Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by comerade
Never owned a 300 wsm.
I just don't care for the concept of short and fat.
Maybe ,because I prefer mine - tall and lean -thinner in body , with a gently sloping shoulder(s)
The .300 H&H is one example of what I mean.
My wife is the other .
I guess it depends on your deep seated preferences.
My little old opinion, folks
Cheers

This post only goes to show not all opinions are created equal.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Be honest with yourself,

Are you a fan of recoil?

8lb gun or under, its ‘lively”. Don’t care who agrees with that or not……….

65 grains of H4350 is 65 grains, no ifs ands or buts……….

Also, noticed most reply’s here were, “had” a .300wsm, myself included.

You find yourself in desire with the Gun, not the Cartridge……The novelty of the gun will fade, the recoil wont.

It also depends on how often you want to shoot it, and if you hand load.

Exactly^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It boils down to "do you like the rifle its in"? If you like and admire the rifle, go for it. Load it like a 30-06 if it kicks too bad, you still have your nice rifle! smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It does shoot real well.

The rifle needs to fit you or you will feel the recoil more.

I built a rifle on a Mauser and when load testing found out that even the 190 grain Sierra bullets felt like some of the lower weights.

Fit is king.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I just picked up another the other day. I was intentionally waiting for a Montana in 300wsm but came across a fair deal on a Remington 700 CDL SF in .300 WSM with a Timney trigger. Its a dandy of a rifle. Looking forward to shooting it. My other 300 WSM is a Winchester Model 70 FW. I hunt elk with one of my 300 Win Mags, but would not hesitate to use the .300 WSM. I used to hunt whitetail with a 7.82 Patriot Lazzeroni in a custom made rifle Great cartridge and was a slightly badder (faster) version of the WSM, before there was a WSM. Still have the Patriot, but dont use it much

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Have a Kimber classic 8400 in 300 WSM and love the thing, one of the most accurate factory guns I have ever owned, shoot 180 grain Accubonds and I don't think it kicks any harder than the 300 win mags I have shot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
30 wsm is flexible and accurate.......easily loaded down to 308 /06 levels if thats what you need at the time or will tread right on the heels of the 300 Win

it does pretty much anything a 30 caliber needs to do
Yup everything but find on sale at wallyworld like 300 win mag. And you know you will never find 300 wsm priced even close to what you can buy 300 win mag for anywhere in SD..mb

I guess I figure any 30 caliber magnum is a reloaders cartridge..........and once you have a supply of a few hundred pieces of brass for a rifle , you are set........these are not guns for shooting gophers

I cant imagine having to run a 300 win on walmart sale ammo

but I will say the price difference between 300 win ammo and 30wsm is not alot at the local Runnings store

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Can't give you much of an argument on the handloading as I do all mine. Their are alot more people who buy factory ammo than those of us who handload. It will be along time though before you hear me bad mouth federal bluebox, rem and ww ammo bought at Walmart or where ever purchased and they sell alot of it. I watched a guy buy 3 boxes of 300 wsm one time, he gave the clerk 2 c notes and got back damn little change. In my book that sucks. Again more users of 300 wsm are not handloaders but buy factory ammo. So that is how I see it. We both deal with the same stores here in SD..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would add they get more 180 anything or the Terminal Ascent 200gr. As mentioned above, this ain't no plinker anyhow, ha! Good luck to you, can't hardly wait to get mine back from the Smith (lightened trigger...although I may end up getting a Trigger Tech later on... and my Burris FFII spare scope mounted). No brake on this one (or that other Kimber for that matter) I did have a brake put on Pastor's rifle as with conjunction with the heavy barrel and heavy weight (like a Sendero is) Varminter one could see your bullets strike, or miss. Very helpful on deer shot near "the edges" and coyotes/prairie dogs, Marmots all the time! Have a ball man!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/27/24.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by paguy
Have a Kimber classic 8400 in 300 WSM and love the thing, one of the most accurate factory guns I have ever owned, shoot 180 grain Accubonds and I don't think it kicks any harder than the 300 win mags I have shot.

I also have a Kimber 8400 Classic in .300 WSM. I agree, it’s a very nice rifle. I only wish I had a use for it. For the hunting I do now, my .308’s handle all my needs nicely. I would kind of like to send the .300 WSM down the road, but seem unable to make a serious effort to do so.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Can't give you much of an argument on the handloading as I do all mine. Their are alot more people who buy factory ammo than those of us who handload. It will be along time though before you hear me bad mouth federal bluebox, rem and ww ammo bought at Walmart or where ever purchased and they sell alot of it. I watched a guy buy 3 boxes of 300 wsm one time, he gave the clerk 2 c notes and got back damn little change. In my book that sucks. Again more users of 300 wsm are not handloaders but buy factory ammo. So that is how I see it. We both deal with the same stores here in SD..mb

IF ammo price was a deal breaker, Weatherby would be out of business.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oakster
IF ammo price was a deal breaker, Weatherby would be out of business.

