Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Would anyone happen to know how much less (if any) the new 62gn ELD-VT's COAL is, when loaded to touch the lands, compared to 75gn Amax? For example, if the 75gn Amax touches the lands with a COAL length of 2.89", approx. what COAL would the 62gn ELD-VT touch the lands at? Thanks for any responses.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wonder what cartridge?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by sidepass
Wonder what cartridge?
Arrow or Swift

E
E
This is a question which can only really be answered by using the proper measuring tools and checking each bullet in your particular chamber. Throat dimensions and angles can vary between different chambers of the same caliber. Making assumptions based on the measurements of another person’s chamber can lead to a potentially unsafe condition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm assuming this new 62gr will not have a nose length compatible with AR-loaded 223?

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JPro
I'm assuming this new 62gr will not have a nose length compatible with AR-loaded 223?
That's my understanding...too long in ogive.
Originally Posted by Emlupi
This is a question which can only really be answered by using the proper measuring tools and checking each bullet in your particular chamber. Throat dimensions and angles can vary between different chambers of the same caliber. Making assumptions based on the measurements of another person’s chamber can lead to a potentially unsafe condition.
Whatever COAL the 75gn Amax gives in someone's particular chamber measured with calipers minus the COAL the 62 gn ELD-VT gives in their chamber will give a very good indication of the difference in my chamber.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 01/30/24.
E
E
If you say so. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Emlupi; 01/30/24.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Are these even available?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
If you say so. Good luck to you.
I'm happy for you to explain how it wouldn't give a very good indication of the difference in my chamber? Like it's not as though in your chamber they would touch at the same COAL, but in mine, the 62 ELD-VT will be .060" shorter COAL than the 75 gn Amax with both touching.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Are these even available?
If I could get my hands on some, I wouldn't need to ask the question. There may be some out there. Apparently, the ogive is about .60 and length about 1.05.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So why are you asking the general public the specifics of loading a bullet that isn't yet available to the general public?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
So why are you asking the general public the specifics of loading a bullet that isn't yet available to the general public?
There's a shortage of many components at the moment, but that doesn't mean they haven't been released in limited numbers or perhaps someone does actually have them. Even with the bullets which you yourself said were discontinued, I ordered 5 boxes and they arrived today. It pays to ask, because there's a likelihood that one or two people actually know. I'm asking the question to determine whether the SAAMI reamer has too long a throat for this bullet, requiring a reamer with a shorter throat or a 3" box.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
NOS bullets sitting on a shelf are a different proposition than bullets that have yet to hit shelves. Though Hornady says the 62 ELD-VT is shipping, so hopefully we'll all have a chance to try them out very soon.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm guessing that this is some type 24 cal rifle, 75gr V-Max leads me to think that. Answer seems simple to me. Each rifle might differ a bit so there's no right or wrong answer for that! Start with FL die set to neck size only. Couple of shots and the case won't chamber anymore. At that time screw die in maybe a quarter turn at a time until you can no longer feel the case neck or the bullet rubbing as you close the bolt. Then you'll need to check to be sure the loaded round will fit in the magazine! If it does then your just off the lands. I don't care how far that is, just that it's not touching. The cartridge you have at that time may or may not feed into the rifle of the same cartridge. Seems no two cartridges are the same! I had two 243's and loaded them this way and cartridges from one would work in both rifles but cartridges from the other would only chamber in the rifle they were developed in.

The data in loading manuals for OLL is a number that will allow a cartridge loaded to it to work in every factory rifle chambered for that cartridge. It's the one size fit all minimum OLL! If your going to load your own, that OLL will allow the cartridge to work in your rifle. But experimenting with OLL just may improve the cartridge in the rifle you loading for. How much maybe the minimum length or the length you finish up with, no guarantee either way. But if you do load to minimum length the ammunition will work in any chamber length wise! A new chamber reamer is bigger than a used reamer that has reamed it's last chamber!

First develop the case for the chamber using minimum OLL and then adjust OLL as mentioned above for that rifle and that one only! In the 2 243's I had each rifle had their box of ammo identified on the box. Otherwise I could have simply loaded all the ammo to the smallest chamber and used it in oth rifles even though one would probably shoot the ammo different than the other.

Reason to Partial size in the first place is to get the case to fit the chamber you have, not the one size fits all! Once you have that, the larger case will have the shoulder moved forward a bit which will also move the neck forward a bit. Moving the neck forward a bit will move the shoulder forward a bit. Probably why you want to know OLL, the bullet to make the length will actually seat deeper in one case that another to get the same OLL. Another thing's thing's I have done and still do sometimes if the seat the bullet one caliber length into the neck if it will still fit the chamber and the magazine, to seat to the junction of the neck and shoulder. Seating to the junction of the neck and shoulder created one small problem for me with a 7mm Rem Mag. Bullet seated that way would not let the round chamber with 160gr bullet's, my bullet of choice. The lands had to be cut back to allow the bullet to be seated out without the bullet touching them. End result was with the bullet seated forward in the case I actually ended up with more case capacity and the rifle became one of my most accurate ever.

