Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One time I lost a hubcap off of the '64 Pontiac I was driving too fast around a corner on a county road. When I went beck to get it, it was leaning against a really nice 3/4 ton chain hoist down in a weedy ditch. That'll never happen again in a million years. It's pulled me out of a few ditches and mud holes through the years..

Last edited by reivertom; 01/20/24.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Reading these reminded me of another road treasure I came across. My wife and I took my parents out for a ride in the country and we came across a woman's purse on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. I got out to pick it up and when I bent down the purse suddenly "ran" for the weeds! At the same time 4 little boys stood up giggling down over the bank. I always wondered how long they waited there for somebody to finf that purse. We all had a good laugh. Especially my dad, he loved a good practical joke.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Driving to Copper Center one afternoon with the boss’ wife in her little SUV to go king fish for the weekend out at the lodge. We get behind a Chevy pickup pulling a 16’ trailer with a Yamaha Rhino on it. Somewhere between Eureka and Glenallen, closer to Eureka, he hits a frost heave and the Rhino unloads itself. Landed on its wheels and must have sheared the park pawl as it started to roll down the highway following its owner. After maybe 100 yards it swerved and went to the ditch and rolled to a stop unscathed.

We followed him all the way to The Hub on the east side of Glenallen honking and flashing the lights trying to get his attention with no luck. He signaled and turned North at the Y headed towards Delta. We gave up and turned south to go fish. I always wondered how long it took him to look back and realize he’d lost his buggy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Reading these reminded me of another road treasure I came across. My wife and I took my parents out for a ride in the country and we came across a woman's purse on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. I got out to pick it up and when I bent down the purse suddenly "ran" for the weeds! At the same time 4 little boys stood up giggling down over the bank. I always wondered how long they waited there for somebody to finf that purse. We all had a good laugh. Especially my dad, he loved a good practical joke.
when we were little schits, we used to use old wallets stuffed with monopoly money (real dollar on the outside)... give the fishing line a tug when someone would reach for it... the greediest ones would chase it 2-3 times for realizing they were being had... lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
found 2 knives lost about 10
found 3 ton bottle jack in a case on const site been buried for about 10 years
fo.und 4 sets of triple truck tie chains

found 6 or 7 tow chains and a few chockers

have had lots of chains get legs and disapeerd
heavy set 20 ft jumper cables gone, $200.oo bucks worth

after 50 years in the business can't remember it all.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yesterday afternoon i was driving home from my sons saw a air nail gun stopped backed up asked a high school kid walking by to pick it up for me and hand it to me thru the window. Bostich great shape.

Norm.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some coworkers were doing road work near Austin NV, one guy walked down the embankment to piss in some willows along the road and found a bike saddlebag, a bit further found a Harley. Sheriffs' office and NHP did a thorough search, found some bones, what they really wanted to find was the helmet.

Turns out the bike was a rental and the biker had been missing for some time. There's a Youtube video of the guy, "Ken Baker Missing Biker".

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Early one morning I found a pair of Gargoyle "Intimidator" sunglasses on the side of the road in front of a gay bar......still use them today!

When I was a kid I was pretty tackle poor, I was walking down to the bayou to fish and a car went by turned and a well stocked tackle box fell off the top of the car.

Dad and I tried hard to find the owner but to no avail.

It was a good day for Paulie!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Truck box with some tools in it, Blue Point, S-K, Snap On and some other top end tools. Watched it slide out, wasn't bolted down and tailgate of the truck was down. Looked for that truck at that intersection a few more time but never saw him.

Ratchets straps, a few other tools.

Woman's billfold. Weed, rolling papers and I.D. so I took it to the address and stuck it in the mailbox.

Life jacket.

Electric filled knife on the road from Lake Winnie to the Dam restaurant. Buddy still uses it.

Aluminum 2 wheel dolly.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of things. Most feel-good was a rent check I returned to it's owner. They were frantic about losing it. Another was a wallet. Waited for the guy at McDonalds to drive back for it. Males life a little more worth living when you can encourage someone by returning their lost stuff.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
We were doing a highway cleanup on the portion of road that runs by our development last spring. Found a nearly new 12 gauge Browning Gold shotgun. I figured it may have been stolen or possibly used in a crime so I went to the local PD and had them run the serial number. Nothing came back on it, but they confiscated it for destruction.
Well that was real special of them taking care of that.
Likely in some cop’s closet

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
We were doing a highway cleanup on the portion of road that runs by our development last spring. Found a nearly new 12 gauge Browning Gold shotgun. I figured it may have been stolen or possibly used in a crime so I went to the local PD and had them run the serial number. Nothing came back on it, but they confiscated it for destruction.

The PD is the last place I would have taken that gun. On what grounds did they "confiscate" it?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My boat didn’t come with a Bimini top. Somebody put the top out for bulk rubbish. I grabbed it for another boat and almost put it on Craigs List. Seaway wanted $5,000 for a top, cost me about $150 to make it work. One inch Stainless steel tubing not aluminum and the top is Sunbrella.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My brother-in-law found a brand spanking new Stihl MS261 chainsaw on the road a few miles from my house and gave it to me. It must have fallen off someone's service truck.

Unfortunately, I couldn't think of a plausible way of finding and returning it to its owner, without some smuck just lying that he's the one that lost it. So I kept it. I actually prefer my Husky XP saw better.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What if the police were only given the serial number?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What if the police were only given the serial number?

Maybe that was an option. I maybe could have gone to the local Stihl dealers and told them I found a saw and if anyone contacted me with the correct serial number they could have it back. But they sell Stihl saws at an awful lot of places these days.

I don't know the serial number of any of my own saws though. Or many of my other tools for that matter.

Last edited by gsganzer; 01/26/24.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Most recently 11 sticks of 3/16ths x 6" flat stock mild steel brand new 20' long....pretty good haul. Strung out down about 200 yards of interstate. Took over an hour to load up and boom down under the tractor I was hauling.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
... left my favorite pair of Gargoyle "Intimidator" sunglasses on the roof of my car when leaving early AM ... why i hate getting up early...

Originally Posted by 12344mag
Early one morning I found a pair of Gargoyle "Intimidator" sunglasses on the side of the road in front of a gay bar......

Dad and I tried hard to find the owner but to no avail.

It was a good day for Paulie!!

Hmmm?

Last edited by cv540; 01/26/24.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i found my current chocalate Lab on the side of highway 90 when he was about a year old. Poor thing had nails so long he couldnt hardly walk and a collar grown into his neck. he aint much of a bird dog and hes lazy like me, but hes my best friend.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 35, 2UP, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 870 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,975
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.