Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
ruger1v Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Not sure if anyone has had this happen but this is the second time in 10 years I have had a Federal 10 Gauge shotshell "explode" in the chamber and separate the brass from the hull. The shells were never out in the weather, albeit they were over 10 years old. I made the mistake of throwing the original box away after I removed them and put in a MTM waterproof shell holder box. I had a similar box of Remington "T" shot that was over 20 years old and never have had an issue or misfire. I spoke with the Federal rep and he said they only warranty their shells for ONE YEAR!

The contents did go down the barrel but at no harm to the goose at which clearly should have crumpled at 30 yards, feet down coming straight in. One of the clients in the blind was shooting a BPS 10 gauge and offered to dig out the shell casing. When I pulled the trigger there was a violent discharge, enough to knock the charging handle out of the bolt! Luckily it only went about 6' away and was laying on the floor of the blind. The top part of the brass casing (missing in photo) must have ejected outside of the blind as it was not present in the magazine of the Browning Gold 10. Ironically the bottom of the brass casing with spent primer intact was still held in by the extractor. The plastic hull was lodged in the chamber of the barrel. The client is an avid trapshooter so he was well versed in "misfires". He verified the barrel was clear of obstruction and two Boss Bismuth #2 lead to the demise of the next two geese that used the same flight path.

What is disappointing was the cavalier attitude of the Federal rep (name withheld) who tried to tell me that the shells were old and brass deteriorates over time. Well little does he know but I build fire trucks and we use copious amounts of brass that does NOT deteriorate or weaken over time, UNLESS it is defective from the onset. He offered to do nothing. This may be old but I think by law they may be liable for injury or at least to issue a recall or safety notice. I am conferring with a lawyer friend/client that does nothing but product liability and he is researching to see what recourse I may have. All they would have had to do was offer to take back the remaining ammo I have and replace with new. Not the old Federal we used to know and trust I guess.

Guess I will switch to Boss. I shoot a Browning Gold and never had an issue with Boss.

Attached Images
20240122_104031_resized[1044].jpg (16.51 KB, 937 downloads)
20240123_095546_resized[1046].jpg (54.86 KB, 933 downloads)

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Ruger Collectors Assoc.
www.mazoniahuntclub.com

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Not good

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hunting at Horse Chit Lake, maybe?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
ruger1v Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I own Mazonia Hunt Club in Central Illinois. Last couple of years have been brutal, as well as the start of this season. When the artic blast hit we had over a 100,000 geese hit the warm water of the nuclear power plants (3 within a 15 mile circle of my club properties) and within a day it was on. One pit shot over 250 geese (3 bird limit this year) in 6 days, only hunting mornings and letting the birds feed the fields in afternoon. We are nearest Braidwood Lake.

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
www.mazoniahuntclub.com
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ruger1v
I own Mazonia Hunt Club in Central Illinois. Last couple of years have been brutal, as well as the start of this season. When the artic blast hit we had over a 100,000 geese hit the warm water of the nuclear power plants (3 within a 15 mile circle of my club properties) and within a day it was on. One pit shot over 250 geese (3 bird limit this year) in 6 days, only hunting mornings and letting the birds feed the fields in afternoon. We are nearest Braidwood Lake.

MAGA.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ruger1v
Not sure if anyone has had this happen but this is the second time in 10 years I have had a Federal 10 Gauge shotshell "explode" in the chamber and separate the brass from the hull. The shells were never out in the weather, albeit they were over 10 years old. I made the mistake of throwing the original box away after I removed them and put in a MTM waterproof shell holder box. I had a similar box of Remington "T" shot that was over 20 years old and never have had an issue or misfire. I spoke with the Federal rep and he said they only warranty their shells for ONE YEAR!

The contents did go down the barrel but at no harm to the goose at which clearly should have crumpled at 30 yards, feet down coming straight in. One of the clients in the blind was shooting a BPS 10 gauge and offered to dig out the shell casing. When I pulled the trigger there was a violent discharge, enough to knock the charging handle out of the bolt! Luckily it only went about 6' away and was laying on the floor of the blind. The top part of the brass casing (missing in photo) must have ejected outside of the blind as it was not present in the magazine of the Browning Gold 10. Ironically the bottom of the brass casing with spent primer intact was still held in by the extractor. The plastic hull was lodged in the chamber of the barrel. The client is an avid trapshooter so he was well versed in "misfires". He verified the barrel was clear of obstruction and two Boss Bismuth #2 lead to the demise of the next two geese that used the same flight path.

