-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It wasn’t a “prop master”, it was an inexperienced young female “armorer” and she should be held every bit as responsible as Alec Baldwin. They should both be prosecuted.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I think he pulled the trigger, thinking it was a checked out and safe gun, but then made up the excuse on the spot that he didn't pull the trigger, and that it just went off by itself.

Actors are in the habit of assuming that the prop masters wouldn't hand them a loaded gun on a movie set. They are not gun people, by and large, which is why prop masters are hired to make sure actors are never given loaded guns.

The party at fault is really the prop master on set, who's hired specifically to maintain a safe environment with firearms on the set that are going to be handled by actors who are to be presumed not to know anything about guns or safe gun handling.

"Mr. Knotts, here's your gun ... now you are going to point it that way and pull the trigger for this shot."

[Linked Image]
Early on, there was brief mention of possible sabotage, due to some sort of extreme disharmony among the crew. Then, strangely, nothing more was said about that. But, the fact that live rounds had made their way onto the set does seem to strongly suggest sabotage. Had I been the prosecutor responsible for that case, I’d have had my investigators very thoroughly interviewing every person who could possibly shed any light on that theory, with search warrants requested for live .45Colt cartridges accessible to crew members. While I certainly don’t think very much of Alec Baldwin, I nevertheless see all the attention surrounding his conduct as a red herring.

An investigator would definitely rule in favor of foul play, in this case. If not, they are not much of an investigator. Someone wanted this to happen. It's pretty obvious. The whole set seems like a clusterfu ck of negligence. This was no accident, I can assure you of this..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RHClark
IMHO it doesn't matter at all if he pulled the trigger or not. It doesn't matter if he knew the gun was loaded or not. He backed the hammer and pointed a gun at someone and killed that person with it. Anyone else in the history of the world would have been held responsible for that act.
Really??

"Mr. Knotts, here's your gun ... now you are going to point it that way and pull the trigger for this shot."

[Linked Image]

Do all actors then get a free pass? Can anyone else ever get a pass by claiming they didn't know the gun was loaded?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Do all actors then get a free pass? Can anyone else ever get a pass by claiming they didn't know the gun was loaded?
People are hired in movie and TV production precisely to see to that, under the understanding that actors know little to nothing about firearms safety, and are being asked to handle things they know little if anything about. Since folks are hired for precisely that purpose, those folks are liable, not the actors, unless you can prove intent on the part of the actor, or that they intentionally disregarded specific instructions by the professionals on set.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
An investigator would definitely rule in favor of foul play, in this case. If not, they are not much of an investigator. Someone wanted this to happen. It's pretty obvious. The whole set seems like a clusterfu ck of negligence. This was no accident, I can assure you of this..
The differences between a 5-in-1 blank cartridge and a live .45Colt cartridge are very obvious in appearance and weight. However, a dummy cartridge, meant to achieve a loaded gun appearance when a muzzle-on camera angle is to be used, would be of similar weight and overall appearance, but would have obvious indicators, such as a clearly distinguishing marking or at least the absence of a proper primer. The likelihood that the live cartridge was purposely inserted is just too great to ignore. The gross negligence of the actor significantly contributed to produce the extreme consequences. But remember, the original wrongful act results in its perpetrator being fully liable (both civilly and criminally) for any reasonably foreseeable consequence of that wrongdoing. Obviously, the later gross negligence of an an arrogant and stupid actor is reasonably foreseeable (and quite possibly a certainty).

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The differences between a 5-in-1 blank cartridge and a live .45Colt cartridge are very obvious in appearance and weight. However, a dummy cartridge, meant to achieve a loaded gun appearance when a muzzle-on camera angle is to be used, would be of similar weight and overall appearance, but would have obvious indicators, such as a clearly distinguishing marking or at least the absence of a proper primer. The likelihood that the live cartridge was purposely inserted is just too great to ignore. The gross negligence of the actor significantly contributed to produce the extreme consequences. But remember, the original wrongful act results in its perpetrator being fully liable (both civilly and criminally) for any reasonably foreseeable consequence of that wrongdoing. Obviously, the later gross negligence of an an arrogant and stupid actor is reasonably foreseeable (and quite possibly a certainty).

