-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I bought these here the other day. I received them yesterday, I feel they were strongly miss-represented and I wanted to send them back, I even offered to pay the shipping both ways. That really offended the seller, and in turn that really offended me. In full disclosure, the seller did say he would give me a refund for them. I think its best I represent them correctly, try to find buyer and maybe not have to loose the money on shipping.

I should have asked way more questions. I own that.

Link to original sale post.

These are CVA kit Hawken pistols. .50 cal. One is brown with oil finish, the other is blue with gloss finish. Both look okay far away.

Both have rust in the crevices and both bores are rusty inside the bore. I don't think they are really pitted but getting good light on the inside of the bore it is very possible they are pitted. An oiled patch doesn't reveal a very rough bore. The browned barrel has the most rust. I cant feel any pitting but cannot say there isn't any.

The ramrod thimble is stripped out on the gloss one. The thimble will need re-drilled and tapped to the size of the screw in the under rib. It is a very small screw and i don't know how to find out what size it is. I'm sure some time and research, and with the proper tools you can get it fixed right up.

The brass on both guns has quite a bit of green oxidation. Will take quite a bit of work. These guns are very roughly put together with little time spent on fit and finish.

I have $321.50 in them and thats what I'd like to get back out of them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

More pics to come.

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 08/27/22.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A few more pics.

Thanks for looking,

Todd

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Also, after pulling the nipples to inspect the flash holes, the blue/gloss gun looks okay. The oiled/brown gun has a significant amount of rust in the flash hole area.

Todd

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
0000 steel wool and wd40 will take off surface rust without damaging the bluing if you are careful. The bores, if just surface rust, can be easily cleaned as well. Even with some pitting, they are probably still accurate guns. Unless you are just soured from the whole experience, and want them gone, they may be worth some cleaning time.

If you don’t have any luck selling them here, try the muzzleloading forum, with your honest description, and the right target audience, they will sell.

Last edited by Rawhide67; 08/27/22.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep. I’m on muzzleloading forum as well. These guns are re-habable if the owner wants to spend the time required. I never would have purchased these in this condition. I was going off the “Both guns are very well put together” description. I took the seller at his word and strongly feel these were not at all represented correctly. I just want to see if anyone else on this forum thinks they are worth $321.50 in this condition..

Todd

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I love in the original listing the seller said they were new and well put together. Its crazy what soom people will do to rob a few dollars off another. I sure hope he gives you a partial refund.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It’s safe to say the seller and I are done with each other. I wouldn’t accept a double refund from him. All I got from him was he was an absolute muzzleloader expert and I have no clue what I’m talking about. After that he did say to send them back for a refund. I honestly don’t quite trust the return transaction would go any smoother. He can keep his $300 and go his own way.

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 08/27/22.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bump.

Todd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Free bump and two thumbs up for the way you are handling the bogus [bleep] deal you got.
New unfired, what a joke. He should be ashamed of himself.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, he’s not. And somehow me being upset about the condition of these means I don’t know anything about muzzleloaders…

Todd

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
To put it simply, the original ad is a bold misrepresentation of the true condition of the pistols. How he could possibly feel the pistols were as described is unbelievable in my opinion. You do not have to know a thing about muzzle loaders to know and see they are dogs.

This could be a lesson learned for all to request close-up pictures if there is any doubt....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If no one wants them, you can probably get good use out of them yourself despite the wrinkles. Bronze wool and Ballistol will clean them up and you can aways re-brown or blue them if you want them to look better. That doesn’t let the seller off the hook at all, just lets you “make lemonade”.

That nipple seat especially needs attention and watching. I’d consider running a tap into it to help clean it up. A nipple sticking in your forehead would be unpleasant.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes sir, I know they aren’t going to sell as is. They both can be made into serviceable guns. It’s going to take a lot of work. I have them soaking in oil now.

If someone wants them for what I have into them, they are welcome to them. I know a thing or two about fit and finish and think these guns have a lot of hours of work a piece to get them to the “very well put together” stage. I knew they were kit guns even though it wasn’t disclosed. I was prepared to put a little work into them. I honestly can deal with all of it but the rust. That is the biggest turn off for me when it comes to firearms there is. These are more work than a new kit gun as I’ll have hours into undoing the crappy work.

They are not worth $321.50. Everyone knows that including the seller. He is very offended that I said they were miss represented. I got his full resume of what a legendary muzzleloader aficionado he is and he actually used the term “pristine” to me when describing how these bores were. Of course they were just fine when they left his possession.

Todd

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ll give this one more trip through to see if anyone wants to take in the project.

Price lowered to $321.49

Thanks.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Met a guy once to buy a muzzleloader drove a hour for the meet, he told me bore was pristine when I asked about it.. when I looked at gun could immediately see fuzzy hair like rust in bore, when questioned he got pissed and said thats normal for used muzzleloaders. I told him I had about 30 used ones at the house I would show him that its not typical and told him thanks for wasting my time plus something about kissing something.
Some people are just idiots and there's nothing you can do but move on. Hope you get your money back or at least dont take much of a loss.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've settled into the fact that I'm just going to do the work on them. My 'problem' is I'm a custom knife and leather maker in my free time. I believe I have the skills and tools to make these pistols great. What I don't have is the time. The time I spend on these to get them up to snuff is time not spent making knives. I'll probably just invest the bare amount of time to get them cleaned up and rust free and fix the thimble to get them serviceable. I obviously wanted the pistols to use or I wouldn't have purchased them in the first place.

I wanted the seller to hop on here and half way defend his original sell post but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen. There is no way he can. I wish him good luck and hope he finds what happiness he needs to represent his future items with truth. Just like I told him in my message when I first mentioned I wanted to send them back.... I can deal with all the other problems these guns have but I can't deal with the rust in the bores. It still gives me heartburn he sent me these neglected "new, unfired and very well put together" guns.

This thread is on record now and not going away. If I see the seller try to sell anything else here, you can bet I'm going to be referencing this post. When I offered to send them back and even pay shipping both directions an "Okay." would have saved him his potential reputation here. Instead I got a "what a bada** I am" resume' and told I didn't know what I was talking about before I got the "send them back then!!!!"...

Anyhow, nobody is going to pay $321.49 for these in this condition and in fact, I'd feel like crap selling these at this price. But at least the potential buyer would have full knowledge of the project they were receiving.

I appreciate all of your input and suggestions. I appreciate your time.

Good luck,

Todd

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am never going to find the time to do these guns up right.

I have cleaned them both very well and feel confident the rust is no longer an issue. There is no pitting inside the bore, but they are still a huge project. They absolutely can be made into serviceable guns if you have the time.

Again, after a lot of labor, I feel I have the rust issue contained on both pistols but all other issues are still present.

I'm giving them another chance to sell with honest representation and will eat the shipping.

How about $300 shipped for both pistols.

Thanks,

Todd

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
These are still sitting on my shelf, oiled up. They are still a huge project I haven't gotten to. Still for sale $300 shipped.

Todd

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
What a $#^++% way of doing things. Free bump, hope you sell them!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They would make great wall hangers or display pieces. I was kind of thinking about it…

Somebody should want these.

The original Frito Bandito!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (300_savage, 3dtestify, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 7 invisible), 1,204 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,137
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.