Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kelljp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Been looking at shotguns in the $1000 range. Kinda keep going back to the Bristol SxS in 16 gauge.
Anyone have experience with this model ?

GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
My experience with TriStar barrel regulation on an O/U has soured me on any two barrel TriStar. And then it quit shooting when I tried to use it as a single barrel trap. It was used and only cost me $400 but I’m through with Tristars.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Worked on a Tristar 20ga double years ago that stopped cocking one hammer
Turned out that the "cocking lever" had bent at the pivot point.
Upon examination there was some materiel in the slot for the lever and rather than remove the materiel they had simply
ground down the lever to achieve the fit. The materiel removed from the lever was primarily around the pivot point. Eventually,
the remaining materiel at the cocking lever hole broke and the lever itself then bent.
I cleaned out the slot and made a new lever.
Poor assembly and questionable steel in my opinion.
I'd look for one of the older German guns. Usually a number of 16's available. Take off the cheekpiece if you wish and perhaps open the chambers and chokes.

K
Kelljp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Don't look to good for TriStar so far

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've got a Tristar in 12ga, a sxs.

So far, so good.

It handles well and has decent wood on it, and the barrels seem to be regulated properly, though I have not shot paper with it. I am basing the regulation on a few shots on water at wounded ducks.

The safety and barrel selector is gritty, which someday when I get the urge, I'll take it apart and see what's up with that.

It's a single trigger, and it seems to be OK as to feel and pull weight, but I haven't checked the trigger pull with a scale.

For a sxs at about $700, I think it's OK. Not as good as my Model 470 20ga Beretta, but the Tristar doesn't cost so much either.

It is steel shot proofed and comes with 5 chokes.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"JUNK".

Last edited by Synoptic; 02/22/24.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am of the opinion you need to slow way fugging down and not settle for less. If you watch and look hard find an ithaca, I c smith, or fox you will find one. I'd rather find a good gun at more money than a turkey for just a little less and in a nutshell that is what everyone has been telling you. Browning Citori Lightning or other models but quality 1st time around. You did ask..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
K
Kelljp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I have one and it carries and shoots as good as my Fox guns.i was disappointed in the wood and blueing through, I purchased a CZ BOBWHITE around the same time. There is no comparison.
The main reason I have one is I wanted an English stock and choke tubes in the barrels.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (1_deuce, 1minute, 264mag, 17CalFan, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 28 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,066
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.