Very cogent analysis. Refreshing to read a post that doesn’t sound like an old Western lynching party.

Rick

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
" ...
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it standard protocol on movie sets to never ever actually point a weapon, even a prop gun, directly at another actor, that directors and cameramen set up the camera angle to merely suggest that act? Dunno, why I'm asking.

Yes, it is "standard protocol," but there are some dumb (and very arrogant ) actors in Hollywood, who do not follow on-set filming protocol. I believe Baldwin knew not to cock that revolver, aim it at the woman, and pull the trigger. I certainly do not believe he knew it was loaded with a live round.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
People are hired in movie and TV production precisely to see to that, under the understanding that actors know little to nothing about firearms safety, and are being asked to handle things they know little if anything about. Since folks are hired for precisely that purpose, those folks are liable, not the actors, unless you can prove intent on the part of the actor, or that they intentionally disregarded specific instructions by the professionals on set.

So only actors get a pass for acting irresponsible. Glad we are clear on that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Incorrect. Add politicians to the list of those who get a pass for irresponsible/illegal acts.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Do any of us think Baldwin shows any remorse for what he did, I don't, tried to lie his way out of it.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Only because people are hired to maintain safety on set under the recognition that the acting talent isn't familiar with firearms or their safe handling. It's a general legal principle that goes beyond TV and movie sets.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Only because people are hired to maintain safety on set under the recognition that the acting talent isn't familiar with firearms or their safe handling. It's a general legal principle that goes beyond TV and movie sets.

OK ,you seem to know more about it than I do. In what other profession- situation could someone shoot someone and not be held responsible because it was somebody's else's responsibility to check the gun? Can you think of any situation other than Baldwin?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

OK ,you seem to know more about it than I do. In what other profession- situation could someone shoot someone and not be held responsible because it was somebody's else's responsibility to check the gun? Can you think of any situation other than Baldwin?

Good though!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Liberals want citizens to pass ever more rigorous background checks to buy a gun. Potential hunters must take safety classes before being allowed to purchase a hunting license. Isn't it about time that actors who handle firearms are required to pass a firearms safety class? This incident with Baldwin isn't the first time an actor has died from a supposedly unloaded gun.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Brandon Lee was killed by an "unloaded" gun on a movie set.

"Lee, who was the son of martial artist Bruce Lee, died after his co-star, actor Michael Massee, fired at him with a prop gun during filming on March 30, 1993, in Wilmington, North Carolina. Although the revolver was loaded with blanks, the gunpowder in the blank cartridge ignited, leading Massee to unknowingly fire a bullet fragment at Lee, who later died in surgery.

While Massee did not face any criminal charges, Lee's mother did successfully sue filmmakers for an undisclosed amount."

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Brandon Lee was killed by an "unloaded" gun on a movie set.

"Lee, who was the son of martial artist Bruce Lee, died after his co-star, actor Michael Massee, fired at him with a prop gun during filming on March 30, 1993, in Wilmington, North Carolina. Although the revolver was loaded with blanks, the gunpowder in the blank cartridge ignited, leading Massee to unknowingly fire a bullet fragment at Lee, who later died in surgery.

While Massee did not face any criminal charges, Lee's mother did successfully sue filmmakers for an undisclosed amount."

I’ve never read a summary of Brandon Lee’s s death that made sense, including this one - “The powder in the blank cartridge ignited?”.

So I did a search and found this.

Brandon Lee

Seems like what happened is this. Someone on the crew tried to make dummy rounds that didn’t have powder, but did have live primers. The gun was fired and the primer pushed the bullet out of its case and it got stuck in the barrel. The next scene used squib loads that did have a small amount of powder.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 257Bob, 222Sako, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.