Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I am in desperate need of education for how to properly take care of good leather. This could be anything from nice leather car seats, a new Bianchi thumb tab holster I recently acquired for a S&W model 67, a few really nice Weatherby slings that need a freshening, and even cleaning up some of my work shoes

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you ready for at least 3 dozen different answers?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L e a t h e r * c o n d i t i o n e r .

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I hope one of them involves 97 coats of some obscure chemical that stopped being made in the 60s, with burnishing in between with an actual live mink. Accompanied by photos of the completed work on a coffee table.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having MANY leather holsters all the way back to SevenTrees for an original Walther PPK:
Use quality shoe polish, sparingly. Anything else is risking softening the leather too much ruining its holster shape for the pistol. Shoe polish also takes care of scratches.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Clean with saddle soap, and finish with netural color shoe polish.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Montana Sling Leather Treatment.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I hope one of them involves 97 coats of some obscure chemical that stopped being made in the 60s, with burnishing in between with an actual live mink. Accompanied by photos of the completed work on a coffee table.

Ha!

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Treatment depends on the type and the condition of the leather. For virtually any type of leather (except suede) clean with saddle soap as Heym06 mentioned above. Get one of those little round natural bristle brushes that are used for shoe polish, but use it only for saddle soap - no polish. Dip the brush in warm water and work up a lather in the saddle soap tin, then brush the leather piece in a circular motion until clean. Then wipe clean with a dry cloth, then wipe again with a damp cloth to remove any residue. Let dry fully.

Next step: for fine leather, use a conditioner such as Connolly, Wolfgang or Lexol. Any of these will work well for automotive, scabbards, holsters, furniture or leather furniture. I generally use Wolfgang for automotive interiors, if I have it on hand. I would not use shoe polish on anything - it rubs off under any type of friction and can stain easily; however, if you must use shoe polish, make sure you buff off as much as possible. After this procedure, buff with a soft cotton cloth, if desired. Buffing with a live Mink, as Stickfight mentioned above, is also highly desirable, if you should have one available, though you should wear heavy gloves 'cause that live Mink will bite the living schit out of you.

For older, dry or cracked leather, or boots, clean in the manner above with saddle soap and let dry fully, then use Neatsfoot oil and rub into the dry leather until somewhat pliable, if not supple. Boots generally only need one coat of Neatsfoot oil. I don't recommend using Neatsfoot oil more than a couple of times per year; otherwise, the leather will get too soft and loose shape.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/29/24.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP or Murphy’s Oil Soap full strength right out of the bottle, certainly not the best, but both have worked for me.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Neatsfoot oil, but it does darken the leather

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I appreciate the information so far. I have some conditioner from a Lexol spray bottle for car leather, just wondering if there are better options. I used it on the holster last night and it seemed to do a good job.

Have a leather repair question. I noticed the tab on the inside of the thumb break has separated slightly. Not a huge deal, but would like to fix it and stop from growing. Advice please?
I do not not know what to use to "glue" leather. Here is a photo.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Try this and thank me later

https://leatherbetter.ca/

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barge contact cement will glue that separation. Follow the directions. Let dry, burnish the edges.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use Lexol, if you want a good oil try Fiebing's Saddle Oil. Saddle Oil will not stain clothing like Neat's Foot Oil

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Barge contact cement will glue that separation. Follow the directions. Let dry, burnish the edges.

No idea how to "burnish the edge". Have Googled it but hoping for a way to do this without expensive tool for a small repair.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Stay away from whatever Maxine Waters' cosmetologist uses.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

That was easy enough. Next topic.

The way life should be.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by High_Noon

No idea how to "burnish the edge". Have Googled it but hoping for a way to do this without expensive tool for a small repair.

You don't need an expensive tool to burnish. Tandy Leather has several burnishing tools under $10.00. and Tracanth for $5.99, which is a burnishing solution. In lieu of a burnishing tool, you can use a piece of antler or bone, but these do not have the grooves of a proper tool, though they do work. You can find directions online. You can also use other things as a burnishing solution. All this info can be found online.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/29/24.

- Del Gue
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 16gage, 39 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,146
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.