That’s for certain……….and a long time ago too.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could have written the original post myself. I was in the market for a lighter 300 magnum and really liked the idea of a Kimber rifle. I saw a used one in the gun rack at the local gun shop and knew the previous owner. The walnut stock looked great and the rifle looked unused. The original oner said he couldn't get it to shoot very well.(It Kicks!) I bought it. It shoots great! It does kick! I have found that over the years I have spent much more time carrying my rifle than actually firing it. This one carries very well and points very quickly. Not once have I ever shot a game animal and thought to myself, "That rifle really kicks!" I never notice the recoil. I have used a Ruger 300 Winchester Magnum for years as a traveling rifle. It is heavy and has been moved to the back of my gun safe. The Kimber 300 WSM will be with me, if I get to go on another hunt.

Harry
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've sort of downsized alot. my 2 main, general purpose Big game rifles are now, a Winchester model 70 FWt in 280 rem shooting 140 gr partitons at right around 3000 FPS and &00 BDL in 30-06 shooting 180 grain Partitons at about 2800 fps.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by SKane
As suppressors become more commonplace, I think the 300wsm is seeing new life from folks that want a shorter barrel and still want to drive a .30 cal bullet faster than the 30.06 can muster.

This is what caused me to bring home a Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT in 300 WSM. It has a 20 inch barrel and my Silencerco Harvester EVO gives me a barrel length that is very handy out of a blind. Recoil is negligible, and my limited experience with on game performance has been very encouraging.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by SKane
As suppressors become more commonplace, I think the 300wsm is seeing new life from folks that want a shorter barrel and still want to drive a .30 cal bullet faster than the 30.06 can muster.

This is what caused me to bring home a Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT in 300 WSM. It has a 20 inch barrel and my Silencerco Harvester EVO gives me a barrel length that is very handy out of a blind. Recoil is negligible, and my limited experience with on game performance has been very encouraging.

Were I younger and had a lot of hunting in front of me, a 300 WSM with a suppressor would be a no brainer. The SA gets you a 1/2" less than a LA, and I'd cut to 18." Ditto with a 6.5 PRC.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Kimber 8400 300wsm I love so much I had it restocked to go to Africa. I was surprised the original stock was hollowed out to save weight. With the new stock, it’s just a touch heavier, but it still handles great. While I haven’t killed nearly as many animals as many of you have with a 300wsm, it’s taken a nice mature CO bull elk (65 yards with 200gr Federal Edge TLR), Kudu, waterbuck, puku, and zebra (200gr Accubonds.). All one shot kills, and I never felt the recoil on any of the shots. IMO the 300wsm really shines with the higher BC 200gr bullets. A 200gr Terminal Ascent with a BC over .600 and over 2800fps is an absolute hammer.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'm going to pass on it. More recoil than a 30-06 is just not fun for me anymore. Even a box of ammo through the 30-06 is enough for the day. IF anyone (else) is interested in the rifle, PM me and I'll get you info for the shop that has it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 300 WSM in a Tikka T3 Lite. I put on a new recoil pad and shoot it quite a bit now. I also handload for it and my .300 WM. The .300 WSM gets out hunting a lot more than the .300 WM does these days. I had a Remington 700 BDL SS in .300 WSM that shot 3 shot groups into 1 bug hole with 165 gr. SST’s and IMR 4320. The issue, when you loaded anything above 165 gr. bullets, it didn’t feed correctly. It seemed to be an issue with WSM’s and REM 700’s. My son had a co-worker that wanted it, so I sold it to him.

With the Tikka, I put a LA bolt stop on it and bought a Mountain Tactical mag for it. I can seat my bullets out further now, and get a lot more accuracy from my handloads.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like the round and if I felt the need for a magnum rifle it would be the one I'd go back to. I ran across a used SS model 70 in 300 WSM quite a few years ago with a screwed-up stock. Got the rifle dirt cheap and found a used McMillan Edge in the classifieds here. Since the bottom metal was wrong for the stock I put aluminum PTG bottom metal on it. With a Leupold VX2 it was 7 1/2 lbs. The bare rifle was right at 6 1/2.

Accuracy was good and recoil was tolerable, hardly more than a comparable weight 30-06. When you are using 10-15 gr less powder and giving up 50-100 fps to a 300WM the difference in recoil is noticeable. The 50-100 fps is not IMO.

But looking hard at reality I just had no need for that much rifle. In fact my 30-06 has been long retired and I've found that a 308 simply does all I need a rifle to do. I don't have the skills to shoot far enough to need a magnum rifle so I let it go.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.