Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
i bought a Diamondback DB15 5.56 NATO mostly for target shooting also would like to use it for small meat hogs what do you use to put them down? Most shots will be under 100 yards.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
any dang thing you want, yet if FMJ then head only shots IMHO.

small meat hogs under 100 I'd use suppressed 10/22 and subsonic ammo... but since you said the AR... I actually like the small barnes bullets. Very little damage. Kill well enough. According to some to expensive... of course they have almost 1000 in a gun and optics, 2000 if suppressed... so that theory is out the window for me.

Others... 63 Sierra semi point was always pretty good. Most 55 soft points are too frangible for our tastes. OTOH we have lots of heavier IE 69-77 ish match hollow points around and they have never left us wanting and usually not that much damage though the damage from them tends to be somewhat variable.

You can go frangible. But it might destroy meat...

We run 40 vmax at home since there are so many houses around.. if you can keep it in the ribs it works great. Which is hard on running hogs at night with a thermal. But the first one you can control.

If its 150 pounds or less it won't take a lot of killing for sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
65 Sierra BTSP. I've shot dozens with this bullet. It has great expansion and pretty good penetration. With smaller pigs its perfect. I've shot a couple large boars with it and it's never left me wanting.

55 FMJ will also work. I'll defer to Rost on headshots only as my experience with them in the shoulders/ribs is convincing, but very limited. Less than a handful.

The 55 Barnes TTSX is an excellent deer and pig round for 223.

Last edited by Petro; 01/29/24.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Probably shot more with the 55 gr. M193 than all other rounds combined. Worked pretty good with head, neck and shoulder shots. Lost some also but since I was not that interested in recovery most of the time I didn't care. I remember one night killing three with 4 shots, one a finisher all shots in the shoulder. The jacket on the M193 in it's original form was so thin you could sometimes see lead at the bottom of the cannelure.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The various 62-64 gr. bonded bullets like the Federal Fusion and Speer Gold Dot are fantastic for such purposes. I think Winchester and probably Remington have similar loads. The Barnes TSX would be great, I like the 62 gr. version of that. Federal has a 60 gr. Nosler Partition that would be great also.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shoot 'em in the ear and it doesn't matter what you use.

I've killed a lot of hogs with .223's... But for multiple targets usually running after the first shot, I have a .308 AR10.

I personally don't hunt with FMJ's on any animal.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
like the above, it does not matter if you shoot head/ear... I've killed hundreds with FMJ's.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the replies,, I did some reading up on hunting ammo for my gun I like the Barnes. My DB15 has a 1:8 twist so I'm trying to decide which would be best to try.
Barnes VOR-TX 5.56/45mmm 70 gr TSX Boat Tail.

Barnes VOR-TX 5.56/45mm 62 gr TSX Boat Tail

Last edited by Riverc; 01/30/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It also depends on where you intend to shoot them. If you think it will mostly be shoulder area vitals, the TSX/GMX loads will work fine, although they lean more to penetration and less to fragmentation (pigs likely to run if bone isn't hit). Another option is the heavier-weight cup/cores or bondeds like the 65gr SGK, 77gr TMK, and various Fusions and Gold Dots. They'll work well on shoulders and necks, as well as softer tissue. Varmint-ish loads and FMJ works also, but you better stick to well-aimed hits in the neck/head. I generally keep my truck/buggy AR loaded with the 77TMK or 65SGK, but I'd probably pick up some the Fusion or MSR loads if shooting factory. The Barnes really needs to hit big bones to be most effective, at least at AR15 carbine speeds. My two cents.....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Riverc
Thanks for the replies,, I did some reading up on hunting ammo for my gun I like the Barnes. My DB15 has a 1:8 twist so I'm trying to decide which would be best to try.

I have used the 62 gr. TSX from a 16" AR on both deer and hogs. It worked with no issues, the vitally struck critters would flinch and run 40-60 yards and pile up. Exit holes were small and I honestly think if I were to use a TSX again I would drop down to the 55 gr. with the idea that the mono bullets need high velocity to really open up and do their work. The 16" barrel limits velocity and the 55 gr. might be a little more dynamic inside the critter.

I like the bonded soft point 62 gr. Fusion and Gold Dot better for an all-around bullet.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
75 grain swift scirocco worked for me on several pigs and deers as has the 62 grain tsx shoot for bone with the tsx has worked.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC

I have used the 62 gr. TSX from a 16" AR on both deer and hogs. It worked with no issues, the vitally struck critters would flinch and run 40-60 yards and pile up. Exit holes were small and I honestly think if I were to use a TSX again I would drop down to the 55 gr. with the idea that the mono bullets need high velocity to really open up and do their work. The 16" barrel limits velocity and the 55 gr. might be a little more dynamic inside the critter.

I like the bonded soft point 62 gr. Fusion and Gold Dot better for an all-around bullet.
Yep I would have to agree with the 55g Barnes, reason being is that I called Barnes for a recommendation for deer and possibly hogs, ar in 5.56, 16 inch, 1–7 twist and they recommended 55 grain to my surprise.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dons99

Yep I would have to agree with the 55g Barnes, reason being is that I called Barnes for a recommendation for deer and possibly hogs, ar in 5.56, 16 inch, 1–7 twist and they recommended 55 grain to my surprise.
Interesting so what y'all saying is my 16" barrel 1:8 twist would be better with a.223 55gr Barnes instead of 5.56/45mm 62 or 70 gr. Barnes.
I thought the 62's or 70's would do yhe job quite well with all the reviews from people using them hell some swore 70's were a must for quick kills and it's all they would ever use.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I've killed a lot of hogs with .223's... But for multiple targets usually running after the first shot, I have a .308 AR10.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Granted I've been lucky but if I hit on running shots the 40 vmax has yet to loose a pig. Hits a bit far back IE guts, it tends to dump em quickly anyway.

No flies on the 308 but there is recoil.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Interesting so what y'all saying is my 16" barrel 1:8 twist would be better with a.223 55gr Barnes instead of 5.56/45mm 62 or 70 gr. Barnes.
I thought the 62's or 70's would do yhe job quite well with all the reviews from people using them hell some swore 70's were a must for quick kills and it's all they would ever use.
The short barrel and attendant lower velocity leads to less expansion and narrower wound channels. If you feel you have to use a mono I’d use light ones. I’d much rather something softer based on having killed a few hundred pigs with about 25-30 different bullets out of 16 and 18 inch 223s.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
If not loading your own? Look for Palmetto AAC 5.56 spec OTMs or softpoints on sale. You could probably even use the V-Max for head/neck…..they’re all generally more accurate than FMJs and can be had cheap, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

So along with Barnes I also contacted Hammer Bullets and asked for same recommendation. They have .223 up to 80g and again to my surprise he recommended 57g HHTs. I'll be going to the range soon [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]bp gas near me

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think it's been said but the 63 grain Sierra SMP would be ideal with a stiff load of Tac.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
mono bullets for smaller stuff I'd always run lighter than normal so to speak.

If I was trying to make the 223 into a huge penetrator I might consider the 62/70 grain mono range.

50 ttsx for us in 223 for the times we dont' use other bullets for other reasons.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 3,290 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,607
Posts18,473,729
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.