Hop To
D
Dave_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
To all of the experts here in the ‘fire,

After being influenced by all of the weight obsessed, Nimrods here I seem to have a gun safe full of lightweight hunting rifles in traditional calibers.

I was thinking about getting something different… mostly was target practice, up to 600 yards. Anyone have any thoughts of the Sako P20 Precision… possibly in 6.5 Creedmore (I hear you’re not a real rifleman until you own a couple.

I love the vintage Sako I own and enjoyed most I’ve picked up at LGS’s. I already have a couple 308’s, 30-06, 7mm REM Mag, 223 and a 45-70 Guide Gun.

Please let me show what you think! Pro’s, con’s alternatives…

Thanks in advance,

Dave P.

PS - Not really set on any particular caliber..I already have dies, powders and bullets for 7Rem, 30-06 and .308.

Sako s20
https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-...mId=2314cd9b-e75b-4d5f-84c9-21b2d345f16a

Last edited by Dave_P; 01/27/24.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No on the Sako, get a Tikka CTR.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I read a bunch about the sako since I seen them on discount at EO. I never found anyone that owned one that wouldn’t shoot. And a lot of people were just running factory ammo. I refuse to jump on the creedmoor wagon, but still kicking around getting the PRC. It sounds like a lot of gun for the price.

D
Dave_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks BSA & Roadrunner! Anyone actually shoot one?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Have an S20 in 270. Got a sale with both the Hunter & Precision stocks. Only shot the Hunter stock. Plenty accurate with factory ammunition. Now that hunting season is over I intend to do some load development and see if I can better the factory loads. I did tweak the trigger pull weight a bit, easy to do but the manual is less than clear about how. All the factory ammunition I shot was < 1 MOA after I lightened the trigger some.

RAS

IC B2

D
Dave_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks RAS!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've got the S20 hunter version in 6.5 PRC. First five shots with Norma Factory 143gr Golden Target......that's a half inch square.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 143gr Norma Bondstrike shoots just as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Dave_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks JGRaider! Just the type of feedback I’m looking for!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Got the .300 WM, here is a target with the first 3 shots after sight in. Using factory Rem/Swift Scirrocco @ 100 yds. Used the hunter butt with precision forearm and Zeiss scope. Couldn't have paid me to take another shot on that target.)))

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Have the 6.5 PRC, less than 1/2 in 3 shot @ 100 yds with factory Hornady ELD X. Hunter full stock. Took a 4x5 muley next day 1 shot to throat @ 200 yds, easy shot.

Using 6 creed, less than 1/2 in with Sierra 105 BK. 1 in with Hornady Whitetail so scrapped that. Using hunter Stock.

A friend has the .300 WM full precision stock, shot 1/2 in with handloads , cant remember load specifics, using full precision stock.

There was a hex wrench in box that fit trigger adj, found it much easier with 10 in long t-handle hex wrench to adj under 2 lbs.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have shot one. Helped a new hunter get setup with gear. He listened and bought a sako s20 precision in 6.5creed and a trijicon tenmile 3-18.

Turned out to be an extremely accurate setup. I've shot it a bit. Great rifle. I would get either the sako or tikka ctr

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No context as to why?

Sako and Tikka are basically the same company. The Sako is all stainless with Cerakote and less money than a blued CTR (same price as the 24" SS CTR for some reason? ) at EO. I see no good argument to choose the CTR over the Sako unless you want a 20" barrel to use a suppressor. The above targets shown also tell a guy it's going to be just as accurate as a Tikka out of the box.

I haven't shot thw S20, but the most accurate factory rifle I've shot is the Sako TRG in .308. I have a buddy who has one, it's extremely accurate IMO.

D
Dave_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks guys! I pulled the trigger on a S20 in 6.5 Creed…I should get it in my hands Thursday or Friday… next up ridges and scope…

Jackson Handy, I’ll check out your Trijicon recommendation.. but it might be a bit rich for me…

Any other scope recommendations and loads much appreciated!

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
The s20’s drive tacks, great trigger, super smooth action, similar bedding system as the trg’s. According to this guy they’re basically a scaled down trg or trgs. Same bolt as the 22’s/42’s and the old trgs rifles. The cons for me is they need a metal trigger guard, the plastic sucks for hard use, and a folding aluminum rear stock would have been perfect, wish there was an aftermarket option. Otherwise great rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the s20 in 6.5 creed... as my handle should tell you I love Sako rifles... own and owned a lot of them over the years... I absolutely love my s20... I have the precision but bought a hunter stock for it as well (even though I have never even put it on)... Very, very accurate and adjustable to your self. I certainly recommend it. The only thing about it was it took me about a month to find the muzzlebreak to match from Sako... finally found one and that took care of that...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No context as to why?

Sako and Tikka are basically the same company. The Sako is all stainless with Cerakote and less money than a blued CTR (same price as the 24" SS CTR for some reason? ) at EO. I see no good argument to choose the CTR over the Sako unless you want a 20" barrel to use a suppressor. The above targets shown also tell a guy it's going to be just as accurate as a Tikka out of the box.

I haven't shot thw S20, but the most accurate factory rifle I've shot is the Sako TRG in .308. I have a buddy who has one, it's extremely accurate IMO.

For a few different reasons. I'll outline it, to make it easier for you:

1. The plastic trigger guard is cheap on the S20, where the CTR uses a 1 piece aluminum bottom metal/trigger guard.
2. Better magazines on the CTR.
3. Stock shape is more appealing on the CTR
4. The integral scope bases on the SAKO are 0 MOA. For a "precision" rifle, it's nice to have an option for 20-30 moa: It's nice to have options to reach further out. The title of the thread has "precision rifle" in it, and everyone I know that owns a precision rifle, are shooting out past 1,000 yards. 0 moa can sometimes get you out to 1,000, depending on the scope you use, but 20 moa is better IMHO..

There are things I like about the Sako, vs the older Sako's. They changed the ejector location, so it's not going to be throwing brass up into the windage knob on your scope anymore. That is a plus. Even my A7 had issues in this regard, as is my buddies 85 300WSM. Have seen this issue with multiple Sako's.

I'd also expect accuracy to be on par with the CTR. Both rifles being built in the same plant, with similar/same barrels. Price is nearly the same, so it all depends on what you can live with. Some of my reasons are aesthetically based, and some are mechanically based: This is why I suggested the CTR over the S20.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mods get this crap out of this section please. Bout threw up in my mouth a little. Hunting rifles please...there’s all kinds of web space for the target crap.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
Mods get this crap out of this section please. Bout threw up in my mouth a little. Hunting rifles please...there’s all kinds of web space for the target crap.

You are a retard.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote

You are a retard.

you setting up a new 'hunter' with a prs rig? who's the tard again?

what's that set up weigh btw?

nah...you just set up a new target shooter, like I said...isn't there subsections for the target rifles and long range target shooting? how does that set up even closely relate? lol

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 02/01/24.
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Neither that S20 nor a CTR is anything close to a PRS rig, but I wish you would have told me a CTR wasn't any good for hunting, as I just wasted a whole season hunting with one. I only got 4 with it, perhaps I should have stuck with the Montana. I might have gotten 5.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,777
Posts18,477,000
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.