Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Like using a matchlock instead of your 6.5 Creed.

The modern way is to shoot a dozen and pick up the one you want! smile

Last edited by las; 01/28/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Back to the vinyl records the OP mentioned...what's that all about? I didn't think they were all that great back in the day...but I never had quality stereo equipment.

My hearing isn't good enough to tell the difference. But supposedly vinyl records still give better sound quality than any other medium. Assuming they are used with good equipment and speakers.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Back to the vinyl records the OP mentioned...what's that all about? I didn't think they were all that great back in the day...but I never had quality stereo equipment.

As someone who is new to the vintage hifi game, I’m not sure yet that I can answer your question. I’m playing Sinatra, rock, and Jazz albums on pioneer or technics TT to a Marantz, Hafler, or a Harman Kardon receiver and out through either Marantz Imp-6 or Diatone speakers and it all sounds great to me…but so does a digital track through the same setup. I have a sansui r-t-r tape deck to mess around with next and see how clean and deep I can get the sound to be.

But does it exceed a new turn-key digital music file setup? Idk. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Probably not for most folks including me, but it’s fun to dabble with. I fear a tube amp might be in my future. 😬
a good turntable, McIntosh amps, and Martin Logan electrostatic speakers... makes yer hair stand up!...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If Cookie went back to film (still have my Nikon F), I'd have to find a cosigner. I think today's digital units do a better job of capturing a wider array of lights and colors. Like I could never get good images of fish with film, but the digitals do everything from the whites and silvers to the blacks in a single image.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/28/24.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From 1989 until 1998 I did commercial real estate appraisal. At that time I would burn several rolls of 35 mm film taking pix of the subject of the appraisal and comps.
Now the real estate agents use digital drones for aerial photos of houses. Inspectors also use them for looking at roofs and other things they can't get at easily. It's a lot more fun than crawling around on a 6-12 2 story metal roof.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Drones are a game changer.

I do not have a 107 Pilots license, but......

anywho,

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/28/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Back to film or vinyl for fun or nostalgia? Sure.

But there are no other reasons to go away from the current best platform out there for sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The lab in this video still does quality film processing

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started with a Canon AE-1 in 1976. After a long hiatus, I'm back into photography with a
mirrorless digital Sony A7C. In my opinion, film photography requires much more thought. Digital pictures can be thrown into Photoshop, and a crappy picture can be turned into something decent - but it just doesn't have the soul of film.

- Rogue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Back to film or vinyl for fun or nostalgia? Sure.

But there are no other reasons to go away from the current best platform out there for sure.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
I started with a Canon AE-1 in 1976. After a long hiatus, I'm back into photography with a
mirrorless digital Sony A7C. In my opinion, film photography requires much more thought. Digital pictures can be thrown into Photoshop, and a crappy picture can be turned into something decent - but it just doesn't have the soul of film.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
For me its harkens back to a simpler, more innocent time. It is nostalgia for the most part, but I enjoy the thought process that is involved, kinda like in pistol craft --a well aimed shot vs. spray and pray which is all too common now- a -days.

That said, it is absolutely wonderful what one can do with digital, especially the idea of taking a pic. with your phone and sending it where ever.

I remain though, primarily a film guy.

Last edited by whistle1; 01/29/24.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
What a good video, he puts into words what I feel but could not articulate.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
The lab in this video still does quality film processing

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
I'm guessing that 90% of photos taken now are intended for social media and texting. Soul be damned. They'll never end up on a wall.

Here's why us amateurs like digital: Years ago my partner shot this great bull. The only photo he had was this old faded thing taken in his garage, hardly an elk's natural habitat. 25 years ago, I was learning Photoshop and I asked to have a crack at it. I scanned it to get it digital and spent that next hunting season taking pics in the forest looking for a suitable background scene. The 2d photo is what I ended up with. He's 79 now, crippled up and getting dementia, but he can still remember that hunt and the elk. He has the antlers and the photo on the wall. I'm proud of being able to keep his memory alive.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

― George Orwell

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of you guys are dead men walking. Telling AI to 'make me a photo of a nude Taylor Swift' will become 'make me a photo of a dead big buck with me in the photo'. It will all make Round Oak look like an amateur. I could tell AI to add a manure spreader to the photo.

People and objects can be deleted from a photo on a simple mobile phone camera, making a photo that never really happened. To me, a photo is capturing a moment of reality.

When we can't tell the difference between real and fake, it all becomes fake.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No printed photo lasts forever. Restoring a film photo is beyond the abilities of most amateurs and it can get expensive having it done professionally. Once a photo is scanned to be digitalized, anyone with some knowledge of Photoshop can do repairs and restoration on a home computer. Home printers don't do the quality of a film developer, but a restored photo can be stored digitally and reprinted any number of times as the print fades and deteriorates.
This is an aunt of mine, probably in the '20's, original and Photoshop restored. Of course a professional can do a lot better, but some of us just like to do things ourselves.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It hasn’t been very long ago that the image quality of digital approached film. I’ve always thought film added some depth.

But now, with high end full frame or medium format cameras with equally high end lenses, it’s not better enough to quibble.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
No printed photo lasts forever. Restoring a film photo is beyond the abilities of most amateurs and it can get expensive having it done professionally. Once a photo is scanned to be digitalized, anyone with some knowledge of Photoshop can do repairs and restoration on a home computer. Home printers don't do the quality of a film developer, but a restored photo can be stored digitally and reprinted any number of times as the print fades and deteriorates.
This is an aunt of mine, probably in the '20's, original and Photoshop restored. Of course a professional can do a lot better, but some of us just like to do things ourselves.

Nicely done Rock. She looks lovely.

- Rogue
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 6MMWASP, 79S, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 6 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,554
Posts18,510,420
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.