Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Do not underestimate the LDS church. I'll never be Mormon, but this is something they take very seriously and put a lot of resources into and I'd bet on them to be the best in the world in the field.
If you are referring to me......I wasn't referring the the LDS, my apologies, I think it likely has the most extensive collection that probably works for alot of people.
I use other sources is all, and they are available for research.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No skin off my nose, just tend to want to dispel misconceptions whenever I think I encounter them.

Nothing wrong with cross referencing, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes people enter into a genealogy search for as short as 1-2 immediate generations, looking for lost family, that happened to me.
Then others try to go back 10-20 generations, interesting.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Do not underestimate the LDS church. I'll never be Mormon, but this is something they take very seriously and put a lot of resources into and I'd bet on them to be the best in the world in the field.

When you're constantly bangin your nieces, cousins, and other relatives you gotta keep track of that chit.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I checked familysearch.org finding they had my fathers birth year wrong, age off, burial town incorrect, some siblings missing, yet parents correct ending there.
Other sites are correct going back to famous criminals and famous politicians beyond 1025.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've got ancestors that go back five, maybe six generations in the Kentucky county where I was born. I've got some distant relatives who have tracked it back much farther than that. But it goes in so many directions once you get back past five generations that it doesn't have much significance. There's too many lines feeding into it if you take it back to sixth great grandparents.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think its a good idea to pay particular attention to the female side of things lol.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My wife passed in 1998–shortly after I did some genealogy research on her name and my own. Traced her family name back to 1610 with Champlain and my own to the Mayflower. Soon forgot about it.

During Covid I looked it up again and was absolutely astounded by all the new information that’s available.

I found out that somewhere between the whaling Captain and the whiskey trader in early Alberta there was an adoption. That adoption was probably a white kid but nothing else is known about him. So while I have the complete family tree back 12 generations to the Mayflower there is no genetic dna relation.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I was curious myself how those records were kept and I researched BuzzH and found out his great grandfather was a toad. That should prove that evolution isn’t real…
😂😂

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hardway
Everyone claims they're related to someone on the fuggin Mayflower lmao.

There are about 30M mayflower descendants.

https://mymodernmet.com/descendant-ancestors-mayflower/

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Steve

Already enough religious fanatics in the family w/o having to complicate it with puritans.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I don't have what it takes to dig like my wife did tracing hers and then mine. The mystery can suck you in though. She relied on LDS a lot. Immigration records are also very good once you get on the scent. The really old ones didn't always list the wives. She went to the National Archives in DC. This was 12-14 years ago so some of the old microfiche records might be digitized now. On a parallel course, genetic tracing services like 23 and Me or Ancestry.Com can link you to a whole range of people, showing the closeness of relationship, ethnicity, and geographic origin. Also, I forgot to mention church records. Many churches maintained what was like a big family bible recording births, deaths, and marriages.

Last edited by Crash_Pad; 01/27/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve

Per the relative finder site, I'm a direct descendent of 4 passengers that were on the Mayflower. 11th, 12th and 13th Great Grandfathers, and one 12th Great Grandmother.

The "more options" button allows one to sort the list of "all" relatives, to just "direct" decedents.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Talking of genealogy….

The newsboys havemt posted…

Levar Burton ( actor from roots) had a white great grand pappy…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Talking of genealogy….

I seen that😂

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Talking of genealogy….

I seen that😂

Dave Chappelle should do a skit of that…

😂😂😂😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Talking of genealogy….

I seen that😂

Dave Chappelle should do a skit of that…

😂😂😂😂

The white, black pixie!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 673
I think its a good idea to pay particular attention to the female side of things lol.

If you claim to be Jewish the genes prove on the female side.

Yup. everybody's got relatives--- amazing!!!

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kkahmann
My wife passed in 1998–shortly after I did some genealogy research on her name and my own. Traced her family name back to 1610 with Champlain and my own to the Mayflower. Soon forgot about it.

During Covid I looked it up again and was absolutely astounded by all the new information that’s available.

I found out that somewhere between the whaling Captain and the whiskey trader in early Alberta there was an adoption. That adoption was probably a white kid but nothing else is known about him. So while I have the complete family tree back 12 generations to the Mayflower there is no genetic dna relation.
Adoptions were common, native kid to white family, white kid to native families, alot of that happened.

I have a signed contract between my 5th gen grandfather and the Northwest company, it says to go to Lk Superior, Nipigon and beyond.....1793.........he was around 16yrs, unlikely he ever saw his parents again as he spent the rest of his life in the Athabaska region of Alberta.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have friends that spent much time on the LDS site. They compared it to known well documented family info.

They said that the LDS info was incorrect on much of what they had. It was based on what people had submitted not actinal records.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,670
Posts18,474,777
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.