Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have been tinkering around with a savage 99 in 303 that I got off of Gunbroker several years back. It's a take down that had really been through the mill. It had a straight stock lever that had been repaired with a brass braze job. I think they cracked the lever trying to bend it to fit the pistol grip stock they had on it. I'm thinking that they broke the straight stock and slapped the pistol grip stock on. Of course the lever didn't bend enough to fit the pistol grip so they just let the lever into the pistol grip. I filed the pistol grip down to a perch belly profile and Jeffg set me up with a new lever. After conferring with Jeff and some file and polishing work I got the action to close and lock up.
Now I am trying to get the cartridge counter to display properly. A while back there was a video on here about the counter. Thought I had down loaded it but I can't find it. Can anybody point me towards that vide??

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Don't know anything about the video, but the cartridge guide controls the position of the 0 counter, and the cartridge pressing against the bottom of the bolt controls 1 through 5. The bolt must be closed for the counter to indicate properly. Changing the carrier spring tension/torsion has nothing to do with the round indicator.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The counter is out of sync number wise and doesn't always rotate to bring the cartridge up when the bolt comes forward. The spring is engaged in both engagement holes but I can't figure out how to set spring tension enough to show the correct number of cartridges and rotate properly.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by missedbycracky
Don't know anything about the video, but the cartridge guide controls the position of the 0 counter, and the cartridge pressing against the bottom of the bolt controls 1 through 5. The bolt must be closed for the counter to indicate properly. Changing the carrier spring tension/torsion has nothing to do with the round indicator.

Missedbycracky I believe you have been corresponding with JeffG about my lever fitting issues. Thanks for the input

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
This is the inlet job on the old pistol grip.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

So far this is what I've got for a stock re-shape. Fore end was cracked too. Glued it together with acraglas. Still needs to be scraped and sanded.
Serial#159111 20" thin barrel which I think is a 1913 gun??

Last edited by Buckheart; 01/28/24.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
WoW Buckheart! You really brought that one back from the brink! I like that you reused the abused butt stock and You added the perch-belly, well-done! You've re-created it in the spirit of an 1899A short rifle, nice faithful rebuild. Keep the Faith Brother!

The solution to your rotor orientation is to remove the cross pin, which will completely release the rotor spring tension, then pull the rotor forward and free of the receiver, (and the cartridge guide that orients it), Then put it back in with "0" showing in the window, then You can re-wind the rotor spring tension and replace the cross pin.

If you take pictures of the steps, and can share them here you'll be helping out a new member who also needed help with his buggered rotor (cross) screw,

1914 mfg

Last edited by JeffG; 01/28/24.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I wrote a procedure on care and feeding of the carrier and posted it on the 99 Club FB site in their Files section. If you do not have access to that, send me your email address and I will send it to you.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Yes 1914. Thanks JeffG. Missedbycracky sending you a pm with email

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 50 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,507
Posts18,472,321
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.