Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
guys everyone that is a handloader of a 22 K- Hornet or even a plain Jane Hornet you need to try some 33 gr. Shock Hammer bullets this bullet has a big hole / hollow point its accurate and does it smack kritters hard very few ever move again .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by dale06
My K hornet is a custom classic Kimber 82. It’s quite attractive and shoots about 3/4” groups at 100 yards, five shots of course.
Dale, is yours a factory chambering or did you have it punched out? I have a LH 82 that I'm considering making a K hornet.

Mine is a factory K hornet.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks. I’m going to send mine off to be chambered K-hornet. Any recommendations or can most all gunsmiths do the work?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pete53
guys everyone that is a handloader of a 22 K- Hornet or even a plain Jane Hornet you need to try some 33 gr. Shock Hammer bullets this bullet has a big hole / hollow point its accurate and does it smack kritters hard very few ever move again .
I was wondering about these bullets. Thanks Pete. Do you have any load data to share?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
>loading the K-Hornet recipe = i have Redding dies , used Hornady K-Hornet case shot from this rifle , 33 gr. Shock Hammer bullet , 11.5 grs. H110 , Federal sm. primer, i never really worried about seating bullets to Lans only so the cartridge fit easy in clip/magazine . i have target rifles so i see no reason to worry about super accuracy with my K-Hornets , this ammo was reloaded to kill kritters and believe me this bullet really smacks them kritters good. as i have posted before this K-hornet rifle ,extra clip/magazine , extra ammo is in a plastic case is all in the garage , rifle is hanging, the ammo ,clip on a shelf all together in garage all year in different temperatures thru out the year in Minnesota its 4 below today next summer in July might be 90 + who knows ? but this rifle and ammo has never failed me yet and i am still smack`n Kritters. i have tried many different brands and types of bullets on these kritters but prefer to use and shoot this 33 gr. big hole Shock Hammer works the best for me , my house is 100 feet from a small stream and 200 yards from a bigger river and another stream so we get kritters here plenty every year and all year long.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks. I’m going to send mine off to be chambered K-hornet. Any recommendations or can most all gunsmiths do the work?

DF's post sorta encouraged me to hand ream my Hornet. Waiting on 4D Reamer Rentals to call back. They have the reamer and gauges, just need the t-handle.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

https://ct-precision.com/

Randy is the man.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WTM45

Randy is the man.

Good intel! Thank you!

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks WTM!

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks all for the info. Finally picked up the rig today and it's better shape than I was expecting. Can't wait to get a little warm weather to form some brass and get shooting

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I just got my first hornet a couple weeks ago. It is a ruger 77/22 already been bumped to k hornet. I might still thread it for a small suppressor i have but after shooting some blue dot and unique reduced loads through it on wednesday I am not sure I need to suppress it. 4 gr of either blue dot or unique behind a 34 gr nosler hp flat base bullet shot well about .5 inches at 50 yards. Didnt get velocity readings but probably about 1800 fps. Full power loads of h110 with 35 gr vmax shoot well and would be for my longer range work.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WTM45

Randy is the man.

Sent my 77/22 out to them yesterday. No idea on turnaround time, but I'll let you know how it goes.

By the time I rented a reamer and paid for all the shipping back and forth, it was close enough to CT Precision that it was a wash. Plus, they supposedly do to accuracy tune up stuff and make the trigger decent as well. All in for 215 bucks returned back to my door.

I scored a set of Reddings from Grafs and might see about getting one of the Lee Collet Dies on his suggestion for it. Brass is sitting in a pile ready to rip. Need to sort out a scope for it, but otherwise, I am looking forward to getting it back.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I had CPC punch mine out to K hornet and bush the bolt. Turnaround was less than a month and it shot great. Wish I would have kept that gun

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dude270
I had CPC punch mine out to K hornet and bush the bolt. Turnaround was less than a month and it shot great. Wish I would have kept that gun

That's great news. They were rec'ed here, but I have never used them. They should have it in their hands today, so the wait begins. Hard to beat them bush'ing the bolt, doing trigger work, rechamber, crowning, etc for 200 bucks in my opinion, especially if it shoots well.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dude270

Oyeah, it still shoots great! Finally blooded it up last spring gobbler on a decent bird at about 140yds.

I've had Randy do several 10/22's over the years, definitely top notch work. And still very pleased with the work he did on Dude's Ruger.

R.D.

For HIS service,

R.D.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Glad you are putting it to good use R.D.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s good to hear.

What’s a FF load you all use? I was thinking of loading some stuff up so I can shoot it some once it comes home.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs
That’s good to hear.

What’s a FF load you all use? I was thinking of loading some stuff up so I can shoot it some once it comes home.
What powder do you have or can put your hands on?

DF

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
That’s good to hear.

I used 11.5 grains of h110 with 35 grain vmax and cci 400s.

I played with lil gun some in formed loads with 40 grain BTs but always ended up back at the 35s and h110 with a little more powder for my formed loads

Last edited by Dude270; 02/06/24.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That’s good to hear.

Lilgun and MP300 will give you more speed, with lower PSI, than any other powder I am aware of. Lilgun is a very good powder for magnum handgun loads, with higher FPS and lower PSI.

Try small pistol primers, and get the Lee Collet Die.

It's a very small case, so very small changes can show big results. I went with .2gr powder (Lilgun) increments, and 12.0 through 12.6grs showed mediocre accuracy. 12.8 and 13.0grs gave me the accuracy I was looking for.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.