Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
We can be driving somewhere and him ask me “hey you ever watch that flight of the intruder? “
Oh my foucking Gawd…i just say yeah with you… a lot and dont want to hear a story about it, the end

Then he shifts to CSI miami, new orleans, denver, buffalo, newark, blah blah blah
He is so lucky to have such an understanding son.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are possibly a dozen or so military aviation vets here on the 'Fire. All branches and many airframes and crew positions.

And a million "There I was..." tales.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've become friends with a man at the gym where I work out. He was a USMC pilot flying the A4Skyhawk over Vietnam. He did 70 missions, so he told me. I'll have to ask him if he ever flew the Intruder.

After getting out of the Marines, he flew for American Airlines, 28 years. Helluva nice man, along with his wife, too. They both attend the gym same days I am there.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I've become friends with a man at the gym where I work out. He was a USMC pilot flying the A4Skyhawk over Vietnam. He did 70 missions, so he told me. I'll have to ask him if he ever flew the Intruder.

After getting out of the Marines, he flew for American Airlines, 28 years. Helluva nice man, along with his wife, too. They both attend the gym same days I am there.

L.W.
363 Skyhawks were lost in Vietnam, I just looked it up.
Holy crap and that's just one aircraft type.
Who thinks the Russians weren't manning those SAM launchers and radars ?

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have several buds that flew the A-6. The guys in the following incidents were IPs with me in VT-9 ‘77-‘78 or so…great guys you’d want on your team.

One was nearly killed when the large, heavy TDI attitude gyro (I think that’s what it was called) came out of the instrument panel on a night cat shot. It jammed the stick full aft and knocked the pilot out. The BN was able to reach over and get the thing off the pilot and get the nose down until the pilot came to. IIRC the thing weighted 65-70 lbs. Adrenaline can do wonders!

There had been at least one other incident where i think the BN was able to eject them ok.

Another who had flown A-4s in Vietnam was going through the weapons and tactics phase of the A-6 replacement squadron. They were bombing on one of the live ordnance targets in the Chocolate Mountains north of the NAS El Centro. I think the mishap was attributed to one of the Mk 82s arming early off the rack and a bomb to bomb collision below my bud’s aircraft and killed both of them. Left a wife and two teenagers.

The last one was also doing the weapons phase in the East Coast replacement squadron at NAS Oceana. I was in the F-4 RAG at Oceana at the time. They were doing a night, low level, nuclear weapons delivery at Dare County range in North Carolina. They flew into the trees on the W-E run in line at about 450 kts. Pretty sad memorial service…he left his wife and baby boy.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by slumlord
We can be driving somewhere and him ask me “hey you ever watch that flight of the intruder? “
Oh my foucking Gawd…i just say yeah with you… a lot and dont want to hear a story about it, the end

Then he shifts to CSI miami, new orleans, denver, buffalo, newark, blah blah blah
He is so lucky to have such an understanding son.
So precious

A little snipe and run from long time blather hog

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have a buddy that was on the Independence while they were filming the movie. He’s in one of the scenes and says he still receives a check every so often for his appearance. Have always enjoyed the movie.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Rewatched the movie last week. I read the book but that was a long time again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Pugs was an A-6 guy.

I flew the EA-6B, the better looking fighting drumstick from the Grumman Ironworks. wink

When I got to NAS Whidbey in 88 they were filming the movie. They did a really good job in some respects making the A-6E's look like VN era A-6A's with new paint and removing the TRAM ball under the nose and the flying scenes in the movie were really good but they altered the story from the book far too much into implausible.

I was sure I was going to be an A-6 Bombardier all through flight school but come winging day (that last one of the FY) they sent the #1 guy to NAS Oceana with A-6's and everyone else got EA-6B's to fill a class at the FRS. Oh well, worked out well in the long run and I look back on 2200 hours in the Prowler with fondness.

Was going through pics recently and here's one I took on the wing of a VA-65 A-6E carrying a buddy store on the centerline station for aerial refueling. You can see the ball under the nose that was the TRAM (Target Recognition and Attack Multi-sensor). This was in 90 off the Lincoln as my Airwing did the shakedown cruise.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Great pic.

As always, grateful for contributions from our military aviators.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.
363 Skyhawks were lost in Vietnam, I just looked it up.
Holy crap and that's just one aircraft type.
Who thinks the Russians weren't manning those SAM launchers and radars ?

My friend said to me, "I always felt damned lucky that when I returned to base, I did not have any more holes in me than when I started the mission. Can't say the same for my plane."

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pugs
Pugs was an A-6 guy.

I flew the EA-6B, the better looking fighting drumstick from the Grumman Corporation. wink

When I got to NAS Whidbey in 88 they were filming the movie. They did a really good job in some respects making the A-6E's look like VN era A-6A's with new paint and removing the TRAM ball under the nose and the flying scenes in the movie were really good but they altered the story from the book far too much into implausible.

I was sure I was going to be an A-6 Bombardier all through flight school but come winging day (that last one of the FY) they sent the #1 guy to NAS Oceana with A-6's and everyone else got EA-6B's to fill a class at the FRS. Oh well, worked out well in the long run and I look back on 2200 hours in the Prowler with fondness.

Was going through pics recently and here's one I took on the wing of a VA-65 A-6E carrying a buddy store on the centerline station for aerial refueling. You can see the ball under the nose that was the TRAM (Target Recognition and Attack Multi-sensor). This was in 90 off the Lincoln as my Airwing did the shakedown cruise.

Nice picture of Cupcake 501

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A whole LOT of us had those same thoughts.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
Pugs was an A-6 guy.

I flew the EA-6B, the better looking fighting drumstick from the Grumman Ironworks. wink

There is something about that plane.
It looks like a guppy, but I really like how they look.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
We affectionately called the A-6 the winged baseball bat and the EA-6B the station wagon…..Mom and Dad in the front and the kids in the back.

If you can’t make fun of your Airwing buds, who can you joke around with? 😁

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was at Ft. Hood doing the medevac mission (UH1V) when that movie came out. Saw it at a theater in Killeen. Yea, we all wanted to be A6 pilots the next day. A fun time for us was NOE at 90 knots. I did get to see a whole lot of Ft. Hood most folks no longer get to see.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Cool planes

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Pretty sure there is a Campfire member the flew some version of the plane.
I'm thinking it was the Prowler.
I believe there are at least two former A-6 pilots here. Jorge and Pugs

IIRC, Jorge flew the Lockheed S-3 Viking.

Thanks for that. My memory failed me.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Whoop, whoop…😊

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I couldn't believe my eyes in 2005, al asad airbase iraq. AE-6 Prowlers operating daily. Replaced by the F-18 Growler? Anyway one of my favorites. Thanks you guys that flew it!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.