Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
starting a search for a pup....wpg or gwp...hopefully in montana....but will travel....any suggestions on a kennel?.....bob

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Bob, if you can be talked into a Draht, I have leads and recommendations. I don’t know what your timeframe is like but I am anticipating a breeding from these two at some point. A few things left to do for my female until she’s certified to breed. Feel free to pm.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...n-wirehair-pointer-pups-akc#Post17965825

Disclaimer: I have no familiarity with this member, nor do I know if he has litters on a regular basis. Just passing along a thread from a while ago as something to check.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, not now but can someone tell me the difference from GWP, WPG, & DRAUT please??? I've had one??? Great dog!!! Not sure what I had now. Thanks. GWP?GUY.?? 🐾👣🇨🇦

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Evnin, not now but can someone tell me the difference from GWP, WPG, & DRAUT please??? I've had one??? Great dog!!! Not sure what I had now. Thanks. GWP?GUY.?? 🐾👣🇨🇦
You might check out these articles off the Project Upland website to help answer your questions:
German Wirehaired Pointer: Dog Breed Information, Form, Function, History, and More
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon – Dog Breed Information, Form, Function, History, and More
The Difference Between a Deutsch-Drahthaar and a German Wirehaired Pointer

IMO, what really matters is the competence, knowledge and ethics of the breeder, and then how dedicated the new puppy owner is to following a quality training program.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Lots of good info in those articles. In a nutshell, genetically speaking the wirehair and the Drahthaar are the same dog. But breed standards separated them as two distinct breeds years ago. The WPG is, (along with the stichelhaar, kurzhaar and pudelpointer) one of the breeds that went into the development of the Drahthaar in the late 1800’s. When they finally developed what they were after, in order to maintain the genetics and characteristics, they developed a performance based testing system (JGHV) in order to regulate which dogs would be allowed to breed. Those tests are still utilized today. In the 50’s those with dogs that had been bred outside the JGHV/VDD petitioned to the AKC to have their dogs recognized as a separate breed. Thus the German Wirehaired Pointer.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm in Montana with an upcoming Draht litter, vom Verrückten Jäger. Awesome parents. Drahts are not for everyone, they are hard charging no [bleep] hunters that have a great on-off switch. Feel free to contact me for more info if you'd like.

Last edited by tops911; 01/28/24.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
vom Makoshika. Not in Montana but very close.

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate it. bob

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Bob, if you can be talked into a Draht, I have leads and recommendations. I don’t know what your timeframe is like but I am anticipating a breeding from these two at some point. A few things left to do for my female until she’s certified to breed. Feel free to pm.

that blk and white is a beauty....bob

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
MTD DD FAN, Thanks appreciate that. Have a good weekend!!! GWPGUY. 🐾👣🇨🇦👍🏻

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

that blk and white is a beauty....bob
Bob, that’s my male Hank aka Juren vom Heuerhaus. And he’s actually not black. He’s a VERY dark braunschummel.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would be hesitant to recommend a DD to someone that doesn’t know what they are getting into. The drive and fur sharpness make for a challenging roommate.
If you have been around them and know how you are going to utilize those traits, then by all means.

You looking for a companion that hunts or a hunting dog you can live with?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And to answer your OP, try KSL.com classifieds.
Lots of dogs from mild to wild.

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Backroads
I would be hesitant to recommend a DD to someone that doesn’t know what they are getting into. The drive and fur sharpness make for a challenging roommate.
If you have been around them and know how you are going to utilize those traits, then by all means.

You looking for a companion that hunts or a hunting dog you can live with?

true......I have had 2 wpg and 1 DD......that was one determined dog. unfortunately she...I will only have females.....developed a front shoulder problem at around 6 mos.

when I started this post I knew the dd would come up.... my dogs are with me pretty much all the time....bob

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

Nicely put together dog, definitely easy on the eyes!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am having aplanned breeding this spring some time,,, white male on the left and the dark dog on the right, is the female, the white dog on right is the dam, numerous litters on the ground from her

Attached Images
3dog.jpg (64.13 KB, 116 downloads)
F
F
I've had 3 GSP, 4 WPG, two GWP, and 4 DD. When Joan (Griffon club Secretary and newsletter editor) and Ed Bailey (co-founder of NAVDA) were actively involved in the Griffon Club, there a few good dogs with decent coats, many that had soft coats and lots that didn't appear to have much desire for game or water contact. The Baileys efforts improved the breed, but the resulting genetic base of these superior dogs was too narrow to maintain. So, the Club decided to outcross with a very similar breed, the Ceskky Fousek. Some Club members, most of which couldn't recognize that their dogs weren't anywhere near as great as they thought they were, opposed this and created their own "purebred" Griffon club. Keep in mind that ALL the versatile breeds share many common ancestors which came from various breeds. This won't be popular with the Griffon purists, but I wouldn't have one of their dogs if it was gifted to me. My limited experience with the GWP was a mixed bag. The first one was outstanding. The second, from the same breeder but different sire and dam, was hit and miss when it came to duck hunting. Some days he refused to retrieve and others he didn't. We finally parted ways after he made a long retrieve of a duck and promptly shredded it. IMO, you stand a better chance with a DD because the sire and dam HAVE to meet minimum performance levels in tests in order to be approved for breeding. Not so with the GWP. Some DD can be very independent, and I recommend you visit the breeder to size up the dam and sire if he's available. If you haven't had hunting dogs before, take someone who has with you when evaluating the parents and breeder.

Political comments in signatures often reflect poorly on the poster.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.