Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
All,

I am in a mental battle with myself on this one.

I have a Ruger M77 Tang Safety Red Pad 22" sporter in 243WIN I initially picked up for my daughters first hunting rifle. The trouble is, as it sits its in 95%+ condition, nice deep bluing, great shiny bore, a few small impressions in the walnut stock.

While this is a beautiful rifle for her to have and use for many years to come, here is my dilema with it. I need to shorten the LOP for her to use currently and then retain a full size stock as she grows. Ideally I would like to pick up another stock to cut down but they are not very common anymore for the original M77's and I do not want to cut down the original nor ruin/detract anything from it by "making it work" for her.

My gut is telling me to either sell outright or trade it towards a Rem 700 or Model 7 in 243/6mm preferably, or another youth friendly caliber. Not only for more stock availability but also better aftermarket support in basically every category. The other side of me says to keep it because of the condition it is in but I already have three Rem 700 6mms between the wife and I and I want the little one to have "her own"

What does the fire say?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think you can find another stock to put on it for her. That's a pretty nice rifle.

Were the 243's a short action? Just wondering as I have a wood stock I took off my M77 Tanger 35 Whelen that'll never go back on the rifle. It's in good shape, but I put a fiberglass stock on it.

Matter of fact, contact Kevin Weaver, as he gets alot of flattop Bansners and will fit a stock to your rifle at whatever LOP you want, so you can keep the original stock until she grows into it. If it were me, I'd cut it minimally for a 1/4-3/8" recoil pad and as she grows, you can add a thicker pad and also a plastic spacer to gain some length.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/24/24.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
you can get an Adjustable LOP stock from Boyd's for her to use during her growing years.
They start around $250.00
Then put the original back on if needed and sell the Boyd's

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those stocks regularly show up on eBay, but a Boyds stock would probably be less expensive.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I vote for the Boyd's and save the original stock. A little extra weight from the laminate is not a bad thing in a youth rifle (should help with both recoil and "shootability") and you may even be able to order it in some unique color that she will appreciate.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I appreciate all the suggestions guys!

I have looked at the Boyd’s and maybe that is the best route to go with it. I will have to see if they can do a shorter LOP on one though, otherwise I’m in the same spot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For the price of a Boyds basic you could just cut it yourself, fit a pad, and still come out OK? Then she has a rifle to grow with and keep forever. No one hands down 700 youth models with the plastic stock as a family heirloom...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I would never sell that rifle and buy a 700 or 7. Never. Find a nice wood stock that you can cut down and save the original stock for when she grows into it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Send a PM to 160user. Very good chance he has multiple options to help you out.

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Just buy a Ruger American in 243 to use until she gets older. It has an adjustment for length of pull.

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake

Ive been in contact with him already, he has one but the barrel channel appears to be a little larger than the standard sporter barrel. I think a basic Boyds is the best route and will just shorten it for now for her.

It is a very nice rifle I agree, my mind was just getting the better of me with the sell/trade route.

Thanks for helping keep me in line guys!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the Boyds in pink & grey laminate, pay for the optional LOP, your daughter will love it!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LundyLundy
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake

Ive been in contact with him already, he has one but the barrel channel appears to be a little larger than the standard sporter barrel. I think a basic Boyds is the best route and will just shorten it for now for her.

It is a very nice rifle I agree, my mind was just getting the better of me with the sell/trade route.

Thanks for helping keep me in line guys!
That larger barrel channel wouldn't deter me at all.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sell it

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Don’t sell. Used stock and cut as recommended above.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger made a compact .243 in the American. I have a .223 and a 7mm08 in the compact. It has a 12.5" length of pull. I would bet with a bit of looking you can find one. Our local Fleet and Farm has one on the shelf.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kwg020
Ruger made a compact .243 in the American. I have a .223 and a 7mm08 in the compact. It has a 12.5" length of pull. I would bet with a bit of looking you can find one. Our local Fleet and Farm has one on the shelf.

kwg

Wife has the compact model in 7-08. After her first session at the range, she smiled at me and said, "This is MY rifle!"

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would get a Boyds, set it up for her along with hundreds of rounds of ammo for her to shoot! Girls are "almost always" Teachable and end up being great shots. This summer, take her on a prairie dog shoot, take plenty of ice water/cold soda pop, maybe a portable BenchRest. She will learn how to be a good "Game Shot". There he is, get into a good position, squeeze the trigger all the while "taking your time in a hurry" ha. Its worth making the memories. If prairie dogs are too far from home, get a fighting Crow /Owl , Varmint calling Set up for coyotes, anything to add to target shooting. If you don't Handload, now is the time to start! Have a Ball!
My Twin Daughters have never allowed me to take any of my Grand Kids out shooting/plinking with the .22, etc For sure not Big Game Hunting...they became "Woke" long ago. One of them had me come get the few special rifles/pistols I had set up for my Grandson and Grand daughter. Yeah, I'm saying this, "enjoy your time with the wife and daughter", you are a Blessed Man! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/27/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great advice Jim!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

Wife has the compact model in 7-08. After her first session at the range, she smiled at me and said, "This is MY rifle!"
These are super handy but louder than hell... I'm sure you've got her set up with ear pro... but if not, arguably as important as the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 23 invisible), 1,700 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,122
Posts18,483,677
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.