What is disappointing was the cavalier attitude of the Federal rep (name withheld) who tried to tell me that the shells were old and brass deteriorates over time. Well little does he know but I build fire trucks and we use copious amounts of brass that does NOT deteriorate or weaken over time, UNLESS it is defective from the onset. He offered to do nothing. This may be old but I think by law they may be liable for injury or at least to issue a recall or safety notice. I am conferring with a lawyer friend/client that does nothing but product liability and he is researching to see what recourse I may have. All they would have had to do was offer to take back the remaining ammo I have and replace with new. Not the old Federal we used to know and trust I guess.

Guess I will switch to Boss. I shoot a Browning Gold and never had an issue with Boss.
Its the Browning IMHO. I've had that happen a few times in my BPS. they have been both RP and Federal. I really suspect their chambers are a bit large. IIRC I actually lost more cases to RP than Federal but it was both. and when they didn't split, typically the Fed cases, the extractor would rip a part of the rim off and leave the case stuck.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
shotshell Brass, likely isn't, never keep steel shot beyond 2, maybe three years at max. you seriously expect a manufacturer of disposable goods to warranty something a decade old? I swear to god the only people dumber than iowans come from illinois

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Naw the whole point is to go to Mazonia hunt club to shoot some geese got to admit sounds like a good infomercial.

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 01/28/24.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
shotshell Brass, likely isn't, never keep steel shot beyond 2, maybe three years at max. you seriously expect a manufacturer of disposable goods to warranty something a decade old? I swear to god the only people dumber than iowans come from illinois

I keep steel shot way longer than that.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Buds then new Browning 10 ga auto would rip the brass off the plastic...... on some turkey loads.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/28/24.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is that foreign material in the receiver (pic)?

Last edited by SupFoo; 01/28/24.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by moosemike

not me, i learned long ago 3 years is it, if it hasn't been out, no more than one season in a blind bag and even then as soon as I start to see any oxidation on the "brass" it goes. ive had too many issues from failure to detnate to not being able to chamber a round.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by moosemike

not me, i learned long ago 3 years is it, if it hasn't been out, no more than one season in a blind bag and even then as soon as I start to see any oxidation on the "brass" it goes. ive had too many issues from failure to detnate to not being able to chamber a round.
Wow. I have steel thats 10 years old. Still goes bang every last time.

Have lead thats even older and its never been an issue. Interesingly the only stuff that didn't at times was some new RP stuff in 20 years ago when I was a kid.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
SF that's the remains of the rolled paper wad. Federal hulls have had a steel head that is brass washed or coated for along time. I don't think I'd say the shell b lew up, more like a case head failure. I'd also want to see if the chamber had been properly maintained. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hookeye
Buds then new Browning 10 ga auto would rip the brass off the plastic...... on some turkey loads.
Exactly.. its weird thats at least 3 of us with 10 ga brownings that have had issues... Always wanted to trade to an SP10 and then the 3.5 12 came along and I just lost interest in paying for the swap.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I bought a pile of brenneke slugs on deep discount $1 for a 5 pack. They were litearlly from a fire sale when the old davis sport shop burned. Years ago.

They were water damaged, the boxes all ruined, and I bought about 8 or 10 boxes. Used them at the range and hunting. Years later you could see full blown rust holes in the brass. Rusted to all hell. In my Mossberg 500 I still used them to take deer. all went bang. one stuck.

I figured the brass doesnt do a whole hell of a lot on a shotgun shell in terms of safety. Was I just lucky? might even have one or 2 left.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ok, you made me laugh!

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect that it was a firearm issue over an ammo issue too. I’ve shot thousands of rounds of ammo waaay older than 10 years old without issue. I don’t think of 10 year old ammo as being all that old.

I’m not surprised by Federal’s response though. Given the amount of ammo that they sell I’d guess that they get complaints frequently just based on sheer volume. Without a box or the lot number and without Federal knowing the condition of the gun or other factors leading up to a failure I wouldn’t expect them to do much for 10 year old ammo with no further info and a random call from a guy that they don’t know from Adam.

R
ruger1v Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
For all the "experts" and those that think they are better than anyone else here....(gitem..12). I was a gunsmith for more than twenty years. Yes the chamber of the Gold Hunter was honed and polished years ago and every year it gets a refresh with Flitz. (Someone as smart as gitem ...12 would tell you that if it can eject Boss shells it should eject any others).

As far as the other snide comment on my "infomercial" , we are booked solid every year so I do not need (nor do I) advertise. 24 years as the number one rated club in the Central Zone.

Interesting how the trolls come out when someone tries to make an informational post so as to prevent someone else from possibly having a shell failure that could result in injury.

NRA Endowment Member
www.mazoniahuntclub.com
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ruger 1-V: I am glad you were not injured!
Don't want to get into the puzzling character assassination that is going on.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,328 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.