48 and may Caribou hunting up in Alaska and most of my shots are going to be maxed out at 500 yards across corn fields and bean fields. But punch in paper I'd like to see how far I could get out accurately. That was my reason for asking for a decent scope to put on there.

I have buddies in Alaska who have taken piles of big game with .243, .223, 762x39 but it fairly close to moderate ranges.

Last edited by huntersdog; 01/25/24.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
30-06 and then you can skip adding a pad.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Have heard good stuff about the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36. Should pair excellently with the Ruger MKII 30-06.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've had excellent success with Mark II Rugers....
My 7mm mag with a Tract Toric 30MM is my trusted open field gun. Shoots very reliably out to 600 yds.
My 25-06 is a very reliable woodchuck rifle out to 500 yds.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntersdog
Originally Posted by Teal

It will be primarily used for big game hunting in the lower 48 and may Caribou hunting up in Alaska and most of my shots are going to be maxed out at 500 yards across corn fields and bean fields. But punch in paper I'd like to see how far I could get out accurately. That was my reason for asking for a decent scope to put on there.

I have buddies in Alaska who have taken piles of big game with .243, .223, 762x39 but it fairly close to moderate ranges.

The first thing you need to worry about is how accurate/precise the rifle is, and how accurate/precise you can make said rifle. That's going to start with proper glass bedding, and some trigger work. The factory Ruger m77 mkII triggers are horrible. They can be fine tuned pretty easily though, but with some skill and knowhow.

To me, it sounds like you are wanting some suggestions for a scope that is going to work close in, and way out there. For both hunting and paper punching. It also sounds like you may not want to accept a lower dollar scope that would work out perfectly for your rifle. Assuming you buy one.

So, as it sits, you are trying to decide on which rifle to get. I've had them both:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So, when I say I'd take the 30-06 any day of the week and twice on Sunday, I am not lying. In that configuration, they recoil plenty. The hard goodyear rubber pad does not reduce recoil by any means that I ever noticed. A limbsaver is going to be your friend there.

So for the scope, even though you ask for suggestions on a "decent" scope: I will suggest a simple, yet rugged and reliable Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Without that reticle, you are going to be limited to your shots. That is where that scope really shines. Like it or not. Or step up to a 4.5-14x42:
30-06^^

I also run a Burris 4.5-14x42 on my Ruger m77 MK2 300 RSAUM, and it works out quite nicely. No need for a high dollar scope on that rifle:

Sorry, no 500 yard target, but as scoped this Ruger shoots just fine past that distance. The closest thing I can share is a 400 yard target:

To be honest, I prefer that rifle over my 300wm Ruger m77. Trigger adjusting down to a very nice 2.5 pounds and properly glass bedded, they shoot well. No guarantees on the OP's rifles in question though.. The Ruger 77 mkII are ones that need to be worked on to shoot to their full potential.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Either one...

but you can hand load a 300 Win Mag, to 30/06 standards EASIER than loading a 30/06 to 300 Win Mag standards...

either one of them you can load them down to 308, 300 Savage or 30/30 speeds...

anyone of those downloaded, will be a lot less recoiling, which will make that easier to handle...

on the other end, those Zytel stocks are big sellers to those looking for them...

buy the rifle of your choice, and then sell the Zytel stock...and put a laminate, composite or any other style stock you may want... people are paying $400 to $600 for some of those Zytel stocks... that might make which ever rifle you pick, basically free...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I will add to Seafire's...those Zytel stocks are known as "brutal kickers". It can discourage you and make you develop bad shooting habits, i.e. flinching. Sell that puppy!

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
The Limbsaver recoil pads available for these Ruger “boat paddle” stocked rifles make a huge difference. The newest version, Airtech #10803, is softer than the earlier version and they are both big improvements over the original factory pad. Same #10803 also fits the Tikka T3 series rifles.
On the Rugers, you’ll need to call Limbsaver (Sims Vibration Laboratory 360-427-6031) and ask for their free adapter plate that’s needed on the Rugers. I’ve got these Rugers in 22-250 and 280 Rem. Very simple and fast installation of the Limbsaver pad. They look good, fit good and work great.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have experience with four boatpaddle Rugers...a .22/250, a 260 Remington, a 270 Winchester, and a 280 Remington. The .22/250 I haven't shot in years (my brother borrowed it) - it came with a Nikon 4x12 - I think, if he hasn't changed that out. The 260 wears a Leupold VX3 2.5x8. The 280 Wears a Leupold 3.5x10. The .270 i bought for my sister so she would stop borrowing my other rugers. I put an old Leupold 6x on it. Of all the optics, I think I "like" the 3.5x10 the best. Seems to fit the rifle well, is solid and dependable. If I were shooting all these rifles regularly, they'd probably all have that scope. All four rifles shoot well enough for their intended purposes. The 260 was the most troublesome, having the worst trigger of the bunch- gritty as hell (Timney fixed that!). It was also the least accurate of the bunch - took a while to find a load that would consistently group under 1 1/2 inches . The other rifles triggers were fine. The .270 shoots Federal blue box 130grs quite well. The .280 seems to like the 120gr BT. I have no issues with the stock recoil pads, unlike seemingly everyone else here on the 'fire. Were it my choice, I'd pick the 06 - I'm sure it'll do well....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I will add to Seafire's...those Zytel stocks are known as "brutal kickers". It can discourage you and make you develop bad shooting habits, i.e. flinching. Sell that puppy!

I've had a number of them...

but I will specific for clarity.

minus a 223 and a 22.250. the others I've used were with a 243 and a 260 Remington... those I don't very much run then at full potential. When I did on the 260, they were shooting a 100 grainer, at 3350 fps MV.

I have had them in 30/06, 300 Win and 338 Win... those stocks were taken off and replaced with a Boyd's Steel Gray Laminate Stock, before I ever pulled the trigger on any one of the three...

Those rifles were eventually traded off, two of which were a pair of Ruger 77 Mk 2 in 7 x 57, and one in 6.5 x 55.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 30 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.