If this rifle the op is talking about happens to be a Rem700 in 6mm, I doubt this will work. Problem being the magazine I tried it in was simply to short to allow the bullet out that far. As a result there was some built in free bore in the rifle I had no idea how to fix! Rifle did shoot exceptable though, wife's rifle, so I simply left it as it was. Sometimes the goal we chase simply can't be reached.

Last edited by DonFischer; 01/31/24.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I'm guessing that this is some type 24 cal rifle, 75gr V-Max leads me to think that. Answer seems simple to me. Each rifle might differ a bit so there's no right or wrong answer for that! Start with FL die set to neck size only. Couple of shots and the case won't chamber anymore. At that time screw die in maybe a quarter turn at a time until you can no longer feel the case neck or the bullet rubbing as you close the bolt. Then you'll need to check to be sure the loaded round will fit in the magazine! If it does then your just off the lands. I don't care how far that is, just that it's not touching. The cartridge you have at that time may or may not feed into the rifle of the same cartridge. Seems no two cartridges are the same! I had two 243's and loaded them this way and cartridges from one would work in both rifles but cartridges from the other would only chamber in the rifle they were developed in.

The data in loading manuals for OLL is a number that will allow a cartridge loaded to it to work in every factory rifle chambered for that cartridge. It's the one size fit all minimum OLL! If your going to load your own, that OLL will allow the cartridge to work in your rifle. But experimenting with OLL just may improve the cartridge in the rifle you loading for. How much maybe the minimum length or the length you finish up with, no guarantee either way. But if you do load to minimum length the ammunition will work in any chamber length wise! A new chamber reamer is bigger than a used reamer that has reamed it's last chamber!

First develop the case for the chamber using minimum OLL and then adjust OLL as mentioned above for that rifle and that one only! In the 2 243's I had each rifle had their box of ammo identified on the box. Otherwise I could have simply loaded all the ammo to the smallest chamber and used it in oth rifles even though one would probably shoot the ammo different than the other.

Reason to Partial size in the first place is to get the case to fit the chamber you have, not the one size fits all! Once you have that, the larger case will have the shoulder moved forward a bit which will also move the neck forward a bit. Moving the neck forward a bit will move the shoulder forward a bit. Probably why you want to know OLL, the bullet to make the length will actually seat deeper in one case that another to get the same OLL. Another thing's thing's I have done and still do sometimes if the seat the bullet one caliber length into the neck if it will still fit the chamber and the magazine, to seat to the junction of the neck and shoulder. Seating to the junction of the neck and shoulder created one small problem for me with a 7mm Rem Mag. Bullet seated that way would not let the round chamber with 160gr bullet's, my bullet of choice. The lands had to be cut back to allow the bullet to be seated out without the bullet touching them. End result was with the bullet seated forward in the case I actually ended up with more case capacity and the rifle became one of my most accurate ever.

If this rifle the op is talking about happens to be a Rem700 in 6mm, I doubt this will work. Problem being the magazine I tried it in was simply to short to allow the bullet out that far. As a result there was some built in free bore in the rifle I had no idea how to fix! Rifle did shoot exceptable though, wife's rifle, so I simply left it as it was. Sometimes the goal we chase simply can't be reached.
That's really valuable information Don, but it is not on point. It would probably be better if you just ask questions, rather than giving advice. With your Rem 700, you just buy a Wyatt extended mag if yours is a hinged plate design. And no, it's not a 24 caliber.

E
E
[/quote] I'm happy for you to explain how it wouldn't give a very good indication of the difference in my chamber? Like it's not as though in your chamber they would touch at the same COAL, but in mine, the 62 ELD-VT will be .060" shorter COAL than the 75 gn Amax with both touching.[/quote]

I think I already did. Happy and safe shooting to you.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
[/quote] I'm happy for you to explain how it wouldn't give a very good indication of the difference in my chamber? Like it's not as though in your chamber they would touch at the same COAL, but in mine, the 62 ELD-VT will be .060" shorter COAL than the 75 gn Amax with both touching.

I think I already did. Happy and safe shooting to you.[/quote] Differences in individual bullets of the same type and differences in lead angles etc with different chambers will only account for very minor differences. Minor differences would not disqualify getting a "very good indication" which were my exact words as opposed to an "exact amount" of the differences in my chamber. In fact, the differences in individual bullets should be disqualified because you would take several readings with different bullets and average them out. If you had actually done this on different chambers, as I have, you would actually know that what I say is correct, instead of acting as though you know, when you don't.

E
E
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
If you had actually done this on different chambers, as I have, you would actually know that what I say is correct, instead of acting as though you know, when you don't.

No need to make it personal, sorry I hurt your feelings. Have a nice day.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
If you had actually done this on different chambers, as I have, you would actually know that what I say is correct, instead of acting as though you know, when you don't.

No need to make it personal, sorry I hurt your feelings. Have a nice day.
You didn't hurt my feelings. What you did was reply to my post with your views which was fine and when I pointed out that the things you mentioned would still result in a very good indication of the difference in my chamber, instead of you accepting that you were incorrect, you just dishonestly pretended you were still correct with your smartarse reply "If you say so".

E
E
Got it, have a nice day.

Last edited by Emlupi; 02/01/24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 1lessdog, 02bfishn, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.