Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#19146718 01/25/24
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What are people using for slings these days, I'm in need of another rifle sling to use with QD flush-cups, I own slings from Vero Vellini and Montana Sling, looking for something simple but useful, thanks!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Slogan Outdoors Slogan Sling.

I use the magnum / xl or whatever it’s called.

Can get a flush cup version.

Made in USA.

Iirc, 25 year warranty.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Montana sling and Brownell’s “Latigo” sling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana sling for the win!!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I use both Montana slings and Butler Creek Mountain Slings, depending on the rifle and intended use.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have a couple of old Remington slings that used to be on 700 BDLs and a copy of them that I found on eBay. I also have two Montana slings.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I use both Montana slings and Butler Creek Mountain Slings, depending on the rifle and intended use.

This. I own two that get moved from rifle to rifle as needed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Butler Creek

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana slings suck and the more you use it in the elements the more the knot slips and the rifle ends up around your azz then ankles especially when trying to drag a deer.

Butler creek Mountain for the win…no freaking comparison!

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 01/25/24.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Murray Custom Leather…

A-1 Murray Quick Set Rifle Sling

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Grovtec makes a better mountain sling the Uncle Mikes.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I also use a Frankenstud Sling Keeper on my packs to keep my rifle from slipping off my shoulder, no matter what sling I'm using.

Pathfinder--Am familiar with the Grovetech (and other similar slings) but prefer the narrower Butler Creek. That said, Eileen prefers the Grovtech-type slings because they don't put as much pressure on her thinner shoulders. (But she also uses the Frankenstud.)

Also have a few sling purchased in Europe when hunting over there that work similarly to the Butler Creek, and others which provide more "friction." Europe was ahead of the U.S. in many ways, perhaps because the hunting in many countries over there is in steep country. The slings I have were made in Norway (a synthetic model) and Spain, a leather sling with a nubbly rubber area in the section that goes over your shoulder.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 01/25/24.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
what sling is best when hunting Africa when using the standing bi-pod ? or go without ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Montana for me

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I also use a Frankenstud Sling Keeper on my packs to keep my rifle from slipping off my shoulder, no matter what sling I'm using.

Pathfinder--Am familiar with the Grovetech (and other similar slings) but prefer the narrower Butler Creek. That said, Eileen prefers the Grovtech-type slings because they don't put as much pressure on her thinner shoulders. (But she also uses the Frankenstud.)

Also have a few sling purchased in Europe when hunting over there that work similarly to the Butler Creek, and others which provide more "friction." Europe was ahead of the U.S. in many ways, perhaps because the hunting in many countries over there is in steep country. The slings I have were made in Norway (a synthetic model) and Spain, a leather sling with a nubbly rubber area in the section that goes over your shoulder.

The Grovtec mountain sling is the exact same dimensions as the Uncle Mikes. I have both. But the Grovtec obviously has their sling swivels which are a better quality swivel.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The leather one from Brownells is all i use.

Only have one carry strap and it was from a Ruger rifle.

Don't really care for the fake leather,foam padded ones.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a hmr and I'm using the vickers sling. High quality stuff.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Montana's slip knot is the best in the business for adjusting a sling. A runner up is the Blue Force hunting sling. However, I also like slings that stay on your shoulder. The Butler Creek Alaska Magnum, Quake Claw slimline and the Grovtec Mountaineer sling win here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have not bought a decent sling in a while. Lately, I have been buying fairly cheap ones off Amazon for non-hunting rifles and platooning my good leather ones.

I went through a period about a decade ago, where I had excellent luck finding leather slings on Amazon and Ebay. For hunting in decent weather, I like a sling that's:

Leather
Lined
Cobra design
Ready for 1 inch QDs

I don't shoot offhand with a sling. It's just a carry strap to me, but it is a necessary part of the kit. I want both hands free when I'm walking in and out in the dark.

I think I ended up with 3 or 4 new ones. I gave them a good coat of Neat's Foot Oil and let them cure for 6 months or so. These are what I use during deer season when the weather is good. I also have a couple of nice camo synthetics, I think they're EZ Shoot. They have a rubbery neoprene pad that stretches. One stays on my Mossberg 500 turkey gun, and the other gets moved around to whatever I designate as my "Rain Gun" for deer season.

Once I determine what my 4 pieces are going to be for deer season, I do whatever swapping I need to do to give me the appropriate sling.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I almost bought on of these back when they were being sold here, but did not,

Frankenstud Sling Keeper

Anyone know how to purchase one of them now???
Thanks
Tim

I use a variety of slings depending on how long rifle will be on my shoulder and if doing
more or less walking. Can't say any particular one is better, but if doing a lot of humping
I like 1" and quick adjust style if I will be putting on and taking off shoulder regularly.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,789
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.